PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy? reality? plain cool. New G5?

seamuskrat
Jun 21, 2003, 10:46 PM
This is a link that was SUSPOSSEDLY on the Apple France site tonight.
http://digitalstudios.geneva-link.com/movies/film-enya.mov

http://digitalstudios.geneva-link.com/index2.html

Now, in reality, it looks like someone spec showcase of rendering talent (and its nice). But I had not seen it yet, so who knows.

nospleen
Jun 21, 2003, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by seamuskrat

Now, in reality, it looks like someone spec showcase of rendering talent (and its nice). But I had not seen it yet, so who knows.

Holy crap! I keep telling myself that it is too good to be true. I am glad I just sold my PB and my dual 1.42, just in case!!;)

rice_web
Jun 21, 2003, 11:37 PM
This is obviously fake, but whoever did this is a pretty good 3D modeler. It would take anyone a fair amount of time to produce something that high a quality.

Xceptional_Haz
Jun 21, 2003, 11:38 PM
definetly fake, but it sure looks nice.

solvs
Jun 21, 2003, 11:57 PM
:confused:

I hope that's fake. I don't like it. Maybe it looks better "in person".

If it is fake, someone went through a lot of trouble.

irmongoose
Jun 22, 2003, 12:05 AM
Wait wait, why would Apple have 3D rendering of their new machine? Who could even possibly think that this is real? Anyways, great stuff, but obviously someone has a lot of free time.

irmongoose

VIREBEL661
Jun 22, 2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by seamuskrat

THAT TOTALLY ROCKS!!!! THIS is what I would expect from Apple.... We'll see, but seems pretty innovative for just someone's 3-D exercise... Monday can't come soon enough! It's like waiting for Santa!:D

VIREBEL661
Jun 22, 2003, 12:09 AM
This also would explain the odd shaped logic boards we've all heard about....

mikeyredk
Jun 22, 2003, 12:27 AM
first of that mouse is a ONE botton mouse not a 3 button mouse that we were suppose to get plus that screen come on an oled display already?

but it was a nice piece of work

Winston Smith
Jun 22, 2003, 12:43 AM
If we get that my Credit card will fry. Shame we won't but the concept is the dogs

MUrhino
Jun 22, 2003, 01:03 AM
That setup would make me want to sell my brand new 17"PB!! Sweet Screen!!

benixau
Jun 22, 2003, 01:09 AM
i like the fact that the HDDs are accessible like they are and in XServe style modules.
If you could put your own HDD in a module and use it - really good for upgrading.
Shame he did it though - now apple never will.

solvs
Jun 22, 2003, 01:41 AM
Not to mention the fact that on the side it says FCP 3 and iTunes 3. And this on the bottom (translated with Altavista):

All the elements not belonging to APPLE or another company is the property of DIGITAL Studios.

© 2003 DIGITAL Studios

Go ahead, translate it. It's funny. But fake.

edit: plus the videos have "Think Different" at the end. Apple doesn't use that anymore. Hey, I have a life. I'm just... uh, ah, shut up, that's why.

maradong
Jun 22, 2003, 01:55 AM
nice job.
it s obviously fake. but who knows perhaps the apple people got "inspired" by the movie ;-)

Abstract
Jun 22, 2003, 02:14 AM
Was that hard to do? :p

Ah just joking. I still get good mileage on MS Paint, so I'll shut up now.

MisterMe
Jun 22, 2003, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by rice_web
This is obviously fake, but whoever did this is a pretty good 3D modeler. It would take anyone a fair amount of time to produce something that high a quality. It is not a "fake," it is a student project. They did not claim this to be a genuine Apple movie.

edesignuk
Jun 22, 2003, 08:26 AM
WOW! I like it, I like it a lot!

MUrhino
Jun 22, 2003, 08:38 AM
...because now I'm afraid that whatever Apple comes out with won't compare to the student project. That screen was sweet, as well as the cube, but whew....the way the screen goes transparent is just freakin' awesome. Maybe I'll be pleasently surprised, but I dunno. That setup makes me want a desktop instead of a laptop. Great job!

BigJayhawk
Jun 22, 2003, 08:49 AM
I think I've just seen the second coming! Or third coming! Or whatever!

aldk jjflajf ierhlf wjef.

Oh, I'm definitely losing it.

GREAT JOB!

rainman::|:|
Jun 22, 2003, 09:38 AM
one would think that the student in this case would be aware that apple has not put the words "think different" on anything in a long time...

not bad tho, somewhat imaginitive...

pnw

Dont Hurt Me
Jun 22, 2003, 09:41 AM
Anyways its very sweet, forward thinking,nice job to the one doing it. here is another photo thats out there floating around.

