Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How do you think the PS3 is doing/will be doing?

• The PS3 will crash and burn like the Dreamcast soon.

Votes: 7 30.4%
  • Nothing will happen.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • Things will actually MASSIVELY improve.

Votes: 12 52.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I'll just say this.....movies were the primary software seller for the PS2, PS3, and PSP.
If you think the games are not coming for PS3 you are naive. Sells are doing fine.
They could be better, but they coudl also be alot worse. Expect these(even though none are posted here, lol) numbers to go up, once the AAA titles really start to roll out.

.....continue with more opinion...... ;)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
OMG opinion on the internet! Shut the site down, Arn!

PS3 is flailing around somewhat. I suppose this is what happens when you have content for your customers, moronic claims and simply price out the regular joe. But we always knew this was going to happen for the above reasons, waaay before launch.

Interestingly, both the Wii and DS have double the number of sales as their competition (cept the 360. which I still need for Halo 3 and Forza 2)

epochblue

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2005
Nashville, TN
Things will improve for the PS3 once they start getting out the software titles that people really want. The other possibility is that people buy it for Blu-Ray....although, I think BR sales are pretty lackluster still too.

Either way, they'll go up eventually.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
i have a feeling in a year or two when ps3 are as available as the other 2 consoles and their "real" games come out numbers will easily go over their competion both of them put together, give a year....

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
i guess it depends on where you take the sales numbers
in the US and some parts of europe they are quite content with them i guess
in japan on the other side they a probably grinding their axes:
in april they sold around 12k PS3 per week .. which means roughly the same as the PS2 during april
sounds good until you realize that april/07 has been the month with the _worst sales ever_ for the PS2 since it's launch 6 years ago

software sales per plattform last week (the week before golden week):

ps3 11k
xbox360 17k
psp 61k
ps2 154k
Wii 285k
DS 940k

xbox360 selling more games with half the installed console userbase than the ps3 ?
5 months ago i would have laughed but this isn't funny anymore...

michaelltd

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2005
Since PS3 is in third currently, I expect them to be pushing the hardest.

Keep an eye on Sony this E3... ;)

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
442 360 titles
268 PS3 titles

That is from GameSpot, and many of those are in development(especially for PS3).
XBOX gaming software should be outselling - there's more of it. :p
Also, as stated; with any new PlayStation, movies are the top seller until the games arrive.

ChrisK018

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2005
Washington, DC
I boldly predict that more PS3's will sell.

They need games. Not so sure that the Blu-Ray player will be as advantageous as the PS2's DVD player was. The reason I say this is that with downloadable movies becoming more feasible, movies on discs won't be as desirable.

This will not happen overnight. In music, compact disc sales have not been doing so hot after their golden years of raking in cash while people were upgrading their vinyl collections. Same could be said for the VHS to DVD converts. Downloading music has become a very important part of music.

With the Blu-Ray/HD DVD still sorting themselves out and downloadable movies arriving, I don't think this format, as far as films go, will be a smash.

So, I repeat: they need some more cool games!!!

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
An optical disc solutoin will be around for at least 20 years to come

Unless, all these major media/software distributors want to completely abandon tech starved countries.
Not everyone has the same technology at their fingertips.

We will see a winner, or we'll see these two kill each other and wathc anoterh format emerge
*cough HVD cough*

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
442 360 titles
268 PS3 titles

That is from GameSpot, and many of those are in development(especially for PS3).
XBOX gaming software should be outselling - there's more of it. :p
Also, as stated; with any new PlayStation, movies are the top seller until the games arrive.

which games ? care to mention one which get's released in japan in the next 3 months ?

and on movies
http://www.toptechnews.com/story.xhtml?story_id=0030009XBENL
1,2 million blu-ray discs since the launch of the medium last year ...
this first quarter of this year ~850k blu ray discs have been sold

that makes 284k per month ... world wide
let's say there are roughly 4,25 weeks per month
that makes 67k blu ray discs per week .. again world wide

so let's say japan buys half of them and the rest of the world the other half (which very likely is off: i suspect the rest of the world buying more)

that would amount for 34k blu ray discs per week
combine with the ps3 software sales that would make 45k
congratulations: you just made it on place 5 in the japanese game charts just behind wii sports who made 51k alone (22th week) with combining all games and movies sales for your whole plattform

ChrisK018

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2005
Washington, DC
^I agree that discs are not going to die quickly; I like how some developing countries have managed to skip past land-lines and gone straight to cell phones. I hope some very smart person firgures out a way to do that with computer technology.

Numbers of video game titles in development or ready for purchase mean very little to me. Of the hundreds of games, I will only end up liking a hand full of them. The Halo franchise saved Microsoft's rear end and allowed them to develop a few other exclusive titles.

