PDA

View Full Version : OS X 10.1 from 10.0.4

Beadlien
Aug 20, 2001, 07:58 AM
Does anybody know if 10.1 will update 10.0.4 or whether it is going to be another System Install?
Thanks.

Shaft
Aug 20, 2001, 11:47 AM
Because of the new API's and Core and the other stuff it will be a whole new install.

See ya

Shaft

Stryker
Aug 31, 2001, 06:47 PM
Does anyone have any help comments on how best to deal with the 10.1 "clean install" situation? It appears that Mac OS X 10.1 will NOT allow upgrading from earlier versions (10.0.4, etc.). It will do a clean install. Does this mean that you have to reformat your HD, backup your apps, etc. OR will it be similiar to a clean install under OS 9.x where it simply renames your System Folder to "old system" or something and allows you to manually drag and drop files back in to the new System folder?

Anyone from Apple know how this is going to work?

john123
Sep 1, 2001, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Stryker
Does anyone have any help comments on how best to deal with the 10.1 "clean install" situation? It appears that Mac OS X 10.1 will NOT allow upgrading from earlier versions (10.0.4, etc.). It will do a clean install. Does this mean that you have to reformat your HD, backup your apps, etc. OR will it be similiar to a clean install under OS 9.x where it simply renames your System Folder to "old system" or something and allows you to manually drag and drop files back in to the new System folder?

Anyone from Apple know how this is going to work?

Well, things are a little different now. You aren't going to see the proliferation of "Extensions" under X because...well...it's just not that kind of OS. Your apps will remain in the Applications folder that your first X installer created, and your old system will be nuked and replaced. Other things that you might have installed in the Library file would remain as the installer would see no reason to replace them.

Stryker
Sep 2, 2001, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the reply! ... so, basically, are you saying that while OS X 10.1 will replace my 10.0.4 "System" folder, I will NOT lose any of my application or Finder preferences, plug-ins, custom files, etc.? In other words, are you saying that all of these files are located in the external "Library" folder (not the Library folder IN the "System" folder) or elsewhere and NOT inside the "System" folder? If so, that will make the upgrade easier!

john123
Sep 2, 2001, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the reply! ... so, basically, are you saying that while OS X 10.1 will replace my 10.0.4 "System" folder, I will NOT lose any of my application or Finder preferences, plug-ins, custom files, etc.? In other words, are you saying that all of these files are located in the external "Library" folder (not the Library folder IN the "System" folder) or elsewhere and NOT inside the "System" folder? If so, that will make the upgrade easier!

You got it...in fact, an interesting wrinkle is that if you install 10.1 and then go *back* to 10.0.4 or a previous version, most everything is left intact too! At least that's how it's been on the beta builds of 10.1.....

Stryker
Sep 3, 2001, 03:37 AM
Awesome! I can't wait for 10.1! I have had OS X for a while now but I have NOT used it (until now) because it is sooo slow compared to OS 9.2.1 (I even have 384MB of RAM in my PB2000 G3 400MHz). I have only now started to use it to get myself ready for 10.1 so that I can (once and for all) switch to OS X from OS 9.x forever! I love OS X in general and think it has MANY incredible features (protected memory, security, unix, Aqua, etc.) but thought it was sluggish. Now I'm excited. So, just WHEN will 10.1 be released? Anyone know?

john123
Sep 3, 2001, 01:11 PM
So, just WHEN will 10.1 be released? Anyone know?

The consensus among everyone who is "in the know" is that it'll come out in the second half of the month. The reason is that it hasn't hit GM (Golden Master) stage yet, and so once it hits that, it has to be mass produced, etc.

Some people think it'll go out at Paris; others think it'll go out right before. My guess is you'll see it on the 26th at Paris, because I can't see Jobs being willing to give up "ooohs" and "ahhhs" to get a product out a week to 10 days earlier.

Stryker
Sep 3, 2001, 02:57 PM
Yup, that makes since. I knew that it had not been Mastered yet. And Paris makes since -- although those darn French never seemed to be impressed with anything American except that goofy actor/comedian that used to play in those slap-stick movies (pathetic).

... I guess that means I won't have it in my hands 'til October 1st or so. Se la vie.

moi37
Sep 3, 2001, 05:49 PM
impression conveyed deserves some recognition. Unlike many other countries the French are determined not to be steamrollered by the all pervasive American culture - and this is a good thing - if we were all the same the world would be a boring place indeed. More pertinently, France is Apple's biggest European market , a sign that when taste matters the French can differentiate the good from the bad! The Apple Expo is in Paris, not so that Steve Jobs can buy his wife (or secretary) a dress, or visit the Eiffel Tower, but precisely because it is here where they are most appreciated.

Stryker
Sep 3, 2001, 09:07 PM
... I beg to differ ... I think Steve Jobs is going to Paris for the food AND shopping. NOT for the "people". But you had me at "hello".