Haloader
Jun 22, 2003, 10:09 AM
It's fake. Scroll down the right side and you'll see an itunes 3 logog when 4 is clearly out.

irmongoose
Jun 22, 2003, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Haloader
It's fake. Scroll down the right side and you'll see an itunes 3 logog when 4 is clearly out.

Damn it! Please understand that this is not even supposed to look real! This is obviously a 3D rendering done by some student or professional with free time for either fun or as a part of their portfolio. It could even be just a guy testing his skills with a 3D software he downloaded from KDX or Carracho (OK, maybe not that much of a novice). But still, this is clearly NOT meant to be anything remotely like this (http://www.macrumors.com/downloads/61703pic.jpg), it's meant to be something like this (http://www.applele.com/).

;)

irmongoose

Jimong5
Jun 22, 2003, 11:30 AM
I can tell that he used bryce
(that style and jerks in the camera give it away, Bryce has a crud movement engine), and i complement him, as Bryce is a difficult app to handle complex things like that in. Bravo to whoever did that. but you think they could have at least used a doctored 970 pic rather then a Doctored G4 pict ;).

Dont Hurt Me
Jun 22, 2003, 11:48 AM
Thought i would post this for those that dont want to download the whole thing. But this was awesome and i love the ports on the bottom of display and total concept. Bravo!

cubist
Jun 22, 2003, 12:13 PM
The mammoth amounts of clear acrylic on the computer case are awesome. Why, it looks over an inch thick, and even thicker on the corner posts. Of course after the Cube experience we know that'll never happen. This "shoebox" shape is one that's not been used too much in computers, but seems to be becoming popular (Shuttle).

And the way the display goes clear is really cool. That would have to be an OLED (light-emitting) display of course.

As for the other pic, if that was the actual design, my first question would be: How do I get those horrible handles off? I use welded-wire shelves. The current El Capitan handles are bad enough.

Dont Hurt Me
Jun 22, 2003, 12:27 PM
actually i like the shoebox shape you call it. and i guess you think that acrylic will crack?? I like how the motherboard slides out the back and the way the drives are set up.

mnkeybsness
Jun 22, 2003, 12:54 PM
wow the computer looks more like a subwoofer than a computer. and that lcd? it's rediculous...the apple logo bulges out too much...i rate this 'prototype dream' a 2/5

daveg5
Jun 22, 2003, 01:14 PM
excellant this should be the cube 2
totally awsome

Dont Hurt Me
Jun 22, 2003, 04:07 PM
I agree

Ryan1524
Jun 22, 2003, 05:37 PM
it'd be even cooler if the holo projection screen is not between two projector bars, but coming from one horizontal bar that's lying on the desk instead.

and see how everything's wireless? maybe a BT network. Apple should hire this guy. :D

altivec 2003
Jun 22, 2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Ryan1524
it'd be even cooler if the holo projection screen is not between two projector bars, but coming from one horizontal bar that's lying on the desk instead.

and see how everything's wireless? maybe a BT network. Apple should hire this guy. :D

Yea, i just was about to comment on the wireless-ness of everything. It is an amazing job, but I realy would be disappointed if that were the real g5 that we were going to get. It is too boxy :o. I wouldn't mind a computer with 4 g5s in it though.... He must have way too much time on his hands to make a whole copy of the apple page! Man i wish i were him... lol. Actually i am soooo close to having way to much time on my hands cause i plan to give my speech final exam this monday (and get home to watch the wwdc!). Still, sooooo cool and i wish my maya skills were this good... Well, better get back to work on the speech outline. later peoples

ginjg
Jun 23, 2003, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by BigJayhawk
I think I've just seen the second coming! Or third coming! Or whatever!

aldk jjflajf ierhlf wjef.

GREAT JOB!

Read Fluke by Christopher Moore and that phrase will forever bring to mind something very other

colocolo
Jun 23, 2003, 01:49 AM
Did anyone notice that he swapped the Y and Z keys position? Very weird

daveg5
Jun 23, 2003, 02:42 AM
before dell gets him
the way the drives and motherboard come out is seamless, understated and unique, worthy of genius status.
made me forget about the lack of front firewire/usb and second optical drive bay, neither are needed, i see now i can use firewire for the drive and use the monitor for ports. i take it its height adjustable. 1 button mouse (i want my ipod mouse) wont do it, and the mic should be a video cam. who exactly did this anyway.
this is way better than thosw other fakes, i doubt apple can top iy, but you never know?

Abstract
Jun 23, 2003, 02:47 AM
I doubt it too. Its too sweet an idea. Even if the monitor isn't realistic, its still a fantastic computer with the 22" Apple monitor. And you're right about the motherboard and HD.....genius.........pure genius.

Sabenth
Jun 23, 2003, 04:32 AM
What in gods name is this thing.......... not saying its a fake not saying its genuine but my god if thats a concept get the guy onboard now.............

