Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kalmia

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2006
Florida, USA
So my boyfriend owns an iBook G4, 1.33 GHz, of which I was the original owner. I originally bought it in November 2005, and it went through a couple of repairs during the time I owned it--once for logic board failure, and the second time, right after I got it back, for a malfunctioning trackpad. (The button wouldn't register a click unless you, quite literally, slammed it with your fist. Nice.)

Now, obviously, the warranty has long since expired, and I never bought Applecare, but the trackpad is acting up again. Every so often, without any rhyme or reason, the trackpad and button will completely cease to function. In the past, this could sometimes be alleviated with a good hard press in the general vicinity of the trackpad cable, but now it requires a reboot, after which it works perfectly again. The frequency isn't at all consistent--sometimes it will happen a couple of times within a few weeks, other times it'll be months between occurrances. As such, it's not terribly frequent, but it is annoying, and it is cause for concern should he ever want to resell the machine (he's looking to upgrade to a MacBook sometime later this year).

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? Any ideas as to what it could be? Quick fixes? Delicious smoothie recipes? :p

Thanks in advance!

~Kalmia

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Use a good banana in your smoothies and you can't go too far wrong. Also, a touch of yoghurt can do wonders. As for the trackpad, it can be reset by holding your palm (or your boyfriend's palm) over it for five seconds or so. I've sold my iBook, but I found the trackpad would play up every now and then (usually related to how hot the machine was getting) but resetting it always helped. It's quicker and easier than a restart, so hopefully it'll help you and your boyfriend too. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.