Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamfilip

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2003
burlington, Ontario canada
I am interested in signing up for the Apple student Developer program. im going back to school this September

i have heard that student developers can get access to purchase 1 system with peripherals at apple developer discount prices.

i have been unable co confirm this
does anyone know for sure

also im Canadian so any Canada specific info would be most helpful

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
should be fine so long as your a college student taking developer classes...please do a search there has been a flurry of disccussion on this topic and i'm sure old threas will settle msot of your concerns.

adamfilip

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 13, 2003
burlington, Ontario canada
thank i did do a search. but i have been still having trouble finding actual relevant info.

i wonder what qualifies as a developer course
i will be taking a new media classs. mainly dealing with flash. E-commerece, interactive media of many kinds.

evil

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
chicago ex-toronto
im a student in canada as well. i started a thread before about this same topic.
it was been the consensus that previously the student had to have developer classes, but now it is not needed.
one just needs to be a student.
and yes.
1 system with accessories at developer prices.
im going to be joining as soon as i can put together 99 bucks u.s.

adamcz

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2003
Wow thanks for bringing this to my attention. I had no idea I was a student developer until now, but this will save me a lot of money.

Somebody please hire me to compose music for their video game, so that I will technically be developing for something, and I won't be feeling guilty about this.

evil

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2003
chicago ex-toronto
Originally posted by adamcz
Wow thanks for bringing this to my attention. I had no idea I was a student developer until now, but this will save me a lot of money.

Somebody please hire me to compose music for their video game, so that I will technically be developing for something, and I won't be feeling guilty about this.
develop music for me and you wont feel guilty.
ill pay you with gratitude.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
the Student Apple Developer Connection Discount is only for those who pay $99 year for the Student ADC Membership. You are better off checking for regular student discounts through your school on the apple education discount site, unless you feel that the Student ADC Membership is really what you want: Student Apple Developer Connection

and by the way guys: Developer is defined as a software developer, not multimedia.

adamcz

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2003
The regular student discount is weak. Usually $50-$100 off a computer. If I pay the $100 to be a developer I'll save closer to $400 of a tower/monitor combo.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Originally posted by adamcz
The regular student discount is weak. Usually $50-$100 off a computer. If I pay the $100 to be a developer I'll save closer to $400 of a tower/monitor combo.
actually the developer discount is up to 20% off any hardware.
usually the software discounts are awesome for students :p
i agree, the regular edu discounts suck...but at least apple offers them, unlike other companies.
I love the ADC Hardware Purchase Program :p :p :D

MUrhino

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Don't have to take developer or CS classes!

Originally posted by Kwyjibo
should be fine so long as your a college student taking developer classes...

Actually you don't have to be enrolled in developer classes, or computer science classes....at least not in the U.S. I know because I used the program to buy my 17" PB. You just have to be a full time student and fax them a copy of your class schedule for the current semester or next semester. Enjoy the savings, but get as much stuff as you can, as almost everything except software has a substantial discount! Good luck!:D

MUrhino

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
Once again...

Originally posted by evil
develop music for me and you wont feel guilty.
ill pay you with gratitude.

I must correct those who don't know what they're talking about. The ADC Hardware discount saves you A LOT more than the regular education discount. Granted the discount is more gracious if you buy the "Power" products, but the savings are quite significant.

For example: 17" PB through ADC = $2639 as compared to the regular student discount of $3149.

Through ADC a 15GB iPod is $319, 30 = $399
regular Student discount = $369 for 15, and $469 for 30GB

Now if you want an imac or something you won't save as much, but you will still save more, including your $100 membership fee.

17" iMac through ADC = $1878...through student discount = $2271. That's $293 worth of savings right there, taking out your membership fee.

Like I said before, you save more if you buy a PowerMac or Powerbook, but as you just saw you still save if you want an iMac or ibook or something like that. Remeber this is a one time deal though, so you want to get as much as you can for your money. And who knows, maybe you can actually try developing while you're receiving the information and support from Apple. Good luck and I hope this silences those who are saying that the regular education discounts save you just as much.

WannabeSQ

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2002
so, could I, for instance, enroll in a "development" class, fax my schedule in, and get the discount, then drop the class once i have the computer? Sounds kinda wrong, but to save that kind of money, it might be worth it.

On second thought, It might be good for me to take a development class. Speaking of which, did we ever define what constitutes a "developer" class?

BTW, i assume these discounts also apply to monitors/peripherals?

GigaWire

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2001
No, you do not need any computer classes. I faxed a copy of a schedule that was nothing but 1 english, 1 math, and three history classes. Approval granted.

MacPearl

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2004
Wow!

Someone just told me about this ADC thing too. I've been thinking of switching from my Dell Inspiron 8100 to PB Al 15" for quite a while, but still hesitating with the cost and waiting for new promotion like 'buy a bundle get a bundle' (in last Sep 03). With this extra discount, I think I should act fast before I graduate. :p

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
woah someone dug this thread outta nowhere...
btw, what Apple means by developer is basically (anything that has to do with computers) developer. Not just software, not just hardware.

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
GigaWire said:
No, you do not need any computer classes. I faxed a copy of a schedule that was nothing but 1 english, 1 math, and three history classes. Approval granted.

That's a lot of history emphasis...where do you go to school?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.