PDA

View Full Version : Exclusive: McCartney Goes Digital, Beatles 'Virtually Settl...

MacBytes
May 11, 2007, 08:44 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Tunes
Link: Exclusive: McCartney Goes Digital, Beatles 'Virtually Settled' (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20070511094440)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

mainstreetmark
May 11, 2007, 09:50 AM
He'll be happy when he realizes that there are folks out there who will have bought Abby Road in vinyl, cassette, cd and soon mp3.

Cindynjgirl79
May 11, 2007, 10:18 AM
2 of my favourite things the beatles and apple.

juanster
May 11, 2007, 10:29 AM
hope this happens soon

netdog
May 11, 2007, 10:34 AM
He'll be happy when he realizes that there are folks out there who will have bought Abby Road in vinyl, cassette, cd and soon mp3.

Well, AAC anyway, and maybe even one tier that isn't protected.

Cindynjgirl79
May 11, 2007, 10:36 AM
with jacko owning the rights to the beatles songs, what's going on on that end with that catalog? i would love to see all of the beatles songs on iTunes. this is better than nothing.

netdog
May 11, 2007, 10:51 AM
with jacko owning the rights to the beatles songs, what's going on on that end with that catalog? i would love to see all of the beatles songs on iTunes. this is better than nothing.

I think Sony owns them now. Jacko, if you remember, ran into some financial problems.

Cindynjgirl79
May 11, 2007, 10:54 AM
I think Sony owns them now. Jacko, if you remember, ran into some financial problems.

ah yes buying off all of those kids can do that to your bank account.

mainstreetmark
May 11, 2007, 04:16 PM
Well, AAC anyway, and maybe even one tier that isn't protected.

I used "mp3" to mean "generic digital music file". After all, even "AAC" has a "m4a" extension. I didn't want to confuse any of our friends in the RIAA.

Peace
May 11, 2007, 06:17 PM
June is going to be a very,very busy month for Apple!!

esaleris
May 16, 2007, 07:36 AM
How many times are there going to be rumors about Beatles or ex-Beatles on iTunes? I swear there's a news article on it every 2-3 months and nothing ever happens... :p

kalisphoenix
May 16, 2007, 07:52 AM
How many times are there going to be rumors about Beatles or ex-Beatles on iTunes? I swear there's a news article on it every 2-3 months and nothing ever happens... :p

Yeah, between Beatles on iTunes and the Second Coming, I'm beginning to think that I should just stop listening to people mentioning any future event.

"Yes, little Janey will be turning 3 on Saturday --"
"Yeah, we'll just see about that, won't we? :rolleyes: "

chuckles:)
May 16, 2007, 07:54 AM

but now there IS one on itunes:p

psychofreak
May 16, 2007, 07:56 AM
Why would someone buy a Beatles album from the iTS when they already have the CD?

i.Feature
May 16, 2007, 07:59 AM
I'm pretty happy that this is finally coming to a head. Now apple can concentrate on other endevors and i can download some tunes i'm missing.:D

dernhelm
May 16, 2007, 08:01 AM
Maybe, if like me, you don't own the CD. I owned all the vinyl, can't play it anymore (turntable broke, and couldn't justify fixing it) and never bought the CD versions (too cheap).

If I can pick up what songs I want for $1.29 (unprotected higher quality), you bet I will!

johnee
May 16, 2007, 08:03 AM
wow, this is pretty good news. hope it happens.

iGav
May 16, 2007, 08:05 AM
Why would someone buy a Beatles album from the iTS when they already have the CD?

How else do you think they've sold so many records?

Belly-laughs
May 16, 2007, 08:05 AM

Easy. Put one or two "old abandoned redordings" on the iTunes album version, see the cash shift hands quicker than you can say "Tax Man".

bartelby
May 16, 2007, 08:07 AM
Easy. Put one or two "must have" bonus tracks on the iTunes album version, see the cash shifting hands quicker than you can say "Tax Man".

Surely there can't be any of those left.
The Beatles catalogue has been milked dry hasn't it?

psychofreak
May 16, 2007, 08:10 AM
How else do you think they've sold so many records?

What do you mean?

I can see someone buying the CD if they already have the vinyl, but you can put your CD onto your computer, so why buy the iTunes one aswell?

thebill
May 16, 2007, 08:12 AM

... or 8 track tapes, you left out 8 track ... I loved my 8 track player, two big speakers, "D" battery power, I set it on my rear seat of my '59 Chevy, spread way apart for good stereo effect. Beatles, Rolling Stones & the Woodstock Movie Soundtrack! Groovy Baby! :cool: :D

Belly-laughs
May 16, 2007, 08:13 AM
Most big artists have a waste bin of recordings much larger than their official catalogues, so I can´t see no end to special releases. Not even when Sir Paul passes – Stella will continue.

Evangelion
May 16, 2007, 08:19 AM
Who cares about McCartney? Seriously? Beatles might be interesting, but McCartney? Blah.

