Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006

Roy Pearson is the man behind this unlikely lawsuit, that hints at the lunacy that sometimes grips the litigation process in this most litigious of countries. Mr Pearson is a regular customer of the Chungs' dry-cleaning business, located between an off-licence and a Chinese take-away in a strip mall in east Washington, but moreover, Mr Pearson knows a thing or two about the law; he is an administrative judge with the city authorities.

The twisting tale of Mr Pearson's missing trousers began in the spring of 2005 when he had been appointed to his current position and was about to take up his position on the bench. According to court papers filed by Mr Pearson, he discovered that five Hickey Freeman suits that he took out of his cupboard were "uncomfortably tight".

He asked the Chungs to do some alterations on the waistbands of the trousers, asking them to let them out by two or three inches. He decided he would take them in for alteration one at a time. Mr Pearson claims that when he took in the grey trousers with red stripes for the $10.50 alteration on 3 May 2005, he was told they would be ready for him to wear when he started work on 6 May. But on 5 May they were not ready to be picked up and when he called back the following morning he was told that the trousers had been misplaced. The loss of the trousers and his inability to wear them for his first proud day in court caused him "mental suffering, inconvenience and discomfort", claims Mr Pearson.

The Chungs, who have had their business for 12 years, agreed to compensate Mr Pearson for his loss, offering first $3,000 and then $4,600. Mr Pearson declined such offers and the Chungs raised their offer to $12,000, many times more than the $800 Mr Pearson says he paid for the trousers. But the judge even refused that amount. Instead he used his knowledge of the city's statutes to come up with the eye-watering compensation claim that has led observers to claim that the case reveals some of the worst aspects of the US litigation system and highlights the need for urgent reform.

Mr Pearson based his $65,462,500 claim on two signs that the Chungs had hung inside their dry-cleaning store. One of the signs read "Satisfaction Guaranteed" while the other said "Same-Day Service". Based on these signs Mr Pearson has argued that he is entitled to $1,500 per violation - that is $1,500 for each of the 120 days that the two signs were in the Chungs' store. (He is also multiplying each violation by three because he is suing Mr and Mrs Chung and their son.) He has added to that $500,000 for "emotional damages" and $542,500 in legal fees, even though he is representing himself. And in an ingenious way to get even more money out of the Chungs, he has asked for $15,000 to cover the cost of hiring a rental car at weekends for the next 10 years. He bases this final element of his sought-for compensation package on the argument that having shown themselves to be unreliable, the Chungs have forced him to drive to an alternative dry-cleaners to take care of his weekly laundry needs for the foreseeable future.

The final twist to the story of Mr Pearson's misplaced trousers is that - according to the Chungs - they turned up a few days after they went missing. Mr Pearson denies they are the same pair of trousers but the Chungs and their lawyer, Mr Manning, are adamant. Mr Manning said the trousers were currently being held in a place of "safe keeping".

- Independent

If you'll excuse the jingoism: Only in the USA!

emanaydin

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2007
that's unbelievable! The day he went home and thought all that through, he must have been going crazy around the house.. The $500,000 he charged for "emotional" break down or w/e is probably from him tossing **** around his house and breaking ****

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
If you'll excuse the jingoism: Only in the USA!

At the risk of being labeled a Chauvinist, I won't excuse the jingoism. An example to the rule is just that, an example. If a country has a legal system predicated on the notion that every person is entitled to his/her day in court, then there will be people who take advantage of the system. The fault, in this case, rests with the person filing the lawsuit and does not serve as an indictment of the American legal system.

Finally, "Only in ..." has to be the most open-ended, over-used statement of all time. You can pretty much fill in the blank, as with most doctor/lawyer jokes.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 24, 2006
At the risk of being labeled a Chauvinist, I won't excuse the jingoism. An example to the rule is just that, an example. If a country has a legal system predicated on the notion that every person is entitled to his/her day in court, then there will be people who take advantage of system. The fault, in this case, rests with the person filing the lawsuit and does serve as an indictment of the American legal system.

Finally, "Only in ..." has to be the most open-ended, over-used statement of all time. You can pretty much fill in the blank, as with most doctor/lawyer jokes.

A case of 'lost in translation', me thinks.

:p

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
I'd have sued for shoe leather costs too - I mean all that wear and tear back and forth to get his trousers. Really, not ensuring he's properly compensated for all losses :eek:

They say a lawyer who represents him/herself has a fool for a client. Here is living proof.

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
Methinks otherwise.

This is a funny story, but it is indicative of nothing except how weird people can be sometimes.

Agreed.

I must say, though, in response to the OP: I'm not clear how a clear expression of contempt for the American legal system is a statement that's "lost in translation." (Statements such as "Only in the U.S.A." betray cynicism; they do not create an open dialogue.)

