Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Hi there,

A client gave me an .avi file which can't be read in QT 7.1.5 (pro). Just a white screen with sound.

I can open the 100% ok using VLC.

The issue is that i need to take this avi and create an mpeg2 from it. i was planning on using bitvice to do that, but it requires a QT file.

how can this be done? I tried the export feature out of VLC, but as it states, this is not it's forte :)

any help?
Cheers,
keebler

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
Hi there,

A client gave me an .avi file which can't be read in QT 7.1.5 (pro). Just a white screen with sound.

I can open the 100% ok using VLC.

The issue is that i need to take this avi and create an mpeg2 from it. i was planning on using bitvice to do that, but it requires a QT file.

how can this be done? I tried the export feature out of VLC, but as it states, this is not it's forte :)

any help?
Cheers,
keebler

ffmpegX should do the trick.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Do you have Perian installed? Likely the file you have is DivX or XviD encoded, so you need a component for QuickTime that can decode it.

tilman

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
The first thing to do is find out what is missing. I don't have VLC in front of me right now, but it should have some menu item that will show you what video codec is used for your file. If it's DivX for example, you can download a QuickTime plug-in to make it work in Quicktime. Of you can try one of the many other converter applications, like ffmpegX (already mentioned in this thread), to convert it. ffmpegX comes bundled with an entire collection of codecs. If VLC can play it, ffmpegX most likely can convert it.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
The first thing to do is find out what is missing. I don't have VLC in front of me right now, but it should have some menu item that will show you what video codec is used for your file. If it's DivX for example, you can download a QuickTime plug-in to make it work in Quicktime. Of you can try one of the many other converter applications, like ffmpegX (already mentioned in this thread), to convert it. ffmpegX comes bundled with an entire collection of codecs. If VLC can play it, ffmpegX most likely can convert it.

thanks guys. i did check and the codec used was:

Microsoft ISO MPEG-4 V1.1

I can't see to find a mac dload for this codec? what is frustrating is that this client used a mac to encode the file....or, at least he said he's created the dvd in idvd (maybe the file types weren't the same).

i need to export a .mov file so i can encode an mpeg2.

any ideas? ffmpegx didn't work for me. i got a file format that isn't recognized by anything (so maybe i should say i didn't use it right instead of it not doing the job? :)

any help would be great.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
thanks guys. i figured it out. ffmpegx worked just fine. i had to...just...um....look at what i was doing ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.