Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrJamie

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2003
If anyone gets their hands on non-apple benchmarks/tests of any G5 systems, I'd appreciate if they put them here.

i.e. if someone was able to get their hands on a machine at WWDC and toy around with it, etc.

Thanks!

gbojim

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2002
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by non-apple, but they are publishing Spec benchmarks performed by a third party.

One of my developers is at WWDC and she said the thing is amazing looking and wicked fast.

What exactly are you looking for?

MrJamie

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2003
By non-apple I just meant no links to the apple web page or references to the tests they've done already.

I'd just like to see people's impressions actually using the computer -- i.e. finder performance, application performance (i.e. rendering tests -- app/game/etc.), etc.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
yeah, you cant look away from the spec results. those are the most well respected benchmarks that you can have. apple has proven themselves with spec and whopping intels ass with there xeons and pentiums. dont know what else you are looking for.

iJon

MrJamie

macrumors member
Original poster
May 7, 2003
True, SPEC scores are nice, but in the SPEC on G5 post you can see that perhaps everything is not as it seems.

gbojim

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2002
I think it will be very difficult to find what you are looking for until the systems are released. Even then, anyone who benchmarks has an agenda.

I would say the most trustworthy folks to listen to at this time are the software companies announcing they will be optimizing for the G5. They will have had enough access to the machines to be convinced it is worthwhile to do so. I think one of the best was the fellow from Wolfram who said they would be positioning the Mac against engineering workstations. That says a lot. Some people will say that's just marketing hype. But, their committment is now a matter of public record. It will be very difficult for them to change their story.

A couple of things to remember: most people do not have the skills to conduct a true benchmark. Decisions have to be made regarding how to set up and run the programs. Look at all the crap being raised over the SPEC benchmarks Apple commissioned, and most of the crap being raised is a bunch of BS from people who don't have a clue what they're talking about.

The other big thing is the functions people use in applications is often quite different. So, whereas an application may be fast for one person may not be so fast for someone else. The G5 killed the Dell box on the Photoshop poster - that will be representative for a lot of PS users, but nowhere near all of them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.