Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ForrestGump

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 28, 2004
Ok,

I finally talked a friend into buying a macbook. She will be ordering it this week, and will help her out when it arrives.

She currently has a ipod nano for her Windoze computer. Will her Windows formatted ipod work on her new laptop, or will she have to buy a new nano?

Anyone else gone through this? I don't want her first Mac experience to be a frustrating (incompatible) one.

Thanks in advance :)

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
It will work fine, she won't even have to re-format it, Macs can understand Windoze format drives...

If she wants to re-format it to Mac-style, she can do so in Disk Utility :)

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Have a look at this support article and some of the links contained therein.

A Windows-formatted iPod can be used with both Windows and OS X. However, any software updates to the iPod must be applied through a Windows machine. You can reformat a Windows-formatted iPod to Mac format as well, which is advisable if she plans to solely use the MacBook and wants to update the iPod software through it when necessary.

juanster

macrumors 68020
Mar 2, 2007
toronto
it own t be a problem at all, you will just have to format her nano to mac, just remember to get the music tahst currently in the nano into the new macbook first , you can use senuti it works great and you can just download it for free. then all you gotta do is press restore ipod in iTunes and upload the new library(which will be the same anywyas ) and from then on she'll just use her macbook to sync her ipod...pm me if you have nay questions i ve gone through this three times now. but it snot complicated at all...by the way you dont have to restore you iPod into mac os x format but i would recommend you to do so, so tha you cna get updates on it and stuff..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.