Eric_Z
Jun 23, 2003, 06:04 AM
This has got to be one of the sweetest case designs I've ever
seen, the only things that I have to complain about when
watching this mock up, is the limitation of only having one optical
drive and the way that the placement of the memory limits the
size (two of three) of the PCI/PCI-X cards that you could use.
Other then that it's spot on!

crassusad44
Jun 23, 2003, 07:02 AM
Did someone actually belive this 3D redering was real?

Anywayz. Nice design. A mixture of the Quicksilver, the Cube and the old all-in-one Performa models (the way the motherboard was pulled out).
I don't think the G5 will look like that though. But I do hope we will see a cubish design. Maybe we'll also see the return of the cube. Some site (was it MacWhispers??) noted that two motherboard designs was underway and ready for production. :) :)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 23, 2003, 07:40 AM
Fake - blah - and the tech for the monitor is nice, but there ain't no such thing as that available yet.

Also, the modelling was ok, but the camera movement was crappy - not smooth at all. They'll need to work on that when they do one for the G6 ;)

Also, I don't like it - too monlithic, too short, fat and ugly, no clean lines and it doesn't match the monitor at all. If they had thought about the design at all, they'd realize that its more than using the same material that makes it Apple branded design - there are simillarities in the curves and accents. This über cube looks like a bulldog....

D

Belly-laughs
Jun 23, 2003, 08:06 AM
This is ridiculous! This is a Strata 3D model with dodgy boolean operations inspired by a 2001 JVC home stereo. There´s omeone out there with too much spare time on his hands!

BigJayhawk
Jun 23, 2003, 08:19 AM
What are you two (last two posts) talking about???

This was a PROJECT!!! You know, learning through practice. As soon as you two post 3D renderings that are better than you can come back and criticize.

At least READ the info before posting criticism (Mr. Anderson). "There ain't no such thing as that available yet." REALLY, now there's a newsflash for you. I think that the rest of us realized that this is not SUPPOSED TO BE REAL! It's not even an Apple project. "They" don't need to "work on that when they do the G6" because "they" don't even work for Apple.

As for Belly Laughs "This is ridiculous" statement, once again -- get a clue. I'm waiting for you to post something better. Even then, this would be a GREAT EFFORT.

I APPLAUD THE EFFORT HERE. Even if I had "too much time on my hands" I couldn't even COME CLOSE to an effort like this. Rather than criticize, I'll just admit it.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 23, 2003, 08:30 AM
This was a PROJECT!!! You know, learning through practice. As soon as you two post 3D renderings that are better than you can come back and criticize.

I use 3D daily, been doing it for 10 years. You misunderstood me as well - I *know* they don't work for Apple, I was joking about the G6 and mentioned it to imply they can do a little better. The modelling was good, design not as good, and like I said the animation could have been smoother. Its a simple mistake, but with all the effort put into it, its a small adjustment to smooth the path of the camera so that it travels cleanly would have made a huge diffence.

A lot of work went into, that's for sure and I appreciate the work. So I'm a little critical, tough. As for my work, when my new portfolio is up and running I'll remember to give you the link. :D

D

Belly-laughs
Jun 23, 2003, 08:45 AM

Yes, I think you are.

Apologies.

Jimong5
Jun 23, 2003, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
I use 3D daily, been doing it for 10 years. You misunderstood me as well - I *know* they don't work for Apple, I was joking about the G6 and mentioned it to imply they can do a little better. The modelling was good, design not as good, and like I said the animation could have been smoother. Its a simple mistake, but with all the effort put into it, its a small adjustment to smooth the path of the camera so that it travels cleanly would have made a huge diffence.

A lot of work went into, that's for sure and I appreciate the work. So I'm a little critical, tough. As for my work, when my new portfolio is up and running I'll remember to give you the link. :D

D

Judging by the camera behavior, I think its Bryce, and just to say after using bryce- thats very high quality camera movement for that app. i reallly wish that was better then it was.

Vlade
Jun 23, 2003, 09:04 AM
Its odiously a 3D model, but a nice one :)

Mr. Anderson
Jun 23, 2003, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Jimong5
Judging by the camera behavior, I think its Bryce, and just to say after using bryce- thats very high quality camera movement for that app. i reallly wish that was better then it was.

Actually, I think it is Strata3D after looking at one of the other animations that had the wireframes - I used Stata way back in the mid 90s. I've since moved on to Lightwave.....oh, and for BigJayHawk, here's an image - simple one of something I created from scratch - the modelling is all mine. If you'd like me to do a fly by of it, I'd be happy to - but I'll have to render it later and it will take a while.... :D

Oh, and yes, the model took me a while to get right.......

D

BigJayhawk
Jun 26, 2003, 10:48 AM
I like to "dabble" in various things but 3D is well beyond anything I'll ever be able to "dabble" in.

Out of curiousity, does that thing come with a G-6? heh.