Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alanl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2003
sydney, australia
Hi,

I'm a potential "switcher" and I'm wondering what books/urls are there for the more hairy mac issues (like how to format/partition a harddrive on a mac), which motherboard will take how much ram of what type, etc. In other words I'm wondering if theres a equivalent of Muellers "Upgrading and repairing pcs" in the the mac world?

Also there appears to be a dearth of books on macOS programming. Could someone please point me to good resources (apart from ADC) on mac programming?

Thanks,

Alan

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
While I don't have any books, Apple's spec pages are very useful for finding out what their systems are capable of, what type of RAM they use, etc.

As for formatting and partitioning, it's pretty much the same on every Mac - boot off the OS X CD and choose Disk Utility from the menu. If it's a version prior to OS X, then boot off the CD and run Drive Setup. Really old ones come with a floppy called Disk Tools.

Even though this didn't directly answer your question, I hope it's helpful :)

pEZ

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
Madison, Wisconsin
That "Upgrading and Repairing PC's" book doesn't need a Mac counterpart because everything you need to know you can find out directly from Apple, especially when you are in the market for a new computer. When you go to customize your order, you can decide on the specs you want, including RAM - that will also tell you how much your machine can handle. And as far as other upgrades go, no worries about sound cards or video cards for the most part, unless you're in a dire need for an FPS boost at some point.

And as far as info on "hairy" issues like partitioning a drive, I simply typed in "partition" in the search box in the help viewer, and the number one relevant topic was "Partitioning a Hard Disk." You've probably heard it a billion times, but a Mac is just easier - everything is more accessible.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
developer stuff: o'reilly :)

anyway, just for some light reading you should check out Macintosh...The Naked Truth and The Second Coming of Steve Jobs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.