I'd like to see a super-awesome PS3 game that Sony can hitch a star to. So far they have no games I want to by their fancy platform to play.

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I'm not trying to count BD sales into gaming software sales.

Merely pointing out a trend that happens for almost every PlayStation product.
So for those that think current sales will continue to be the norm, you are badly mistaken.

As for the number of software titles, well, thats going to help sales.
50 games vs 150 games(estimate) I wonder which platform is gonna have better software sales figures.

Sparky8

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2007
PS3's better games are coming in July+ time. Judge it in Jan 08 at the earliest

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
Merely pointing out a trend that happens for almost every PlayStation product.
So for those that think current sales will continue to be the norm, you are badly mistaken.

you know how long it took in japan for the ps2 to reach the same amount of installed user base that the PS3 has now achieved after 25 weeks (that's nearly half a year remember that) ?

yep less than _2_ weeks

the ps2 had roughly 2 millions more than what the ps3 has now after 25 weeks
the gamecube had 300k more

the ps3 needs games... and fast at that .. it's not like the last two times when the competition launches like a year later and the ps/ps2 can sell without any games
sure there a lot of ps3 games incoming .. but so are 360 and wii games
sony has catching up to do not falling behind more every week
when the n64 launched in japan the ps3 was ahead 2.6 millions
when the gc launched the ps3 was ahead 5,7 millions

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
Date X360 PS3

-01/07 - 18,235 # 69,944
-01/14 - 9,035 # 25,531
-01/21 - 7,041 # 21,105
-01/28 - 7,365 # 19,996
-02/04 - 6,130 # 18,727
-02/11 - 4,811 # 23,431
-02/18 - 5,210 # 20,676
-02/25 - 4,183 # 19,315
-03/04 - 3,379 # 44,000
-03/11 - 3,333 # 32,115
-03/18 - 2,910 # 21,635
-03/25 - 3,492 # 20,459
-04/01 - 3,889 # 16,889
-04/08 - 2,963 # 14,520
-04/15 - 2,900 # 11,948
-04/22 - 2,307 # 11,000
-04/29 - 3,299 # 12,366

Total 90,482 403,657

I guess we should be just as worried about failing 360 sales?
There are a plenty of titles on the way.....don't worry about that.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
PS3's better games are coming in July+ time. Judge it in Jan 08 at the earliest

well the same is true for the others.. you know there are others who went through "games will come later this year" stuff.. as a rule of thumb you can easily add 3 months additionally and for others more like 6 months or with zelda at least a year

and of course i'll wait till january 08 but then i don't want to hear "wait until august until game xyz is released" .. you know i went through that with gamecube myself...

if you don't overtake the one launched earlier within the first year of both being on the market you are never going to make it
the system simply prefers the one being ahead since all developers want to develop games for the system with most hardware because most software can be sold there

edit: comparing with the xbox in japan is kinda a bad idea if you want to show how successful your console is ;)

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
yes, and total numbers are meaning less.

Just look at the install base in Japan. If you think Japanese devs are gonna focus more on 360, than PS3 you are high(no offense to anyone here - its just a figure of speech).
Region's and their respective developers will(potentially) have bigger impacts on the global markets, because of the local install base.

As I have always said the console war(this gen at least) is really only going to be relevant in America. /opinion
But there is still some time before that picture becomes clearer.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
yes, and total numbers are meaning less.

Just look at the install base in Japan. If you think Japanese devs are gonna focus more on 360, than PS3 you are high(no offense to anyone here - its just a figure of speech).

well i agree with that ... but would you say the same between wii and ps3 ?
installed base for 360 is roughly 400k
ps3 900k
wii 2,3 million

and in america and europe ps3 is third behind wii which is 2nd behind 360

sure no problems for game releases over the next year because all those got started more than a year ago where everybody thought ps3 was the safe way but you can bet on it that publishers/developers aren't exactly eager at the moment to have more ps3 exclusives after that

Coded-Dude

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I think the differences in the console are such that they don't have to compete.
Both consoles could, in theory, go on to sell 100 million + each! (co-existence)
Most of Ninty's big sellers are their own IP. But they are trying to change that.

This is where we get deep into what if, and anything goes, so I tread these waters carefully.

But in my eyes, Sony and Microsoft are competing directly against one another
(let's face it, their consoles are very similar)
While Nintendo is competeing in the gaming market, they have alwasy been profitable and have always had somewhat of a niche place. Granted the Wii could(and is) changing a lot of that, but I don't think Ninty winning in profits and market share(instead of jsut profits) would have too much of an affect on what developers do between say PS3 and Wii or even 360 and Wii. A decision like that is probably made before market share is even considered.

I think we may see more focus on content innovation from devs(on Wii) as opposed to the inherent dumping of re-hashed junk onto every platform(cough EA cough), but again, this is all speculation and opnion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.