For the record, abuses like this one annoy me, but I can guarantee you that they happen in every country in the world with a democratically elected government and a legitimate judicial system. The penalties for filing "frivolous" lawsuits vary and there are varying points of entry for people into said legal system, but I'd rather the point of entry be too low than too high. It's far easier to correct excesses than right abuses.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Agreed.

I must say, though, in response to the OP: I'm not clear how a clear expression of contempt for the American legal system is a statement that's "lost in translation."

For the record, abuses like this one annoy me, but I can guarantee you that they happen in every country in the world with a democratically elected government and a legitimate judicial system. The penalties for filing "frivolous" lawsuits vary and there are varying points of entry for people into said legal system, but I'd rather the point of entry be too low than too high. It's far easier to correct excesses than right abuses.

Well, unfortunately often enough people succeed with frivolous lawsuits. Just think of the woman that burned her legs with hot coffee because of her own stupidity and got millions from McDonalds...:rolleyes:

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
read about this earlier. just insane. i hope the guy loses and has to pay these poor people back for their loss of time/money/and emotional distress caused by stupidity.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I wouldn't call myself the most patriotic of folks, but it sometimes confuses me why I get so uptight when people repeatedly bash the US. Sure, it's not perfect and it's got it's fair share of foolishness.. but it's a HUGE country with 300 million people!! Statistically, there's bound to be shenanigans! Again, not sure why I should care..

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
Well, unfortunately often enough people succeed with frivolous lawsuits. Just think of the woman that burned her legs with hot coffee because of her own stupidity and got millions from McDonalds...:rolleyes:

The sad thing about that case is how little people know about the particulars. As I recall, there were a few issues there.

1. The lid on the coffee cup was not properly attached--nor could it be because of a design flaw
2. The coffee was more than 200 degrees--far hotter than coffee is meant to be served and hot enough to cause bodily injury

Now, here are two examples of frivolous lawsuits:

1. Apple records suing Apple Computer (Where: England)
2. The overweight man who sued McDonald's for his excessive weight (Where: US o' A)

mac 2005

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2005
Chicago
I wouldn't call myself the most patriotic of folks, but it sometimes confuses me why I get so uptight when people repeatedly bash the US. Sure, it's not perfect and it's got it's fair share of foolishness.. but it's a HUGE country with 300 million people!! Statistically, there's bound to be shenanigans! Again, not sure why I should care..

I think the reason is simple. Rather than sharing the story so we could all have a laugh at the nonsense of the case, the OP uses it as a foundation on which to indict an entire nation. "Only in the USA" certainly ranks low on the insult scale, but the OP uses it to lump all Americans in the same boat as person filing the lawsuit.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I think it should also be noted that just because someone sues for $X, doesn't mean they get that amount. The judge may rule in favor of the man, but only give him $500 for the cost of the trousers. I don't think anyone in the world REALLY thinks he could get $65mil out of a dry cleaner.

I think the reason is simple. Rather than sharing the story so we could all have a laugh at the nonsense of the case, the OP uses it as a foundation on which to indict an entire nation. "Only in the USA" certainly ranks low on the insult scale, but the OP uses it to lump all Americans in the same boat as person filing the lawsuit.

That works for me.

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
great, and this guy is a judge?! :eek:

I think this should immediately open the door to have his sanity evaluated.

$0.5 million pain and suffering for not having a particular pair of pants for a day of work? I might reward myself with a cup of coffee on a day that bad, not half a million dollars.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
He rejected a settlement offer of $12,000. If a court awards him less, he could be faced with paying their legal bill (at least that's how it works over here - if you refuse a settlement and get awarded less, you have wasted court time and have to pay your opponents costs).

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Methinks otherwise.

This is a funny story, but it is indicative of nothing except how weird people can be sometimes.

Yes, people from other countries have sued for weird reasons as well, but the US is home of the frivolous lawsuit. It's as American as apple pie. People just like to laugh at these cases, and your country supplies many of the "haha"s, that's all.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
The sad thing about that case is how little people know about the particulars. As I recall, there were a few issues there.

1. The lid on the coffee cup was not properly attached--nor could it be because of a design flaw
2. The coffee was more than 200 degrees--far hotter than coffee is meant to be served and hot enough to cause bodily injury

Now, here are two examples of frivolous lawsuits:

1. Apple records suing Apple Computer (Where: England)
2. The overweight man who sued McDonald's for his excessive weight (Where: US o' A)

Even if the coffee hadn't had a lid at all, coffee is hot, you don't put it between your legs while driving. And besides, who decides at what temperature coffee is served? You should KNOW coffee is hot and can burn you.

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
You've clearly never worn assless chaps.

Well not to work. The article stated he took his pants in 1 pair at a time so presumably he had at least one pair of assed pants at home to wear to work. That's the cost of the pants + dry cleaning bills for a week/month for compensation, not $0.5 million.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.