PDA

View Full Version : WTB: iPod 30 Gig Hard Drive AND 3rd Gen 15gig Replacement Battery

mike dunx
May 7, 2007, 04:05 PM
I reeeallllyyyy need a replacement drive for my 30 gig video iPod. Anyone? Please?

EDIT: I also need a battery replacement for a 15 gig 3rd Gen iPod. High quality battery too, please. Atleast an 8 hour charge.

TheBurninator
May 7, 2007, 04:42 PM
how about a working 60gb hard drive?

Patmian212
May 7, 2007, 05:11 PM
How much are you willing to spend?

mike dunx
May 7, 2007, 05:24 PM
how about a working 60gb hard drive?

wouldn't fit in my 30gb case, unless you wanna send the 60 gb backing as well.

applefan1997
May 7, 2007, 08:09 PM
this is kind of wild, but how about a 10GB?

4JNA
May 7, 2007, 09:31 PM
if you get desperate and don't find anything here, you could take a look at iPodResQ (http://stores.ebay.com/iPodResQ-International_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZQ2d999QQftidZ2QQtZkm) on ebay. prices always seem on the high side i think, but i've had good luck finding the parts i needed, and have always received working parts. no connection to this seller, just a customer. best of luck.

mike dunx
May 7, 2007, 11:12 PM
this is kind of wild, but how about a 10GB?

are you positive that it would work with this ipod?

TheBurninator
May 7, 2007, 11:20 PM
No, the 10gb IDE hard drive from earlier models don't work with the sata-like connectors of the newer ones.

Corey

chipchen
May 8, 2007, 01:12 AM
The 30GB iPod Video will only take a 30GB drive from an iPod Video.

mike dunx
May 8, 2007, 01:05 PM

thanks for that bit of info. BUMP

mick4394
May 8, 2007, 01:44 PM

Wrong.

ReanimationLP
May 8, 2007, 01:46 PM
Wrong.

Not wrong. The connectors are completely different. Try working inside of an older iPod and then the new ones before you say wrong. :rolleyes:

mick4394
May 8, 2007, 03:11 PM
Not wrong. The connectors are completely different. Try working inside of an older iPod and then the new ones before you say wrong. :rolleyes:

Repairing iPods is part of my daily life. I'm well aware of what hard drives work in what iPods.

He said that you can only use a hard drive from an iPod Video, in an iPod Video. That statement is not true. There are countless ways of getting these hard drives, that don't include pulling one from an iPod.

I'm not arguing connectors. I know what iPods have what interfaces. I've been inside all of them.

Now, if I misunderstood what the poster meant, I can admit that fault. But, as I understood the statement, I'm not wrong.

mike dunx
May 8, 2007, 11:10 PM
i don't care where the drive comes from i just need one that works in my ipod. and i assume that one pulled from another video ipod would be the cheapest way to go.

but either way, you can have my money if it fits, works and isn't overpriced

ALSO NEEDED: a battery that will work in a 3rd Gen 15 Gig iPod.

chipchen
May 8, 2007, 11:30 PM
Repairing iPods is part of my daily life. I'm well aware of what hard drives work in what iPods.

He said that you can only use a hard drive from an iPod Video, in an iPod Video. That statement is not true. There are countless ways of getting these hard drives, that don't include pulling one from an iPod.

I'm not arguing connectors. I know what iPods have what interfaces. I've been inside all of them.

Now, if I misunderstood what the poster meant, I can admit that fault. But, as I understood the statement, I'm not wrong.

I too repair iPods. It's where at least 10% of my income comes from. What I meant was that the iPod video can only take hard drives from the same family of iPods.... basically saying, it can't use hard drives from different generation iPods (i.e. the 10GB that was offered, or the 60GB iPod video drive... or in case someone offers a 30GB click wheel drive, etc.). It can only work with single platter iPod video drives.

I never said that you couldn't get a drive from another source outside of an iPod. Obviously, the drives aren't manufactured JUST for iPods. There are other 1.8" drive devices and manufacturers out there. (for instance, I imagine a ZUNE drive would work just fine)

Mike, by the way, it'd be nice to know how much you're willing to spend. I've got a 30GB iPod video that might be worth parting out at the right price.... got the battery you need too.

mike dunx
May 9, 2007, 12:12 AM
my price range for the drive is around 40-50 dollars. For the battery i'm looking at 10-20 dollars. maybe more based on what charge it holds.

CanadaRAM
May 9, 2007, 12:22 AM
ALSO NEEDED: a battery that will work in a 3rd Gen 15 Gig iPod.

The Sonnet battery is $19.95 new, plus shipping, comes with tools and instructions... If you are in the USA you should be able to get mailorder from Sonnet or at most Apple dealers.

aquajet
May 9, 2007, 01:09 AM
If you're willing to spend $20 on a battery, then you might as well buy a new one. CanadaRAM mentioned the Sonnet; I've got the Newer Tech in my 3G iPod, also sold for $19.99 at macsales.com.

mick4394
May 9, 2007, 08:39 AM
my price range for the drive is around 40-50 dollars. For the battery i'm looking at 10-20 dollars. maybe more based on what charge it holds.

40-50 is a bit low.

mick4394
May 9, 2007, 08:42 AM
I too repair iPods. It's where at least 10% of my income comes from. What I meant was that the iPod video can only take hard drives from the same family of iPods.... basically saying, it can't use hard drives from different generation iPods (i.e. the 10GB that was offered, or the 60GB iPod video drive... or in case someone offers a 30GB click wheel drive, etc.). It can only work with single platter iPod video drives.

I never said that you couldn't get a drive from another source outside of an iPod. Obviously, the drives aren't manufactured JUST for iPods. There are other 1.8" drive devices and manufacturers out there. (for instance, I imagine a ZUNE drive would work just fine)

Mike, by the way, it'd be nice to know how much you're willing to spend. I've got a 30GB iPod video that might be worth parting out at the right price.... got the battery you need too.

You wouldn't be the first person I've heard, around here, say that you have to use Apple branded hard drives in iPods.

So, it was just a simple misunderstanding. Sorry.

mike dunx
May 9, 2007, 09:13 PM
If you're willing to spend $20 on a battery, then you might as well buy a new one. CanadaRAM mentioned the Sonnet; I've got the Newer Tech in my 3G iPod, also sold for $19.99 at macsales.com.

how is that battery working out for you? i'd probably have it on 5 sec backlight, just so i can enjoy the sexiness of the back lit touch buttons. how many hours do you think i could get on said battery?

aquajet
May 10, 2007, 12:19 PM
how is that battery working out for you? i'd probably have it on 5 sec backlight, just so i can enjoy the sexiness of the back lit touch buttons. how many hours do you think i could get on said battery?

It's worked out well. IIRC, I replaced it late 2005. These days I get about 6.5-7 hours a charge. Not quite as much as when I first replaced it.

mike dunx
May 10, 2007, 12:48 PM
It's worked out well. IIRC, I replaced it late 2005. These days I get about 6.5-7 hours a charge. Not quite as much as when I first replaced it.

sounds pretty good. i'll probably get the sonnet battery then. Still looking for an HD though!