Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Jobs received stock packages worth $646.6 million last year, twice as much as the second-highest paid CEO on the list, Occidental Petroleum's Ray Irani. (Somewhere, there's a joke about an oil executive named Irani, but anyway.)

Ray "Irony" Irani. LOL.

With the current unease over exec salaries growing, it's unfortunate to see Steve rake it in with the worst of them...

JNB

macrumors 604
Jobs received stock packages worth $646.6 million last year

Which means stock and stock options (much of which is restricted) - none of which is worth a dime if not sold or exercised.

I wish the media would stop treating this like some sort of shocking news, and learn a little about compensation (or at least quit turning it into something it's not). They're acting like Captain Renault at Rick's Cafe'...

Not to say he's living like a pauper, but what do they expect him to do? If I had his talent and vision and drive and value to his shareholders and customers, I'd expect the same.

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
For all people talk about Microsoft greed, this *looks like a case of personal greed. Nobody needs that much money.

* I am talking about how it appears, and have no intention of engaging with fanatics about how wonderful Mr Jobs is, or what he does for the company.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
True, but the fact remains that he recieved 646.6 million in stock options. That's bigtime no matter how you slice it.

Not this year, I don't think. This figure apparently represents previously granted options which have now vested and so would also include the substantial appreciation of market value of these options. These stories always seem to imply that Apple has paid Steve Jobs $646 million, which isn't nearly true.

Previous thread on topic:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/301989/

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Atleast its when Apple is doing good, if a company makes money, then a CEO should get paid more(not this much IMO), but if the company is doing bad, the CEO should make less, or none at all.

atleast thats how I would make it work

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.