The Beatles own all the right to the songs. What Whacko-Jacko owned was the rights to re-record those songs. So if someone wanted to make a cover-version of a Beatles-song, he had to talk to Jacko. But Beatles-songs performed by the Beatles were still owned by the Beatles.

failsafe1
May 16, 2007, 08:31 AM
I would only hope the Beatles show up so people can stop wishing. I don't care one way or the other. I still see the Beatles as the original boy band who made good with some nice music later but could not last. No arguments please. I know they are influential and such. I just don't enjoy them like others. But I have said all along that anything that gives the iTunes store an edge I am all for.:D

egdiroh
May 16, 2007, 08:38 AM

Because CDs get scratches, and even though the Beatles are back catalog material, I've never seen them at reduced prices. And I really don't feel like
shelling out another $20 for an album I aleady own, so I've been waiting for iTunes.

failsafe1
May 16, 2007, 08:48 AM

That is a question not just for Beatles releases but for any older music. I have had several albums that started on vinyl and made there way all the way up to iTunes MP3. So the answer is ease of use, not wanting another physical format to deal with, and the ability to cherry pick the tunes I want. I like not having the disc, and packaging that goes with it. I want to listen to the music not generate the waste or deal with tracks I don't care about. I don't need to figure out which tracks I like off an album from 30 years ago.

tk421
May 16, 2007, 08:57 AM

Because CDs get scratches, and even though the Beatles are back catalog material, I've never seen them at reduced prices. And I really don't feel like
shelling out another $20 for an album I aleady own, so I've been waiting for iTunes.

I bought several Beatles CDs for $9.99. Caught them on sale at places like Best Buy and Circuit City.

However, if the Beatles catalog is being remastered, as has been rumored, then I imagine a lot of CD owners will rebuy either CDs or iTunes.

suzerain
May 16, 2007, 09:03 AM
Well, this press release really isn't about the Beatles; it's about Paul McCartney's new album.

Therefore, I marked the story "negative", because man, do we not need another Paul McCartney album. I mean, really...he has sucked since like 1977.

I know, I know, flame bait, but I'm entitled to my opinion.

jcoop
May 16, 2007, 09:48 AM
...However, if the Beatles catalog is being remastered, as has been rumored, then I imagine a lot of CD owners will rebuy either CDs or iTunes.

Exactly. The remastering that was done twenty years ago for the original CD releases was pretty poor. Newly remastered versions, if properly done and available at 256 kbps, will be worth it for me.

Edge100
May 16, 2007, 09:53 AM

The CD releases are *****. They BADLY need a remastering, which, from what I have read, is exactly what has been going on. I'd also like to see the mono releases of various singles and albums be released as well.

I'll make a prediction: The Beatles catalog (perhaps not the entire catalog, but a good amount of it) will be released on iTunes on June 1, which is the 40th anniversary of the release of "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band", and the 20th anniversary of its release on CD.

Edge100
May 16, 2007, 09:55 AM
Well, this press release really isn't about the Beatles; it's about Paul McCartney's new album.

Therefore, I marked the story "negative", because man, do we not need another Paul McCartney album. I mean, really...he has sucked since like 1977.

I know, I know, flame bait, but I'm entitled to my opinion.

Yes, you're entitled to your opinion. You are not, however, entitled to be right :) :) :) .

'Flaming Pie' (1997) was an excellent album, though a bit spotty. 'Chaos and Creation...' was ok.

I'll agree with the sentiment of what you're saying (Paul's best work is behind him...in about 1970, actually), but he has had his moments.

Digital Skunk
May 16, 2007, 10:01 AM
Good... I can put some beatles music on my new full screen, touch sensitive iPod. It will be wonderful... just like I dreamed it. :D

Digital Skunk
May 16, 2007, 10:07 AM

I don't have any Beatles CDs or vinyl or anything :eek:

How could I have survived I know... it was a terrible childhood :(

Anyway... there are plenty of songs I have yet to get as hard copies that I have been procrastinating on. Plenty of box sets, greatest hits, and large elaborate "every song ever made by this person" collectors items that have been sitting on the self at FYI and SamGoody for years that I have been eyeballing for a few years... its just that hardcopies are just too dag on expensive... digitize that puppy :cool:

sonarghost
May 16, 2007, 10:18 AM

You've got to understand that there is a whole new generation that is "growing up" using iTS or some other electronic music medium to get their music. I for one was too young for the records and am just getting old enough to appreciate the beatles. I also get virtually ALL my music electronically in one form or another. There are alot of people like me out there..AND future generations along with it that will make the purchases when available on iTS.. :)

EagerDragon
May 16, 2007, 10:31 AM
They should add a don't care to the positive/negative poll.

Draelius
May 16, 2007, 10:35 AM

Because the iTunes versions come Steve-approved. Duh!

aricher
May 16, 2007, 10:37 AM
I know it's a big "what if," but what if at special event Apple announced 5.1 surround mixes available on iTunes? First mix - the new Beatles Love 5.1 release to be followed by new 5.1 mixes of all the Beatles catalog. This would be an incentive for everyone who already owns the material to repurchase.

