PDA

View Full Version : MacWhispers and the PB 970

chazmox
Jun 23, 2003, 06:09 PM
I really am pissed at myself! I mean even though I argued against a PB 970 PB coming out today ( due to the fact that it's easier to integrate a new arch into a tower than a laptop ) I still got sucked into the reality distortion field that this site generates! What does it take for me to learn???

I mean if it smells like crap, looks like crap, IT IS CRAP and no amount of searching for nuggets of truth is going to change that!

The only thing I know that MW has gotten right is the Firewire/USB 2.0 cable and that doesn't exactly get me excited...

Is Jack Campbell just making this stuff up to drive business to his site or are his info suppliers in Taiwan laughing behind their hands when they tell him something???

Either way the result is the same - YOUR TIME SPENT AT MW IS WASTED!!! Please do not patronize this site - or if you have to please understand that it is fiction ( and often not very pleasant fiction! ).

I posting this several places because I am so pissed!

dstorey
Jun 23, 2003, 06:31 PM
Poor macwhispers got EVERYTHING wrong again

powerbook 970 - nope

specs better than leaked image - nope

image was no way a mistake, had to be a hack - lol nope nope nope

case with cleam metal front and plastics on the side - nope, mesh and all alu

whole range 970 - nope again

mini white plastic thing - judgmenet still out but nope so far

isn't looking good is it?

Sun Baked
Jun 23, 2003, 06:37 PM
While true to a point, there are some members stopping by and complaining that we unfairly BASH the "other" rumor sites and continually point out the weaknesses of their past rumor history.

arn will probably point out the other sites hits and misses in the rumor wrapup.

But there is no need to be so hostile with Jack, he did after all have that spiffy image of the G5 mockup in the special hytech security wrap on his MacMice site. :p

chazmox
Jun 23, 2003, 06:55 PM
yes, I guess you're right... if you wrap the new PowerMac in brown paper it looks exactly like the pic on his site...

How do you suppose he got a pre-release version to photograph in brown paper??? I'll bet one of his suppliers sent him one!!!

Yea, that's the ticket!!!

Golem
Jun 23, 2003, 10:31 PM
But didnt he get that wrong as well.

Something about lifting the front so you could easier access to the usb/firewire ports at the bottom front of machine?

chazmox
Jun 24, 2003, 01:02 AM
About us unfairly bashing other sites...

I really don't have a problem with people stating their opinion... but when someone says that they have contacted a supplier and he states that 2-weeks of inventory is on the shelf.. or "confirms" through two sources that the ipod will not change ( he yo-yo'ed every week for a while on this one ), I do have a problem with that.

I mean how do you make this kind of mistake... I guess, I start to beleive that they are not mistakes...

I have compiled a list of MacWhispers "confirmed" errors. I got into an argument with Jack on his site and he removed the posts. Would love to post them here...

Arn, ( or whoever ) thanks for moving my thead back - I don't do this to beat up Jack - just to insist on a higher standard for the community... and if he is just publishing stuff to generate traffic, well... let just not speculate about that...

Apple][Forever
Jun 24, 2003, 03:17 AM
On the other hand, we should all chip in and buy MacBidouille a pizza.

zimv20
Jun 24, 2003, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by Apple][Forever
On the other hand, we should all chip in and buy MacBidouille a pizza.

i'm good for a topping, but i'm not chipping in for delivery!

unless i'm the one who gets to fly to paris...

chazmox
Jun 24, 2003, 08:41 AM
I already ignore MacBidouille. I guess it's because I can't read french and never get what the translation SW spews out.

Jack is incredible! He claims that he has no responsibility to the Mac community for what he writes and that it is his personal weblog and that he cares little if no one reads it!

He also crys poverty at the $400 a month he has to spend to get 11 million targeted eyeballs looking at his site and at his MacMice ads. He says he gets very little sales from the site. But where else could he get such cheap, targeted advertising??? The lack of sales is not the websites fault...

Sun Baked
Jun 24, 2003, 06:37 PM
Some of that stuff on MacWhispers is funny, like this...As usual, MacWhispers has gone out on a limb and gotten bitchslapped by yours truly.

What does Jack expect? I read MacWhispers, too! and can and will delay product releases to make him look stoooopid.

SJ
Posted by Steve Jobs at June 23, 2003 04:50 PM Then there is this...1. I sell no advertising. I allow a friend who helps me maintain the site put a banner or two on the front page. And, I put a couple of ads there for my own business. Otherwise, MacWhispers has, for me, grown into a $300 to $500 per month bandwidth bill.

2. This is a personal blog. I would publish it, and publish it the same way if nobody read it, or if the present 30,000+ unique visitors per day read it. The site had over 11,000,000 file hits and over 2 million pageviews in May. I try not to care, and to just keep playing around with my effort to turn industry chitchat into accurate product predictions. And, it ain't easy...

3. I am amazed that anyone would take a little experimental blog like this as seriously as some seem to (or pretend to). Jeez, guys...relax. Tone down the intensity. I'm just having some fun and playing around with a new approach to rumor publishing. Like the bottom banner here has said since the site went up: there are no guarantees of accuracy, stated or implied.

4. I'm considering adding mandatory registration for posting comments. I hate to do so, but managin this comments systems is, again, turning into real work. And, that's not something I want to get into with what is supposed to be an R&R activity.

5. One more time, for the record: this site is nothing more nor less than a personal blog of mine. Take it or leave it. But don't complain about it, unless I send you a bill.
Posted by MacWhispers at June 24, 2003 01:20 AM

MrJamie
Jun 24, 2003, 06:44 PM
wow, that's a ton of readers.

Almost makes me want to start a site that does nothing more than evaluate the rumors on other rumor sites -- sort of like macrumors does.

If I could get that many visitors, and put by 15+ years of mac experience to use... ;)