Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Anyhow, so yesterday I was reading this thread, when siurpeeman made a seemingly random prediction.

So here it is.

We should have a prediction system. If an member predict something right, s/he gets some points; and if s/he predicts something wrong, points are deducted.
But of course, since predict something right is much harder than predict something wrong, perhaps predict something right gives one 100 point, while predict something wrong deduct 5 points.

And the point can be displayed under your name, beside your title.

Like that?

mattscott306

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2007
I doubt that this would ever work- nor would there be enough interest in it for people to actually take time to try to guess at things.

What does it really tell you about someone? He/she is a good guesser?

dartzorichalcos

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2007
Atlantis
Anyhow, so yesterday I was reading this thread, when siurpeeman made a seemingly random prediction.

So here it is.

We should have a prediction system. If an member predict something right, s/he gets some points; and if s/he predicts something wrong, points are deducted.
But of course, since predict something right is much harder than predict something wrong, perhaps predict something right gives one 100 point, while predict something wrong deduct 5 points.

And the point can be displayed under your name, beside your title.

Like that?

I would like it and I agree with you.:) One question though, What are those points going to be used for?

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I know at mac-forums.com they have a reputation system. If a person makes a comment you agree with, you give them positive "rep". If someone is being rude, ignorant, or just plain being a troll, you give them negative "rep".

Seems like a good idea to me.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
So like a lot like macpredict, although the validity of this site went downhill when the added the ability to alter your predictions once made (so if something hadn't happened by your original prediction date you could just change it)

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Go with something more market based. Let people buy shares of rumors. The no brainers will give minimal returns and the long shots will pay off well. Then let people sell short. I'd like to short the flash based Mac.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
Cool ideas!

I just thought something like this might be interesting to play with, but there are surprising amount of people responding!

Thanks!

Perhaps we'll actually come up with something.

asxtb

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2005
I predict I'm gonna drink some water..... Sweet! 100 points!!! :cool:

I predict I'm gonna get some action tonight.... Awww.. -5 points. :(

Oh, you mean Apple related. :eek:

kwood

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2006
In the Great White North.
Then there would be disgruntled people who don't like certain posters who would constantly put negative points on the person. Kind of like saying all of Mad Jew's posts are spam just to stop him from getting G5 status.;)

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 20, 2006
I just thought of how the discussion forum on Apple.com has the 1 point for helpful, 2 point for soved?

Perhaps, if we were to have a rep system, it'd only be positive, so you can't kill someone, they'll just die themselves if they aren't good enough. (Oh lord, I can just see myself die like that.)

But that wasn't my initial idea. Not that my initial idea will have any success.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
If you try a "rep" system, I'd recommend no negative rep ability, especially in the political or console forums.

If you have a prediction system that awards points for every correct prediction, that might be difficult to implement fairly. "I predict new MacBooks this year" is bound to get 100 points, but if someone says "I predict new MacBooks on 9th June" and they are released on the 10th they get nothing?

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Reputations have been talked about... I only found a couple of threads though, which makes me think that maybe others have posted about it but called it something else. :p

Hm. I seem to recall that the mods once spoke up saying that reputation systems leave too much room for user abuse, which honestly, makes a lot of sense. I browse other forums that do implement reputation systems and that becomes a huge ordeal to moderate in and of itself. :eek:

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
My problem with these points-based systems is that it gives new members an immediate bias towards other members, right or wrong. Plus, it's almost impossible to maintain any sort of fairness in the ratings, which in the end don't mean much at all.

People figure out who they can "trust" for good information and whose full of, well, not so good information.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
It should be noted - even if Macrumors don't employ a reputation or "PPS" system here, there's nothing that prevents someone setting up a "Fantasy Rumour League" thread, and running it themselves.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Um, who will assess and award these points?

Do you mean some sort of poll system, where a poll is set up, perhaps "A santa-rosa laptop will be announced at MW: YES or NO" and the poll closes a week before the conference?

Winners get x points, losers get -y points. Voting is optional.

I notice on MR, once a poll vote is made, it can't be changed, which means it would be suitable for something like this.

Naturally, only admin would be able to set scoring polls. Dr Q appears to have the logic ability required to set clear unambiguous poll questions and answers.

Tho we could have odd polls every now and then when things are slow e.g. "Don't you think there isn't an impossibly high chance of no LED monitors failing to be released outwith the end of the year: YES or NO" :)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Um, who will assess and award these points?

Exactly! It'd be far too much work. The poll idea could work, but it'd mean a lot of research would be required to find out who has accurate info, assuming the polls are attached to threads submitting info in the first place. All far too much work. I give up already. In fact, this thread has made me so exhausted I'm gonna make a random prediction that new iBooks will come out tomorrow evening, replacing the MacBooks. Apple will finally realise what a great processor they had with the 603 and will be replacing these newfangled Intel thingamajigs with them. Huzzah for 603!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.