Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elec999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2007
Since the mac mini has build in bluetooth. Can I use bluetooth headphones with it, without a receiver.
Thanks

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Since the mac mini has build in bluetooth. Can I use bluetooth headphones with it, without a receiver.
Thanks

Most bluetooth headphones require a transmitter that is paired with them. Like the iMuffs. You need to check if the headphones you want to use can be paired directly to the computer.

elec999

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2007
Most bluetooth headphones require a transmitter that is paired with them. Like the iMuffs. You need to check if the headphones you want to use can be paired directly to the computer.
How do I know if the headphones can be paired with the bluetooth in the computer.
Thanks

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
You should really never, ever need a proprietary transmitter for a bluetooth device, by definition.

The issue is that OS X 10.4 does not include A2DP for Bluetooth, which is the advanced audio protocol that allows for stereo audio. It's necessary for stereo headphones or really any BT application that streams *music* as opposed to just a phone conversation (headsets for phones don't use A2DP).

If this is an Intel-based Mini, you might be able to benefit from:

http://david.connolly.name/blog/hub...Bluetooth-Profile-A2DP-on-Mac-OS-X-Tiger.html

Apparently, Leopard will also include A2DP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.