Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jens

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Hello there,

I'm fairly new to Macs and Sountrack Pro so please bear with me!

I'm currently tasked with cutting clips from long audio interviews. They're provided in .wma so I convert them to .mp3 using Switch. Once in Soundtrack Pro I'm cutting and trimming them, improving the sound quality, saving them as WAVE files and finally, using Easy WMA to convert them to mp3.

The majority of clips have been fine but there are few particular clips which are cutting off prematurely. It doesn't matter how much allowance time I leave after the desired end point, (I've tried from 5 seconds to 50 seconds) it always cuts off at the same point - a point before the end of the sentence. Has anyone come across this before?

Also, while I'm here, can anyone tell me what is the most effficient format to use audio in Soundtrack Pro? just that .mp3 takes a long time to decompress when opening. Of course it depends on the length of the audio but I was wondering if there is anything quicker?

If anyone has any advice or suggestions, I'd be very grateful...
Thank you!:eek:

AviationFan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Also, while I'm here, can anyone tell me what is the most effficient format to use audio in Soundtrack Pro? just that .mp3 takes a long time to decompress when opening. Of course it depends on the length of the audio but I was wondering if there is anything quicker?
Hi Jens,

I don't know why the audio ends prematurely. If everything sounds right in the MP3 file, I would try to use iTunes to convert it to AIFF. (You can select AIFF in the import preferences, which should subsequently offer you a "Convert selection to AIFF" menu entry.) I have often converted files this way and never ran into the problem you described.

AIFF is, from my experience, a good audio format to work with for high quality results. WAV should be the same, even though AIFF seems to be more popular on Macs. MP3 yields decent results for audio delivery, but keep in mind that it was not intended to compress intermediate results that will need to be uncompressed, processed, and compressed again - these multiple uncompress/compress iterations can do a lot of harm to your audio. It's generally recommended to work with uncompressed audio (such as AIFF) or special compression algorithms designed for multiple repeated applications 9which MP3 is not) until the final delivery of the sound.

Hope this helps!

- Martin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.