Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NickElls

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 19, 2005
I've always loved the feel of the Powerbook/Macbook Pro keyboards... so why not make a desktop version?

I made a quick picture...

keyboardthingbz8.png

I would buy one.

l3lack J4ck

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2006
i always love typing on laptop keyboards as compared to desktop ones, becuaes the laptops just feel "softer"

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
I've also always liked typing on my MacBook Pro rather than on the iMac's keyboard. I might even buy one for when I get my Mac Mini in a month or two if it came out.

mBurns

macrumors 6502
Oct 3, 2006
USA
I'd buy one of those to match my MacBook Pro. Of course, as long as the price wasn't through the roof.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
since i prefer the laptop keyboards as well i went and got this one from Macally and its great. so much better than the Apple Pro keyboard or whatever they call it now :p

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I hate laptop keyboards. I always type in something wrong (For example; in that past sentence, I had to correct 3 mistakes; I'm on my iBook G3)

But I do have to say, Apple's desktop keyboard also sucks.

Regardless, that's a very nice mockup. :)

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
you know what i noticed today, while i was in class, everybody's laptops taking notes during lectures were SOOOO loud, while mine was sooooo smooth and quiet in my macbook. same with the guy that was right beside me with a powerbook:D

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
you know what i noticed today, while i was in class, everybody's laptops taking notes during lectures were SOOOO loud, while mine was sooooo smooth and quiet in my macbook. same with the guy that was right beside me with a powerbook:D

I hate to be in a room full of computer's when some teacher is talking. I can barely hear them.:(

holamiamigos

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2006
i have this and its great.. it has that laptop keyboard feel and it matches the mac look..

K64366-10861.jpg

its called the kensingtion slim type by the way

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
i have this and its great.. it has that laptop keyboard feel and it matches the mac look..

K64366-10861.jpg

its called the kensingtion slim type by the way

I just bought a keyboard like that called the inland u-Touch keyboard. I don't like it very much, it feels cramped and it takes a lot of getting used to. The worst part about it is that the arrow keys are regular sized and not differentiated at all from the rest of the keyboard. (That keyboard looks like it doesn't have that problem though)

ErikCLDR

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2007

I hate to be in a room full of computer's when some teacher is talking. I can barely hear them.:(

IMO iBook's in general had horrible keyboards, particularly the G3. They were so springy and mushy. Many dell laptop keyboards seem to have too small of keys and they are oldly shaped. The letters also wear off. I should take a picture of my sisters 3 year old dell laptop. Tons of letters have been worn off and somehow there is a hole forming in the "A" key.

PowerBook/MacBook Pro keyboards are amazing. I love how flat, soft, and responsive they are without being mushy or springy. The macbook keyboards are alright, I'm not used to them though.

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
I've always loved the feel of the Powerbook/Macbook Pro keyboards... so why not make a desktop version?

Ooooo someone make me one of those, please! I'm using my iMac right now and I *hate* the keyboard in comparison to my PowerBook's keyboard. Keep bashing the wrong keys! I wouldn't mind having the trackpad as well instead of a mouse.

Luis

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
Costa Rica
Please make one of those! Many people that I know and me find it quite hard and uncomfortable to use a "hard" desktop keyboard after being used to use the "soft" laptop one. This could end that! I hope Apple can get some inspiration like this.

Where's the keypad?

That's for rev.b:p

iCheddar

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2007
South Dakota
Somebody here really ought to get in contact with a keyboard manufacturer, or even Apple themselves. Get some capital and fab up a prototype.

Hell, I know I'd buy one!

SuperCompu2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2006
MA
if someone could find the pin-out for a PowerBook or iBook keyboard I'd be willing to make a slim USB or whatever keyboard.

I dont know what kind of bus the keyboard resides on but if I could replicate it I'd build one in a heart beat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.