Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Howard Brazee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
Lafayette CO
The iTunes consolidate command copies all my songs into one library - which means now I have more copies of the songs.

My computer's disk space is tight - how do I consolidate while getting rid of duplicates instead of creating more?

Howard Brazee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
Lafayette CO
You can Show Duplicates from the View menu. Maybe delete them from there.

I'm not talking about duplicates that iTunes sees, I'm talking about copies of the original files that I can find searching my computer.

Show Duplicates does show that iTunes will play a few songs that are duplicated - but not either of these are shown:

C:\Documents and Settings\brazee\My Documents\My Music\Compilations\Blue Album 1967-1970 (Cassette)\18 The Balad of John & Yoko.mp3

nor

C:\Documents and Settings\brazee\My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music\Compilations\Blue Album 1967-1970 (Cassette)\18 The Balad of John & Yoko.mp3

iTunes sees one of these, but not the other - even though it created them both.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Okay, sorry mate. iTunes will see all the music files in the folder you consolidated to (which is listed in the iTunes Preferences). Therefore it's safe to assume that all music files outside of this folder can be deleted. Can you use Explorer to find all music files not within the library directory, and then delete them? Sorry, I don't know of a way to consolidate a library that involves moving rather than copying.

Howard Brazee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
Lafayette CO
Okay, sorry mate. iTunes will see all the music files in the folder you consolidated to (which is listed in the iTunes Preferences). Therefore it's safe to assume that all music files outside of this folder can be deleted. Can you use Explorer to find all music files not within the library directory, and then delete them? Sorry, I don't know of a way to consolidate a library that involves moving rather than copying.

Is there a way to be confident that I know where all of the consolidated songs are and that the other directories are just leftovers?

Besides looking at each song individually, that is?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Erm... Well you can be pretty confident. Consolidating the library copies everything into the one location (listed in Preferences) that isn't already there. That's its specific purpose and I haven't seen a machine that's failed to do this. Nevertheless, if ever you're wary of deleting something, simply move it to the Trash (or Recycle Bin) and leave it there for a week or so. The system won't be able to access it so it'll effectively be deleted, however you can still get it back if need be. After a week, if you're not having troubles, then empty the Trash/Recycle Bin. :)

Howard Brazee

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 24, 2006
Lafayette CO
Thanks. I checked this setting, ran "consolidate", exited iTunes, created a "delete me" folder on my desktop, and moved all of the albums in my music directory which were not in this consolidate directory to the "delete me" folder, then restarted iTunes.

It appears to be working correctly. Tommorrow, the "delete me" folder gets deleted.

I tested by searching for "yoko" in my music directory and only finding one.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Awesome. It really should be fine to delete all that stuff. iTunes relies heavily on file location so moving files within Explorer would break iTunes' ability to play the track. In other words, if it works now then it'll work when you delete the tracks. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.