PDA

View Full Version : What tricks can my Mac teach my new Elite 360?

MovieCutter
May 1, 2007, 06:40 PM
Okay, I finally broke down and picked up a high end gaming console to go along with my Wii, an XBox 360 Elite. I can play Call of Duty on my MBP and 30", but it's just not the same and lacks sheer gaming power (not like I bought it for gaming or anything). So I now have an XBox 360+COD3+Oblivion+GOW. That's great, but I've heard that it can do so much more.

I'm a newbie when it comes to going beyond gaming in game consoles, so teach me anything and everything about what the 360 is capable of media-wise, especially when it comes to learning tricks from my Mac!

zap2
May 1, 2007, 06:42 PM
Connect360....allows streaming of media from Mac OS X to Xbox 360

zero2dash
May 1, 2007, 10:45 PM
Streaming is probably the extent of the "ooh ahh" factor. :D

Doesn't support any video format except .wmv I believe.
You need an update to use iTunes AAC files (available free of charge).

MGLXP
May 5, 2007, 02:44 PM
With the Spring Update coming sometime in May, Xbox 360 will support H.264 (Baseline, Main and High Profile) and MPEG-4 Part 2.

Streaming is probably the extent of the "ooh ahh" factor. :D

Doesn't support any video format except .wmv I believe.
You need an update to use iTunes AAC files (available free of charge).

displaced
May 14, 2007, 07:21 AM
With the Spring Update coming sometime in May, Xbox 360 will support H.264 (Baseline, Main and High Profile) and MPEG-4 Part 2.

Yep. Nullriver have just released an update for Connect360 which now supports streaming these added formats to the 360.

I've been using Connect360 since I got my 360 5 months ago and it works great. The only problem I have is down to the 360. I have Connect360 running on both my Mac Mini and my Macbook Pro. Ideally, I'd like the 360 to present a list of machines that are available to stream from and let me browse them. However, Microsoft's slightly bone-headed design means that you have to wade through menus to 'disconnect' from one machine and link it to the other each time I want to stream from a different machine.

(on the plus side, the Spring update has made the dashboard a little less cumbersome to navigate with the new Marketplace blade. It's still not particularly slick in any way other than visual, unfortunately)