PDA

View Full Version : New Laptop

Minus Blindfold
Jun 23, 2003, 03:35 AM
Hello all. I finally decided to switch over to the Mac for my new laptop for school. Honestly I think I ended up getting a good deal money wise:

PowerBook 867MHz (12.1" TFT)
867MHz PowerPC G4
640MB DDR266 (128MB built-in & 512MB SO-DIMM)
40GB Ultra ATA drive
Combo Drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
AirPort Card
Unit Price: $1,736.00

The laptop will be mostly be used for web design/graphic design, and I really think it should serve it's purpose well. I'll try to keep posting in this thread with the latest developments and progress I make. Thanks in advance.

P.S. Would anyone know a website with a lot of detailed pics and information on Mac OS X so I could start to prepare?

dabirdwell
Jun 23, 2003, 07:47 AM
click the OSX tab on the Apple site

jxyama
Jun 23, 2003, 08:29 AM
welcome... you got exactly the same specs as mine. i am sure you will enjoy your machine immensely.

i hope you meant airport extreme card and not airport card... regular airport card won't fit in your new 12". i had mistakenly bought the regular airport card, thinking it would fit in the 12"... fortunately, i had a friend with a Ti that needed the card.

check out: the missing manual: os x. i've only read the 10.1 version but even that one was quite good for jaguar introduction.

cubist
Jun 23, 2003, 08:32 AM
That's a nice computer. It's a compact, portable complete office, really. The aluminum cases are so rugged. There are some who say the 12" powerbook is the finest computer ever made.

I suggest you look for the book "Mac OS X The Missing Manual", carry it around as a reference until you feel confident.

Congratulations and enjoy your new system!

Minus Blindfold
Jun 24, 2003, 08:07 AM
Thanks guys! I ordered it already and just waiting for it to come.

Skandranon
Jun 24, 2003, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Minus Blindfold
P.S. Would anyone know a website with a lot of detailed pics and information on Mac OS X so I could start to prepare?

I would hit up the QuickTime clips on the Apple website as well... they show the OS in action and offer a much clearer representation of the Mac UI.

Welcome to the Mac.

Ryan1524
Jun 24, 2003, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by cubist
That's a nice computer. It's a compact, portable complete office, really. The aluminum cases are so rugged. There are some who say the 12" powerbook is the finest computer ever made.

I suggest you look for the book "Mac OS X The Missing Manual", carry it around as a reference until you feel confident.

Congratulations and enjoy your new system!

LOL...that book is thick. althou i agree that it's a great reference, i don't think you would want to carry it around. it's heavier than the albook itself. LMAO :D

gopher
Jun 24, 2003, 10:18 AM
Highly recommended are these two books which you can buy at any bookstore, just giving you the B & N links below since they include the ISBN number:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?isbn=0321169662&itm=2

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?isbn=0596004508&itm=2

They will explain in plain English everything you wanted to know about X but were afraid to ask.

Minus Blindfold
Jun 26, 2003, 07:53 PM
Thanks guys!! Still waiting for it to come. I got my software (Office X, Studio MX, and .Mac), extra battery, and bag came yesterday and today so hopefully it should be here tomorrow, or Monday. Also side question: does .Mac include an internet service?

nagromme
Jun 27, 2003, 02:43 AM
No. .Mac is not an ISP. Just email and iDisk (looks great in Panther!) and other 'net services. You must supply the Internet connection.

gopher
Jun 27, 2003, 07:14 AM
Thanks guys!! Still waiting for it to come. I got my software (Office X, Studio MX, and .Mac), extra battery, and bag came yesterday and today so hopefully it should be here tomorrow, or Monday. Also side question: does .Mac include an internet service?

And for more info on .Mac go to http://www.mac.com/

Minus Blindfold
Jun 28, 2003, 12:09 AM
Yayyyy!!! It's here!!!! I'm typing this out on it right now!!! It looks and feels so elegant, much better than I thought. I haven't had any real troubles yet and starting to get use to "installing" downloads. I just really need to get a mouse though.

shadowfax
Jun 28, 2003, 12:50 AM
good luck with that, man, i hope you enjoy it. hope you're running safari ;)

if you have any questions, just post in the mac help/tips section on the forums. someone will always know how to help.

by the way, i like your screen name.

maradong
Jun 28, 2003, 01:32 AM
Yayyyy!!! It's here!!!! I'm typing this out on it right now!!! It looks and feels so elegant, much better than I thought. I haven't had any real troubles yet and starting to get use to "installing" downloads. I just really need to get a mouse though.

congrats . nice machine you ve got . ;-)

scem0
Jun 28, 2003, 03:34 AM
That was a pretty good deal.

Me thinks you will be happy with it.

Mac OS X is very easy to adapt to. It isn't confusing and illogical like Windows. It isn't unstable like OS 9.

Congrats.

scem0

Minus Blindfold
Jul 12, 2003, 10:01 PM
Hey guys, enjoying my laptop a lot so far, but I have a question for you guys. What mouse would you recommend? Right now I looking at the Logitech's MX500 but wanted to get your input.

Skandranon
Jul 13, 2003, 01:07 AM
Hey guys, enjoying my laptop a lot so far, but I have a question for you guys. What mouse would you recommend? Right now I looking at the Logitech's MX500 but wanted to get your input.

My Kensington PocketMouse Pro is the shiznizz. It feels just the slightest bit chintzy, but overall a great deal.

Plus, the retractable cord is sweet.

patrick0brien
Jul 13, 2003, 01:33 PM

-Minus Blindfold

I have both the MX700 (MX500 but wireless) and the Kensington Pocketmouse Pro that Skandranon uses. I love both. The Pocketmouse is great for travel and compliments the 12PB nicely, and since it's corded, I have to mouse-battery issues.

As for the MX700, that's the undustrial one and it requires a configuration environment from Logitech's site to make use of all of the 7 buttons.

They're both terrific - too bad that Logitech doesn't make an MX500 with retractable cord :D