Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 20, 2003
New York
how fast would 10.2 run on a 233Mhz Powermac G3 (Mactracker says it is the MiniTower). I was wondering because my friend has one and is running OS 9.1. They want to know how fast it would be.
Thanks for any help!:D

Simon Liquid

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2001
Iowa
The adjective "fast" would not really be the one I'd choose in this case. If you're lucky, you might hit the bottom edge of "usable." My friend has a biege g3 266, he occasionally boots into 10.1 to perform various specific tasks. It's just fine for him to do little things, but for general use he pretty much always uses OS 9. He's never tried installing Jaguar on it.

If your friend wants do do this, remember you cannot have too much RAM.

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Re: 233Mhz Powermac G3?

Originally posted by bennetsaysargh
how fast would 10.2 run on a 233Mhz Powermac G3 (Mactracker says it is the MiniTower). I was wondering because my friend has one and is running OS 9.1. They want to know how fast it would be.
Thanks for any help!:D

I use 10.2.6 on a 333MHz beige PowerMacintosh, and it's okay. Fine for Finder, Web, Email. I use Dreamweaver and Photoshop on it too, and it's slow, but not terrible by any means.

It has 512MB Ram, and the stock SCSI HDD. I've put a 16x CDRW in it, and it rocks. Long may it live.

Thom_Edwards

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2003
rev a 233 imac

i've got jaguar on a rev a 233 imac, and it's acceptable. i did bump the memory to 512, so that helps.

a lot like gotohamish, just above, i use photoshop elements, golive, serve a few php-based websites for development purposes, do a little java, whatever. things may take a bit longer, but they work. i play zero games, so i can't comment on performance in that area.

just install jag already! you can get the benefits of x, and if it's too slow you can always boot to 9. plus, when you (or your friend) gets a faster machine, you won't have to worry about getting familiar with x. you really can't go wrong. just beef up on the ram.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
i run jaguar on a g3/266 w/ 160 RAM. dog-ass slow to use, but it's my webserver and it serves the (simple) pages just fine.

but it's a pain to sit at and use. some of the GUI doesn't work right, either (e.g. the little triangles in the dock don't display right, the GUI folding app doesn't display the protein).

applemacdude

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2001
Over The Rainbow
Also if you want it to go faster ill recommend overclocking it. I overclocked my G3 Minitower from 266 to 375 and you dont even need a extra fan.Don't go over 375 though, then the zif gets really hot. My cpu's temeperature is @ 90 degrees. Not to high i think.

Overclocking settings more

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.