PDA

View Full Version : Shoplifters Ordered To Wear Sign Reading "I Am A Thief"

rockthecasbah
May 7, 2007, 08:27 PM
Two people that were caught stealing at a Wal-Mart took a plea deal where instead of serving a 60 day jail sentence opted to enter a plea deal where they stood outside the Wal-Mart for about 4 hours wearing a sign that read "I am a thief."

Personally i think it's hilarious a good option for them. The article linked to at the bottom states that one stole a product that was $7, a petty theft, so taking the shame to stay out of jail gets the message across to them and others.

link. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18533937?GT1=9951)

PlaceofDis
May 7, 2007, 08:30 PM
a bit silly if you ask me, but i guess public humiliation works sometimes still. sadly.

dartzorichalcos
May 7, 2007, 09:27 PM
A good way to teach them a lesson so they would never do it again.

dsnort
May 7, 2007, 09:33 PM
Ahhh, the "Scarlet Letter" in real life!

How 'bout posting a sign outside Walmarts stating, "I am a thief, I ship jobs overseas!"?

mcarnes
May 7, 2007, 09:36 PM
A good way to teach them a lesson so they would never do it again.

I dunno, I'd probably feel bad for someone wearing that sign and flip them a quarter, or give them the rest of my burger.

jsw
May 7, 2007, 09:44 PM
Well, i think wearing a sign for four hours to avoid a 60-day jail sentence is a good idea. :)

Still... she faced a 60-day jail sentence for petty theft?

How would this help anyone?

Counterfit
May 7, 2007, 11:27 PM
a bit silly if you ask me, but i guess public humiliation works sometimes still. sadly.

I think it works better if you can throw tomatoes at them. Not that I would in this case, but some people really need fruit chucked at them.

mustard
May 8, 2007, 12:28 AM
I don't know how or why but I hate Wal*Mart a little less after this - not that I would start shopping there now.

Father Jack
May 8, 2007, 12:32 AM
At least they didn't have their hands cut off, as they do in some countries.

FJ

synth3tik
May 8, 2007, 12:59 AM
I am all for public humiliation. I wish there was more of it. If you do something wrong. It should be everyone else's right to point and laugh at you.:D

jamesmcd
May 8, 2007, 01:34 AM
Dunno. If they took the Jail sentence they might have met Paris!

iJon
May 8, 2007, 02:11 AM
Ahhh, the "Scarlet Letter" in real life!

How 'bout posting a sign outside Walmarts stating, "I am a thief, I ship jobs overseas!"?

Cause that Apple you use was made in the USA right.

jon

Henri Gaudier
May 8, 2007, 04:41 AM
Personally i think it's hilarious a good option for them. The article linked to at the bottom states that one stole a product that was $7, a petty theft, so taking the shame to stay out of jail gets the message across to them and others.

I see Joe Strummers politics have seeped into your very soul on this issue.

Wal-Mart is an immoral bag-o-***** anyway. Thieve it to its knees. Smash it up.

iJon
May 8, 2007, 10:17 AM
We had a kid steal a street sign once in our town. The judge made him hold it up on the street corner for the good part of a day for punishment. I bet he never did it again.

jon

BigPrince
May 8, 2007, 10:23 AM
this makes me wanna be a judge so I can give cool setences like this.

My problem would be that I would overfill our local jails with sex offenders because they would always get the max setenece from me.

2nyRiggz
May 8, 2007, 11:13 AM
It's a bit silly but they will be embarrass enough not to steal from walmart again...I know I would be

Bless

oblomow
May 9, 2007, 12:43 AM
Here (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6336617289916612545) is a link to a video where a dutch store treats its shoplifters in a similar way.
The 10000th shoplifter is celebrated with music, cake and a present. The shoplifter in question was not amused...

swingerofbirch
May 9, 2007, 01:00 AM
I would be embarrassed to be that judge. I can't think of anything more unusual or cruel.

And I would be embarrassed to be the owner of the Walmart. If I were someone who shopped at Walmart I would turn around and not shop there as soon as I saw the man. The man in the sandwich board which said he stole says so much about Walmart:

Walmart is frequented by criminals.
There is currently a criminal standing in front of me.
Walmart is complicit in allowing cruel and unusual punishment.
This place is even trashier than I thought.
Someone needs to grow up. This is childish.

Finally, my initial thought when I saw this was: oh my God, this is so sad that someone had to steal an item that was only $7 and secondly that Walmart is the height of unethical companies and steals from poor Americans and even poorer Chinese people. Even still, I wouldn't be as gauche as to make the Walmart CEO wear a sandwich board. What is happening to this nation's decorum?

Counterfit
May 9, 2007, 03:51 AM
I would be embarrassed to be that judge. I can't think of anything more unusual or cruel.

You have a very weak imagination!

I mean, it's not like this is libelous/slanderous, they were convicted of theft, and thus, they are a thief. Their reputation is being harmed because of their actions, not on someone's whims.

Don't panic
May 9, 2007, 08:25 AM
if really they convicted them to 60 days in prison for 7$ worth of theft, the judge, all the jurors and the store manager should be branded with an "I am an ***hole" sign on their forefront. Permanently.

and read hawthorne's masterpiece.

BigPrince
May 9, 2007, 09:46 AM
He got to choose either the sign or jail. I think thats way more then fair.

Peace
May 9, 2007, 11:37 AM
I am all for public humiliation. I wish there was more of it. If you do something wrong. It should be everyone else's right to point and laugh at you.:D

That concept should be considered "cruel or unusual punishment" under the Constitution..

