Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Headroadie2004

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 2, 2007
Howdy. I have a Dual 1.8 G5 post July 2004. I process a lot of video and my cpu temps are like in 5 degrees of the upper limit when im like running full tilt on the cpus. I would like to add a liquid cooling system to my machine to cool it down. It seems to start running slugish as the temp in the room rises and the cpu temps rise even if they are at idle. Im looking at cooling the cpus, voltage reg, memory, gpu and possibly the hard drive. Anyone got any suggestions. Right now i have a big ass noisy fan pushing a lot of air through it and it seems to help. But it is noise and not really cool when im trying to mix audio on my computer. Thanks for your help. I live in West Texas so it gets hot here.

Brooks

trainguy77

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2003
Have you tried using a fan control program to speed up the internal fans some? It would be very hard to add water cooling. It might be better for you to upgrade to a 2.5 ghz that already has water. OR just get a mac pro.

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Have you set the fan control to fast instead of automatic? By doing this, in the energy saver control panel, your fans will speed up a little bit more all the time and let everything be a few degrees warmer. Your machine also responds faster, at least that's my experience. Also I have a dual G5 1.8 and it never gets that hot. I let it fold 24/7, so I push it to the maximum.

Kosh66

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2004
Have you set the fan control to fast instead of automatic? By doing this, in the energy saver control panel

I have a PM G5, and I think your thinking of Processor Speed and not Fan Speed. This option in the energy saver panel keeps the CPU from saving energy and slowing down in clockspeed. It keeps the CPU at full clockspeed. It may indirectly affect the fan speed since the CPU is hotter.

I do this since I want the full use of the CPU in games. Hasn't caused any problem that I see, as I've done it for the life of my PM G5 which is over 2.5 years. But I don't think it's going to lower the temperatures of the PM G5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.