PDA

View Full Version : A cheap upgradable G4?

alanl
Jun 22, 2003, 01:47 PM
Hi,

I'm thinking of "switching" but I'm probably too broke to buy a new mac, so I'll probably have to upgrade an older G4.

I'll probably will use the mac for development/experimental purposes so I don't need the latest and greatest. I'm interested in writing software for OSX so I assume I should get a G4 of some sort?

I would like to get the best "non-upgradable" components (like the motherboard/cpu) and upgrade the other stuff myself (like hd, ram, etc)
Now I understand theres several motherboard revisions of the G4, so which one is the best value/most upgradable, and how do I identify it?

btw, If anyone is interested in selling their G4 in sydney, please let me know!

Thanks,

Alan

nagromme
Jun 23, 2003, 04:49 PM
The newer the better, I'd say. CPU speeds aren't officially upgradable--but companies do make upgrades anyway. (Unsupported by Apple.)

The G4 towers brand new just came down in price: $1299 for 1.25 Mhz. Not bad. And look for refurbished Macs (they have full warranty) at store.apple.com.

Good luck!

Nermal
Jun 28, 2003, 05:47 AM
You can get a brand new Power Mac G4 for $2399 (inc GST) straight from Apple. If that's a bit too steep for you, then you'll need to take the upgrade path. Basically, the newer the G4 motherboard, the more features it'll support. However, apparently the "Gigabit Ethernet" motherboard will support practically everything, and they can be found reasonably cheaply as they are a few revisions old now.