Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonaseriksson

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
So why does alomost every single Microsoft-related news item get so many more negative than positive ratings on Macrumors? Like the recent one Silverlight, which is far superior to Flash and Ajax.

Like, will there ever be anything but arrogance from the (general) great mass of Mac users?

nightelf

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2003
I don't trust Microsoft.

They create their own implementation of standards to break compatibility.

They criticized Apple for the iPod + iTunes closed system, but rushed to copy it with the Zune.

They talk about giving consumers options, but stop developing Windows Media for Mac.

I am certain that if Silverlight is successful, Microsoft will have an enhanced version that will only run in Windows, completely forgetting about cross-platform compatibility.

Nicolasdec

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2006
São Paulo
Microsoft loves Doing theese things. I hear that Silverlight is going to be good. Cant wait to see it. But why make a new standerd we aredy have flash we dont need a nother one.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
umm it gets negative reviews because they want it as a standard, but in their own terms, and they always have subpar implementations on the Mac platform.

WMP?
Visual Basic being left out of Office 08?
the list goes on.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
Silverlight is NOT a Flash replacement ... it only complicates the video delivery system. Flash is NOT just a video deliver service ... it is an animation and application tool. Silverlight is ONLY a video delivery service ... nothing more.

It's only advantage is DRM which is bad for people, but a god send for greedy ass corps.
_

peace | neut

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
umm it gets negative reviews because they want it as a standard, but in their own terms, and they always have subpar implementations on the Mac platform.

WMP?
Visual Basic being left out of Office 08?
the list goes on.
That's exactly it. The moment Silverlight has finished off any competitors Microsoft will pull support for the Mac. Same thing they always do.

You simply can't trust them to own any standard.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
So why does alomost every single Microsoft-related news item get so many more negative than positive ratings on Macrumors? Like the recent one Silverlight, which is far superior to Flash and Ajax.

Like, will there ever be anything but arrogance from the (general) great mass of Mac users?

You need to learn about Flash and AJAX before calling Silverlight far superior. They ARE far superior in comparison to Silverlight.
_

peace | neut

jonaseriksson

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
Silverlight is NOT a Flash replacement ... it only complicates the video delivery system. Flash is NOT just a video deliver service ... it is an animation and application tool. Silverlight is ONLY a video delivery service ... nothing more.

ok, you need to go and read more. silverlight includes a mini-CLR (common language runtime) from .net, which basically means that you can write web applications using c#, vb, javascript, etc, that are more advanced than what flash allows you to do. and run significantly faster.

so no, its not just a video delivery system.

speakerwizard

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2006
London
dont trust the microsoft lol, however the mac platform is in need of another content delivery system that does have drm, on demand tv is kicking off here in the uk and are all windows only so far and the sad thing is we cant really blame them, (we are talking free on demand here not itunes payed dl)

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
dont trust the microsoft lol, however the mac platform is in need of another content delivery system that does have drm, on demand tv is kicking off here in the uk and are all windows only so far and the sad thing is we cant really blame them, (we are talking free on demand here not itunes payed dl)
Something like Adobe Media Player perhaps?

It's on it's way.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
ok, you need to go and read more. silverlight includes a mini-CLR (common language runtime) from .net, which basically means that you can write web applications using c#, vb, javascript, etc, that are more advanced than what flash allows you to do. and run significantly faster.

Ah, thanks for the info, but it's still not a Flash replacement. So is Silverlight the mini-CRL or is that in addition to Silverlight? Flash is an animation tool first and foremost ... not a primary runtime environment; though, this has been changing since AS 2.0 and even more so AS 3.

Sounds like it will be a replacement for Flex and AJAX and a commercial alternative for Flash (animated pages/ads/videos/etc) because of the searchable XAML.

As a Flash dev. I have no interest in Silverlight. I'm an animator that utilizes programing, not a programmer that utilizes animation.
_

peace | neut

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World

Why? Err, you think it might have something to do with Microsoft's history of producing 3rd-rate crappy products?

Yes. We know. Microsoft would rather reinvent the wheel rather than embracing any (preexisting) standards or methods that actually work. That isn't the Microsoft way. Microsoft needs to control <whatever> via proprietary "standard." That's the only way Microsoft can control <whatever> and make money from it.

Microsoft tried its best to avoid tcp/ip networking until Win95. Not due to stupidity, but due to the desire to "rule the online world." If Microsoft had its way in the mid-90's we'd now all be logging onto MSN via dialup to read MacRumors.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World

Wow! The fact that a new Microsoft product allows you to make use of and relies heavily on other Microsoft invented products and techologies, like .net, c#, and vb, sounds really, really exciting!

Let's all rush out and buy a copy of Vista and a Dell PeeCee to run it on! :rolleyes:

emorydunn

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2006
Austin Texas
Well, I decieded that I would try it out and install the plug-in. But, right off the bat- there was a problem: the .dmg was bad- it came up with a lovely little message saying that there was no mountable content. YAY Microsoft.

bmb012

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2006

It's only advantage is DRM which is bad for people, but a god send for greedy ass corps.
_

peace | neut

Freaking finally. I keep seeing this thing and wondering if it can be used to program games with hardware acceleration. I really hate Adobe for focusing on video with Flash, Flash does video horribly, and now people think that a new video streamer is competing with Flash. Silverlight has more in common with Quicktime (which apparently can do far more than anyone bothers to do with it, if the video on Apple's website is any indication) than it does with Flash.

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
Well, I decieded that I would try it out and install the plug-in. But, right off the bat- there was a problem: the .dmg was bad- it came up with a lovely little message saying that there was no mountable content. YAY Microsoft.

Try another browser. Someone mentioned having problems downloading with Safari.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World

That's probably just the result of a "feature" of Internet Information Services (IIS), another one of Microsoft's 3rd-rate crappy products.

Most likely, Microsoft intended the downloads to be made using the Microsoft's "official" Web brower, Internet Explorer (IE), a Web browser more in tune with Microsoft's own very special and unique Browser "standards". :rolleyes:

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois

OK, how about the many other reasons given. This is MacRumors and I assure you many Mac users will be cursing Silverlight's incompatibility, instability, obsolescence, and whatever else (random discontinuation probably) on the Mac in 5 years time.

Why does everyone here harp on Microsoft? Because everything they do turns out to be trash for us.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.