PDA

View Full Version : Can the iPhone Save Radio Shack?

MacBytes
May 2, 2007, 12:22 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Can the iPhone Save Radio Shack? (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20070502132212)
Description:: The article then talks about Radio Shack’s struggles with selling “more lucrative post-pay multiyear plans”. But all of these struggles happened before the launch of the iPhone. The iPhone will require a multi-year plan. And the iPhone can possibly set an impact for Cingular overall. But will that success become Radio Shack’s success as well?

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

Mudbug
May 2, 2007, 12:22 PM
Ahhh, RadioShack. You've got questions, we've got batteries.

snakesqzns
May 2, 2007, 12:26 PM
Answer: No.

Who shops at radio shack besides grandparents and the occasional ham radio operator in a bind?

I came across this quote somewhere recently:

"Not even the CEO of Radio Shack knows why they're still in business."

grapes911
May 2, 2007, 12:30 PM
I love Radio Shack for wires, adapters, transistors, capacitors, etc. For stuff like this, they are usually the best and cheapest when you don't want to purchase in bulk. I'd just can't imagine purchasing a phone, TV, computer, or whatever else from them.

/"\/oo\/"\
May 2, 2007, 12:32 PM
is the iphone even going to be sold at radio shack :confused: for the sake of the customer, I sure hope it won't be

LaDirection
May 2, 2007, 12:33 PM

Who shops at radio shack besides grandparents and the occasional ham radio operator in a bind?

lol

I went there to get an audio adapter the other day just because they were the only place close to where I was. 80% of their inventory is pure junk. Dollar store-grade digital clocks, no brand PC's or TV's, and all more expensive than than brand name products at places like Best Buy. Seriously lame store.

grapes911
May 2, 2007, 12:37 PM
. . no brand PC's or TV's, . . .Then you didn't go to Radio Shack. They carry TV brands such as Audiovox, LG, Philips, Sharp, ViewSonic, and Panasonic. They also carry HP, Acer, Sony, and Toshiba computers. While I personally don't purchase such items from them, they most certainly do have them.

dornoforpyros
May 2, 2007, 12:40 PM
Ahh Radio Shack, we don't even have them in Canada anymore (well there's a few independent shops still open), but all the franchise owned ones got bought out by The Source by Circuit City (yes, that's it's full store name). Which is just as pathetic as radio shack, actually more so as they seem to think the sales floor can double as storage space, it's not un common (at least the one's I've stepped into) to see unopened shipping boxes stored in the corner, blocking merchandise.

bbyrdhouse
May 2, 2007, 12:49 PM
Wal-Mart has a better electronics section that RadioShack

aranhamo
I love Radio Shack for wires, adapters, transistors, capacitors, etc. For stuff like this, they are usually the best and cheapest when you don't want to purchase in bulk. I'd just can't imagine purchasing a phone, TV, computer, or whatever else from them.

I've always found them to be worthless for ICs and electronic parts. Every time I go in there, they're either out of stock on what I need, or they don't carry it at all. Especially in the case of ICs, they don't carry anything that's less than 20 years old. The store at my local university is better stocked than them, and cheaper.

n-abounds

From the Onion?

grapes911
May 2, 2007, 12:51 PM
I've always found them to be worthless for ICs and electronic parts. Every time I go in there, they're either out of stock on what I need, or they don't carry it at all. Especially in the case of ICs, they don't carry anything that's less than 20 years old. The store at my local university is better stocked than them, and cheaper.

I agree. I used to get all that stuff from the EE department at school. Now that I've graduated, RD is my only viable option (unless I order it online).

corywoolf
May 2, 2007, 12:56 PM
I had an interview at a RadioShack a couple months ago. I was shocked to hear this one didn't ever have the four computer's they sold in stock, they have to order them every time a customer wants one. They were selling the Apple iPod charger for $39.99, which is insane. The manager told me they sold about five iPods and maybe three to four cellphone contracts a day. :eek: He said the iPod is one of the top selling products along with it's accessories. I didn't want to piss off the manager, so I didn't tell him that an Apple Store is about to open in the same mall. When the Briarwood Mall (MI) Apple Store opens in June, you can bet RadioShack will be closing that store soon after. :p

Rocketman
May 2, 2007, 01:27 PM
Radio Shack, like most retailers relies on traffic to expose folks to the seasonal and specialty items they sell.

Selling iPhones will increase traffic.

Seling iPods has already increased traffic.

This is a successful business model which has had to morph as the "radio" hobby has declined in popularity and as DIY electronics has also dropped in prominence. They do offer a selection of specialty electronics and all the traditional stuff is in the catalog. Which raises the most notable RS employee utterance: "may I have your address for the catalog"?

They want to improve online and catalog sales to hedge the risks to retail.

Rocketman

snakesqzns
May 2, 2007, 01:37 PM
From the Onion?

Yeah that sounds right.

aranhamo
May 2, 2007, 01:56 PM
I agree. I used to get all that stuff from the EE department at school. Now that I've graduated, RD is my only viable option (unless I order it online).

You don't have to be a student to buy from the EE department at my local university. You do have to jump through some hoops to get the little cards they use (they don't take cash), but we were pleasantly surprised to learn that we didn't have to be current students.

SPUY767
May 2, 2007, 03:19 PM
Fry's killed radio shack. They have a better selection of everything than radio shack, and you can still buy one transistor, or a thousand.

TomSmithMacEd
May 2, 2007, 03:39 PM
wasn't it in the contract that the only two places you can buy an iPhone will be Apple and Cingular (att sorry) retail stores?

I'm pretty sure that is true

so if anything iPhone will help put Radioshack out of business.

nagromme
May 2, 2007, 07:49 PM
I find Radio Shack very useful, even though I price shop elsewhere too.

majordude
May 2, 2007, 08:17 PM
Ahhh, RadioShack. You've got questions, we've got batteries.

Now that's funny! :D

I never understood why they never changed their name. I realize that "radio shack" is a ham radio term but wasn't that the iPod of the 1950s?

Radio has been dead since the invention of the television and the word shack sounds like an outhouse.

Honestly, they used to have some good AM radios back in the 70s but what the hell have they sold since the TRS-80s? If you go into their store now, they have a few cell phones, a DirecTV display, some really crappy remote control cars in a pile in the middle of the store and that's it. Oh, and some batteries.

They must sell drugs out the back because they ain't selling anything out the front! :cool:

mduser63
May 2, 2007, 08:44 PM
Like others I still occasionally hit RadioShack when I need common connectors, a bag of resistors, common transistors, and that sort of thing, but their selection of components isn't that good anymore. If I'm not far away from them, I go to the local real electronics component shops for most parts since they tend to actually have them in stock. I don't even think of RadioShack for purchasing larger consumer electronics at all. Besides, I hate the constant "Do you have a cellphone? Need some batteries?" from RS staff even when I'm only buying a $0.99 transistor or something.