Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluetooth

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2007
Toronto
Hi, any reccomends on a decent digital camera for a beginner in digital photography? I do freelance graphic design and would like to learn to do most of my own photography.

Looking for a beginners camera, but something that is high res enough for midsize print format (brochures/posters/banner etc.)

thanks!

kondspi

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2006
NC
I'd recommend the Panasonic DMC-LS70. It does everything but sound in the videos. The picture quality is impeccable, and you can usually get it for less than $150. Just check dealmac.com occasionally.

Jebaloo

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2006
I learned photogtaphy on a Nikon Coolpix 8700 (the one that looks like an SLR)...it had great auto modes, was cheaper than SLR (at the time, it alo had more megapix). It also shot video, and had great automatic scene modes, and time delay shots for doing time interval shooting.

It also allowed me to flexible alter the ISO Aperture and speed through the menu system. Eventually when I felt that I was good enough at all this, I bought an SLR, and now never switch out of Manual mode... I find it easier that way.

I don't know if this is any help, but just to say that if you can't afford, or down want the bulkines of an SLR, there's absolutely nothing wrong with going for a good digital camera that isn't an SLR. They're lighter and you're more than likely to have it with you on those occassions when a great event happens... with a bulky SLR, you may have left it at home.

I now own a D200, and am practically in love with it.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hi, any reccomends on a decent digital camera for a beginner in digital photography? I do freelance graphic design and would like to learn to do most of my own photography.

Looking for a beginners camera, but something that is high res enough for midsize print format (brochures/posters/banner etc.)

thanks!

What matters is the LENS. Read up on lenses. "Megapixels" is a marketing word. Any camera on the market today has enough pixels. If the lens projects a blurry image onto a sensor putting more pixels on the sensor will not make the image sharper. It;s the lens that makes the image the sensor only records the image. Once you start thinking this way you start looking at SLRs. But before you look at SLRs look at the lenses that are available for them.

For your stated use I'd bypass the SLRs and go right into one of the entry level DSRL systems. But don't look at the body. shop fo lenese and figure out what you want now and in a few years then buy whatever body works with those lenses.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Have you made a decision yet? I would look into the D40x

I don't like the D40. It will not work with some of Nikon's best lenses. None of the low priced, high quality primes work on the D40 body. I really do like my 50mm f/1.4 and 85 f/1.8 but neither of these are AF-S type. Also what if you wanted to buy any of the realy good and cost effective used nikon lenses. Those 80-200mm f/2.8 zooms sell fr about $650 used and are reason enough to go with Nikon over the other brands, just so you can use that lens. But not with a D40. If you owned a D40 you'd have to buy the new $1800 version of the lens. The bottom line is to think ahead about the lenses and then buy the camera. So if EVERY lens you might want is AF-S then the D40x would be good

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
I would get a point and shoot with a manual option. That way, you can learn the basics of shutter speed and apertures and all that good stuff.

I know Canons get lots of good reviews, but the only point and shoot I can recommend personally is the Fujifilm E900. Nice camera, great quality, and all the features you could want (RAW support, fully manual, 9MP, fast..).

That might not be the best choice though, it's just the only one I have first-hand experience with. I was very pleased. When you start narrowing down your options, definitely check dpreview.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I don't like the D40. It will not work with some of Nikon's best lenses. None of the low priced, high quality primes work on the D40 body. I really do like my 50mm f/1.4 and 85 f/1.8 but neither of these are AF-S type. Also what if you wanted to buy any of the realy good and cost effective used nikon lenses. Those 80-200mm f/2.8 zooms sell fr about $650 used and are reason enough to go with Nikon over the other brands, just so you can use that lens. But not with a D40. If you owned a D40 you'd have to buy the new $1800 version of the lens. The bottom line is to think ahead about the lenses and then buy the camera. So if EVERY lens you might want is AF-S then the D40x would be good

This is quite misleading. In fact, the Nikon D40 WILL work with most of the Nikon lenses, including the "golden oldies," but the difference is that it will NOT autofocus with any except the AF-S lenses. Right now there is a paucity of AF-S lenses, especially in the shorter prime lengths.

You can use the D40 and successfully manually-focus any of the lenses you put on that camera. With the older AI-S lenses, though, there is also the issue of metering, as they cannot utilize the camera's metering system.

You can buy and use the 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 and use them on the D40 -- you'll just have to manually focus. You can use the older 80-200mm f/2.8 zoom on the D40, too. Again, you'll just need to manually focus. Another option: consumers can also purchase some of the Sigma HSM lenses and use those if they really need/want autofocus. Why is that? Because the Sigma HSM lenses, like the Nikon AF-S lenses, have the internal motor. Many people have purchased and use the 30mm f/1.4 Sigma lens on their D40, the 10-20mm wide-angle lens (which is less expensive than Nikon's own 12-24mm), etc......

Mantronix

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2007
Louisiana
This is quite misleading. In fact, the Nikon D40 WILL work with most of the Nikon lenses, including the "golden oldies," but the difference is that it will NOT autofocus with any except the AF-S lenses. Right now there is a paucity of AF-S lenses, especially in the shorter prime lengths.

You can use the D40 and successfully manually-focus any of the lenses you put on that camera. With the older AI-S lenses, though, there is also the issue of metering, as they cannot utilize the camera's metering system.

You can buy and use the 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 and use them on the D40 -- you'll just have to manually focus. You can use the older 80-200mm f/2.8 zoom on the D40, too. Again, you'll just need to manually focus. Another option: consumers can also purchase some of the Sigma HSM lenses and use those if they really need/want autofocus. Why is that? Because the Sigma HSM lenses, like the Nikon AF-S lenses, have the internal motor. Many people have purchased and use the 30mm f/1.4 Sigma lens on their D40, the 10-20mm wide-angle lens (which is less expensive than Nikon's own 12-24mm), etc......
Wonderful information. I will be buying a Nikon d40 as my first DSLR camera. After reading ChrisA's I was highly worried response that my lens selection would be very limited with a d40 and I even thought about going with a Canon. Thanks for clarifying it up and I'm still going with the d40.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.