PDA

View Full Version : P2P Spyware

MacKenzie999
Mar 17, 2002, 10:39 AM
Hey folks...

I'm told that many of the various P2P apps feature built-in spyware. Can anyone recommend a good, X-compatible P2P app that does not feature spyware?

I'm currently using limewire, and I like it, but I'm wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a faq or other resource that explains spyware, how to disable, etc.

Thanks!
-Mike

arn
Mar 17, 2002, 04:20 PM
Kazaa is the primary one people talk about on the PC that has spyware... as far as I know... none of the OS X clients have spyware in it.

see

http://www.chaosmint.com/p2p

for P2P clients for OS X

arn

King Cobra
Mar 17, 2002, 08:46 PM
I can see that Almighty Arn has done some research for this!

I have done a little as well.

In all the Net searching I have done in looking for spyware removers for the Mac I have found none.

So I have put together this conclusion with the help of Arn . . .

All of the spying is done on PCs! Get a MAC and be safe!

Bill Gates: All you need to upload pictures from your camera is a fast PC and some boring software.

Yours Truly: Well I have a Mac, and the software I use operates in OS X. That DOES make me better than you!

How often have I posted this catch phrase?

Beej
Mar 17, 2002, 09:08 PM
I think I recall someone claiming that Pitbull Pro contained spyware (at Version Tracker, I think), but the person who suggested it was flamed bad pretty quickly, so I'm guessing it wasn't true...

MacAztec
Mar 17, 2002, 10:15 PM
What is P2P spyware? I have no memory about what this is.

Beej
Mar 18, 2002, 12:03 AM
P2P is short for 'peer to peer'. Like Hotline etc... one computer directly connects to another computer.

Spyware is something that is built into a P2P app (or the like) that is capable of tracking who you are and what you do with the app.

LethalWolfe
Mar 18, 2002, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Mac_User
What is P2P spyware? I have no memory about what this is.

It's spyware present in some P2P proggies that tracks download and/or surfing habits.

Lethal