Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beingme

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2006
I have a point and shoot Canon sd600 and when I use the viewfinder to compose my pictures, they differ from the end result I see on the lcd screen of the camera when reviewing. Is the viewfinder inaccurate or is it just me?

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Does the viewfinder look through the lens?

EDIT: I've just looked on a website and the answer is no.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I have a point and shoot Canon sd600 and when I use the viewfinder to compose my pictures, they differ from the end result I see on the lcd screen of the camera when reviewing. Is the viewfinder inaccurate or is it just me?

I am guessing these are fairly close-up images; is that correct?

One of the shortcomings with point-and-shoot camera viewfinders is you are looking through a separate window at the subject - so there is a bit of parallax there. For something far away (say a tree, or a mountain) that difference of viewpoint is negligible; what you see in the viewfinder is pretty much what you get through the lens. But for something close to the camera, the angle through the viewfinder window is quite a bit different than the angle through the lens; so the viewfinder is not helpful in framing.

What you see on your LCD screen is through the lens, so the framing will be correct; but of course the resolution isn't that good, plus in bright sunlight the LCD image may not stand out sufficiently.

mfacey

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2004
Netherlands
I really only use my viewfinder when there's so much sun that I can't adequately see the LCD anymore. Funny thing is, Canon put so little effort into making a decent viewfinder on my Powershot G7, that when you have the lens fully zoomed in you can see a large part of it in the view finder... :rolleyes:

The alignment of the viewfinder also differs from one camera model to the other. I had a simple Nikon P&S previously where the viewfinder was way off irrespective of kind of picture I was taking. Needless to say I never ended up using it.

beingme

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 21, 2006
so dslrs do not have this viewfinder problem like point and shoots?

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
so dslrs do not have this viewfinder problem like point and shoots?

With an SLR, what you see in the viewfinder is what is coming through the lens - there's a little mirror or prism that reflects that light up into the viewfinder. When you hit the shutter release, the mirror/prism is flipped up out of the way.

This is true for both film and digital SLRs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.