Stryker
Sep 3, 2001, 09:33 PM
Can someone please explain how the whole classic thing REALLY works under OS X? I.E., if I use NetBarrier and Norton Antivirus and TechTools Pro extensions, etc. in OS9, do I need them under Classic mode in OSX? Will they even work? Does OSX's firewall, for example, make NetBarrier unnecessary or do I still need it to protect Classic side? Also, if I use Norton Antivirus X do I still need the OS9 version installed? I am trying to learn how Classic truly interacts with OS X.

john123
Sep 3, 2001, 10:00 PM
Can someone please explain how the whole classic thing REALLY works under OS X? I.E., if I use NetBarrier and Norton Antivirus and TechTools Pro extensions, etc. in OS9, do I need them under Classic mode in OSX? Will they even work? Does OSX's firewall, for example, make NetBarrier unnecessary or do I still need it to protect Classic side? Also, if I use Norton Antivirus X do I still need the OS9 version installed? I am trying to learn how Classic truly interacts with OS X.

This is a tough question. But, the basic answer is this: as long as your app has been carbonized or is Cocoa, then you don't need those extensions. The only reason to keep them is if you plan on starting up in OS 9 mode at times. If you are really entirely ready to make the move to X, then you are best off deleting all those third party extensions. That *is* true of NAV, which can scan both your classic and X programs in its OS X native version...and I haven't used NetBarrier, so I can't comment on that one specifically.

Stryker
Sep 4, 2001, 04:33 AM
So, what Classic extensions do you all run (compared to when you actually boot up in OS 9.2.1)? I am trying to figure out what extensions I DO need (like my scanner drivers and my digital camera drivers) and what I do NOT need (like NetBarrier firewall stuff--because of OS X's firewall???)

john123
Sep 4, 2001, 08:38 AM
So, what Classic extensions do you all run (compared to when you actually boot up in OS 9.2.1)? I am trying to figure out what extensions I DO need (like my scanner drivers and my digital camera drivers) and what I do NOT need (like NetBarrier firewall stuff--because of OS X's firewall???)

Simple rule of thumb: keep your 9.2.1 extensions PLUS those that go with any program you need to use in Classic.

MasterX (OSiX)
Sep 5, 2001, 01:17 PM

Actually the beauty of MacOSX is that almost all the required drivers are in place already, so If you're using OSX you don't need Digital Comera plugins/extentions, unles you're using photoshop for importing say. As for the net barrier and such apps, Apple has an interesting concept, OSX and Classic can use the same IP or different ones. I think that if it's the same (default) than there's no need for 2 firewalls.

ThlayliTheFierce
Sep 5, 2001, 06:28 PM
You guys mentioned OSX's firewall, and that brings up something I'm wondering about...Just how secure is OS X? I plan to use X almost exclusively once 10.1 comes out, and I'll be up on a cable modem soon (just dialup right now). Is the built-in firewall enough? Or should I invest in a third party app?

Stryker
Sep 5, 2001, 07:33 PM
So, are you sure that I don't need Canon's PowerShot S100 Extensions to download my camera's pix into my OS X Mac?

Stryker
Sep 6, 2001, 04:33 AM
Anyone download 5G55 build of OS X 10.1 yet? Has anyone put it up on a server? I hear a lot about earlier builds. Just curious.

MasterX (OSiX)
Sep 6, 2001, 07:15 PM
To my knowledge every single USB/Firewire(?) still picture camera or firewire video camera that ever supported MacOS9, and probably some that didn't, all now work with Apple's built in apps, iMovie, and Image Capture. It's nice to brag to someone with a camera to plug it into your computer and watch it work like it had specific drivers.

Stryker
Sep 7, 2001, 12:37 AM
I'll give it a try and let you know ...

Stryker
Sep 7, 2001, 02:27 AM
FYI to MasterX ... unfortunately, your statement regarding Image Capture is NOT true. :(

It only works with SOME digital cameras (not my Canon PowerShot S100-- damn, I guess I still need its Classic plug-ins).

Here's the Apple Knowledge Base article in case any of you are interested ...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
TITLE

Mac OS X Image Capture: Device Compatibility
4/20/01
TOPIC

Image Capture is Apple's image acquisition framework and application for Mac OS X. This article discusses what kinds of devices Image Capture will work with and how to determine if your camera or card reader is compatible.
DISCUSSION

Digital cameras use a variety of protocols for transferring data to your computer. Some are industry standard (such as PTP). Others are proprietary to a particular camera or company. Listed below are the five categories of devices that work with Image Capture (PTP, Digita, Mass Storage, Custom, and Card Readers) and the devices that Apple has successfully tested.

Note: The cameras listed in this article are cameras Apple has successfully tested with Image Capture. Your camera may still be compatible even though it is not listed. Check with the vendor of the camera to find out which transfer protocol it uses, or obtain a card reader compatible with Image Capture.

PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol)

* Kodak DC 4800
* Kodak mc3
* Sony DSC-S75
Note: Image Capture may have difficulty recognizing the Kodak DC 4800 camera if the Classic environment is open.

Digita

* Kodak DC 220, 260, 265, 290
* HP PhotoSmart 618, 912 (works with dual mode: Digita and Mass Storage)
Note: Image Capture may have difficulty recognizing Digita cameras if the Classic environment is open.

Mass Storage

* HP PhotoSmart 618, 912 (works with dual mode: Digita and Mass Storage)
* Panasonic SuperDisk
* Toshiba PDR-M4, M5, M70
* Fuji FinePix 1400, 2400, 40i
* HP PhotoSmart 315

Custom

Some camera makers may have made a custom plug-in for Image Capture. Contact the camera vendor to see if Image Capture plug-in module is available.

Card Readers

* SanDisk (USB)
* Sony Memory Stick Reader (USB)
-