Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cindynjgirl79

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2007
New Jersey
just something i was thing about because that's what happened to me. i got a iPod mini because i played around with my cousin's and just had to had to have one. then the video iPod came out, had to have it. still have both and love them very much. i saw sick of sitting in front of my pc and crying when things went wrong with it. henceforth i got a MacBook. now i don't touch the pc at all and thinking about getting a miniMac.just like a drug, always on the chase for the next apple high. does this happen to everyone who gets and iPod? will it ever end?

ASneeze

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2007
Cork, Ireland
This is very true. I showed a very first gen iPod to a friend and he was hooked straight away. I saw this guy again the following year and by that stage he already had his own imac, a powerbook for his office and an ibook just around the place.
His addiction progressed further. Soon the house had more ipods than people. He installed an xserve to cope with all the computers. Now he feeds his addiction on the itunes store (just bought an apple tv too).
Id almost be worried but he had a load of windows stuff beforehand lol.

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
Not true for me. I personally avoided iPods at all costs. Then for university I decided a macbook would suit my needs best, and because my mp3 player's battery had given up the ghost anyway, I returned it and used the refund money to buy an ipod because it would work seamlessly with my macbook, I wanted as much of a troublefree experience with my hardware as possible.

iToaster

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2007
In front of my MacBook Pro
I think that the iPod definitly converts some people. Heck, if it weren't for the iPod, not that many people would know Apple even existed. But it worked for me, got an iPod for my birthday, and then I found out Macs existed and bought one.

tkidBOSTON

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2005
The Hub of the Universe
ok what is it?

A quick google search of "ipod halo effect" nets over a million hits.
It was a common catch phrase used about a year ago to talk about the effect described in this thread.

From here:

The Halo Effect

Analysts and industry experts have talked much about the "halo" effect of iPod sales, or the idea that continued sales of iPods to Windows PC owners will eventually translate into increased Mac sales. Although Apple's marketshare hasn't moved significantly yet, Oppenheimer said there is anecdotal evidence to suggest that things are moving in that direction, including a steady stream (in the range of low to mid 40 percent) of first-time Mac buyers at the Apple retail stores and increased uptake of iBook and PowerBook systems by high school and college students who have already bought iPods -- an assertion supported by college student market research firm Student Monitor.

Cindynjgirl79

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2007
New Jersey
ok i just read a bunch of articles about this, it is so insane! 52% of people who get iPod said that that thier next computer will be a Mac! thanks for telling me about this.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
I agree, after I got an iPod and it was always not working because of Windows I knew my next computer would have to be an Apple.

Frankf300

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2006
NY
The iPod was definitely my intro to Apple. Until I got my iPod I didn't even know Apple existed lol. I had heard of Mac, but thought, "o, it'll be way too hard switching to a new OS." It turned out, Mac was a heck of a lot easier than Windows lol. The iPod Mini started it all for me, now I'm officialy addicted :D .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.