Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acj

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2003
Does anybody else think an insteresting and usefull addition to Apples' line would be a more rugged notebook? Apple's notebooks are superb in every way except they just feel fragile to me.

As a professional photographer, I would like something I could feel confident banging around, as I do with my camera equipment. I'd be willing to lug around an extra pound if it meant a sturdy notebook. And a pound of material can add a lot of strength.

Apples lack of notebook options is both a strength and a weakness. You can't buy a bad Apple notebook becaue there are so few, but the ones available aren't for everybody.

With PC's you can really find just about enything, but competition has flooded the market with countless ridiculously stupid options.

acj

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 3, 2003
No I mean rugged!

True the Ibook makes a pretty good image tank but I want something MORE rugged and something, well, modern. converting 11MP RAW images takes an eternity on an iBook. Then again it's pretty slow on a powerbook as well.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
*cough* ... *cough*

Oh that was nothing. Just a bit under the weather, thats all. ;)

I don't think there is a laptop, Apple or WinBook, that is as rugged as the iBook. Yes you're right, the iBook isn't fast enough, but you don't have a lot of choices whether you're talking about a Centrino based PC notebook or Apple iBook/Powerbook. Just wait and see what happens with the iBook, I guess.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
i dont know waht to really say to you. i mean laptopls were never made to be banged around, although i did it with my pismo and that beast still went on, i miss that laptop. i would just recommend a Timbuk2 sleve for your laptop and bang it around all you want without adding much weight, thats what i do with my 12" powerbook.

iJon

reflex

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2002
There *are* laptops out there that are a lot more rugged than the iBook. But of course they're ugly as hell :)

NavyIntel007

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
Tampa, FL
Originally posted by Abstract
*cough* ... *cough*

Oh that was nothing. Just a bit under the weather, thats all. ;)

I don't think there is a laptop, Apple or WinBook, that is as rugged as the iBook. Yes you're right, the iBook isn't fast enough, but you don't have a lot of choices whether you're talking about a Centrino based PC notebook or Apple iBook/Powerbook. Just wait and see what happens with the iBook, I guess.

Panasonic Toughbooks. The hardware is dated but they look like they could survive a nuclear attack.

evildead

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2001
WestCost, USA
iBook

the iBook is being considered by some parts the military because its more rugged than a Dell and a LOT chepper than a toughBook.

I spoke to a Enterprise Apple rep and he said that a large school district account that he worked with had only one iBook returned due to damage. And these are little kids he was talking about. The one that did get returned was death by shot gun blast. Apparently, the little kids father was upset about his kids computer use. Apple replace the LCD screen and sent the unit back into active duty.

I was also told that the damaged LCD is on display back at the Apple fort.

I think you can get thoughBook like cases for your iBook. I know they exist for other more generic Laptops. You should look into it. you can havce your Mac and your thoughBook too... with out the pain and agony of Windows. (or the $10k price tag)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.