It's a symptom of a really sad state of affairs in the USA.

Furthermore this topic should be in the political,social forums (http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47)

TBi
May 9, 2007, 11:41 AM
That concept should be considered "cruel or unusual punishment" under the Constitution..

Furthermore this topic should be in the political,social forums (http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=47)

Actually since they volunarily took this punishment they shouldn't be protected under the constitution.

If i was them i wouldn't fight it as a constitutional matter because it's either standing outside with a sign or stuck in a jail with hardened criminals if you win.

elppa
May 10, 2007, 08:20 AM
She said she was taking a $7 item to the service desk because it would not scan.

In my country you have to take it out the store for it to count as theft.

Is this not the case in the USA?

BigPrince
May 10, 2007, 08:24 AM
depends....was the item in her hand or tucked away in a purse or pocket?

was she heading the right direction of the service desk or did she not "know" where it was and headed in the parking lot direction?

I am sure it was much more fishy then text could explain.

ALSO, this saves the TAX PAYERS MONEY!!!

calculus
May 10, 2007, 08:31 AM

Yes, yes and maybe...

Counterfit
May 10, 2007, 02:39 PM

It depends. If you stick an item in your pocket/pruse/hidden area, and head towards a door, that's enough for shoplifting in most cases.

iJon
May 10, 2007, 03:19 PM
You know, this is why Wal-Mart has greeters in their store when you come. Supposed to lower the theft rates by giving you a personal "Hello" when you come into the store.

jon

PlaceofDis
May 10, 2007, 03:26 PM
You know, this is why Wal-Mart has greeters in their store when you come. Supposed to lower the theft rates by giving you a personal "Hello" when you come into the store.

jon

well the greeters also show that you're noticed by the staff, meaning its probably going to be harder to steal. same with best buy and their security guy at the door saying hi. its like saying hi, im watching you.

Don't panic
May 10, 2007, 07:25 PM
It depends. If you stick an item in your pocket/pruse/hidden area, and head towards a door, that's enough for shoplifting in most cases.

FWIW, the lady claiming innocence had the item in the cart in plain view.

Detlev_73
May 12, 2007, 11:27 AM

I couldn't disagree with you more adamantly. I work for the Courts, and I face people on a daily basis who think it's an inconvenience to attend court. Our Judge is compassionate but those who defy the law and something as simple as a speed limit deserve the wrath of the law. My generation is the last that somewhat respected the law, and most people after my generation have no respect whatsover for common decency, morals, and the general welfare of others (and animals). Everyone nowadays is so into themselves and their own mini personality cult that it's disgusting. Ask me once and I'll tell you straight up: I wish I lived in the 50's, the epitome of American society. These were the good old days when the law was respected, and people still considered marijuana a hard drug. The cultural vaccuum we are in is an abomination.

skunk
May 12, 2007, 11:45 AM
Ask me once and I'll tell you straight up: I wish I lived in the 50's, the epitome of American society. These were the good old days when the law was respected, and people still considered marijuana a hard drug. The cultural vaccuum we are in is an abomination.Right. Back then, black people knew their place, the sky was lit with burning crosses, there were Reds under every bed, McCarthy was a hero.

What the hell has considering marijuana a hard drug got to do with anything? That's just plain ignorance.

Aranince
May 12, 2007, 12:57 PM
Walmart is complicit in allowing cruel and unusual punishment.

You must not know what cruel punishment is. Sometimes cruel punishment is needed. You can't say "Its ok, just don't do it again." because they will do it again. Anyway, like the other people said...we don't cut their hands off like they do in other countries.

Detlev_73
May 12, 2007, 07:10 PM
Right. Back then, black people knew their place, the sky was lit with burning crosses, there were Reds under every bed, McCarthy was a hero.

What the hell has considering marijuana a hard drug got to do with anything? That's just plain ignorance.

Actually, since I am Latino, I can begin to understand the prejudice that African-Americans underwent and still undergo in today's world. I will be the first to admit that there was plenty of social unjustice going on in the past. Furthermore, having been a correctional officer in Florida I have seen that taking a light stance on drugs and not keeping them under control will lead to greater crime and eroding public morality. If one cannot recognize that drugs are a negative influence, which if left unchecked leads to worse society and and a larger criminal element in society, that is ignorant.

Xeem
May 13, 2007, 05:00 PM

Yes, this is the case in the USA. I am a manager in a small grocery store, and I cannot stop someone for theft until they have left the store. One could always claim that they were planning on paying for the item when they reached the counter, and we can't do anything about it (even if it is stuffed in a pocket) unless they actually walk out the door with it. This could vary by state, I suppose (I'm in Minnesota).

skunk
May 13, 2007, 05:04 PM
If one cannot recognize that drugs are a negative influence, which if left unchecked leads to worse society and and a larger criminal element in society, that is ignorant.It's criminalizing a soft drug like marijuana that causes the negative influence and the larger criminal element.

obeygiant
May 13, 2007, 06:26 PM
What other drugs fall under the soft drug classification?

biturbomunkie
May 13, 2007, 06:54 PM
4 hrs for 60 days? something doesn't add up.

island
Jun 2, 2007, 01:19 AM
People like these get what they deserve!

TequilaBoobs
Jun 2, 2007, 01:22 AM
i would wear that sign just for fun. but i wouldnt serve time in jail just for fun.