Surely there can't be any of those left.
The Beatles catalogue has been milked dry hasn't it? Not in the commercial release area. There are tons of bootlegs out there (Unsurpassed Masters, etc.) that feature studio outtakes but very few have been legitimately released as bonus tracks on reissues. Personally I would love to have some of those recordings at better sound quality than the old bootlegs.

morespce54
May 16, 2007, 10:51 AM

Didn't you heard? It's bound to happen on Valentine's Day... ;)

One day, it will happen... but I just can't wait...

nemaslov
May 16, 2007, 11:03 AM
I don't have any Beatles CDs or vinyl or anything :eek:

How could I have survived I know... it was a terrible childhood :(

Anyway... there are plenty of songs I have yet to get as hard copies that I have been procrastinating on. Plenty of box sets, greatest hits, and large elaborate "every song ever made by this person" collectors items that have been sitting on the self at FYI and SamGoody for years that I have been eyeballing for a few years... its just that hardcopies are just too dag on expensive... digitize that puppy :cool:

The entire Beatles and McCartney catalogue will also come out in newly remastered and packaged CDs. If you are considering any of the entire albums rather than just selected tracks, get those. One of the guys (Jeff Jones) from Sony Legacy just became head of the Beatles' Apple Corps and Legacy's reissues are amazing. Boxes , mastering, booklets. They did Johnny Cash, the Byrds, Dylan, Miles Davis the new Sly Stone series...Wonderful packages, so my guess is that finally the Beatles will have their catalogue out as it should be: These are the albums to BUY on CD: Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, White Album, Abbey Road, Magical Mystery Tour..and then Beatles for Sale, Hard Days Night and Help. The others are great too but you can buy the tracks. And then there are the singles. They will probably re do the two Pastmater discs with their Singles.

The Beatles always wanted their fans to have great value in their music and these original British releases never included the hit singles. They didn't want them to buy duplicates. In Amerca, Capitol changed that (too bad). So the singles like I want to hold your Hand, She Loves You, Hey Jude, Day Tripper, We Can work it Out, Paperback Writer, Rain, and on and on will probably be included as a separate album set to buy or individual dowloads.

Again for the price/value. The CDS will be a much better deal if you plan to buy an entire album. Sound quality, package, physical pleasure without limitations.

Digital Skunk
May 16, 2007, 01:46 PM
The entire Beatles and McCartney catalogue will also come out in newly remastered and packaged CDs. If you are considering any of the entire albums rather than just selected tracks, get those. One of the guys (Jeff Jones) from Sony Legacy just became head of the Beatles' Apple Corps and Legacy's reissues are amazing. Boxes , mastering, booklets. They did Johnny Cash, the Byrds, Dylan, Miles Davis the new Sly Stone series...Wonderful packages, so my guess is that finally the Beatles will have their catalogue out as it should be: These are the albums to BUY on CD: Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt. Pepper, White Album, Abbey Road, Magical Mystery Tour..and then Beatles for Sale, Hard Days Night and Help. The others are great too but you can buy the tracks. And then there are the singles. They will probably re do the two Pastmater discs with their Singles.

The Beatles always wanted their fans to have great value in their music and these original British releases never included the hit singles. They didn't want them to buy duplicates. In Amerca, Capitol changed that (too bad). So the singles like I want to hold your Hand, She Loves You, Hey Jude, Day Tripper, We Can work it Out, Paperback Writer, Rain, and on and on will probably be included as a separate album set to buy or individual dowloads.

Again for the price/value. The CDS will be a much better deal if you plan to buy an entire album. Sound quality, package, physical pleasure without limitations.

Yeah... there is nothing like actually holding the CD and album art in your hands when it comes to those collectors items. The average stuff I can buy off of iTS and save a few bucks but if they make a collectors set with hardbound books and special tracks then the heavy, space consuming collectors album it will be.

justaddwater
May 16, 2007, 02:01 PM
:confused: what will making the album available on "pre order" do??? its not as if they send it to you, or they will run out of stock!!! :confused:

psychofreak
May 16, 2007, 02:09 PM
:confused: what will making the album available on "pre order" do??? its not as if they send it to you, or they will run out of stock!!! :confused:

According to Apple:Upon pre-ordering the thirteen-track album, customers will immediately receive the single “Ever Present Past”; they will then receive the “Dance Tonight” music video when “Ever Present Past” is delivered.

Cult Follower
May 16, 2007, 06:35 PM
I have been waiting for this for a long time, the road is no paved for the entire Beatles catalog to be available.

DB2k
May 17, 2007, 03:00 AM
unless the law is changed soon (and I hope it isn't) the nall the Beatles stuff will be free soon as the 50 years will be up. Money grabbing Cliff Richard and Paul MCCartney are trying to get the law changed to 70 years but atm.. they could be about to lose the rights to their music.

Edge100
May 17, 2007, 05:59 AM
unless the law is changed soon (and I hope it isn't) the nall the Beatles stuff will be free soon as the 50 years will be up. Money grabbing Cliff Richard and Paul MCCartney are trying to get the law changed to 70 years but atm.. they could be about to lose the rights to their music.

Sorta.

The copyright held by the publisher expires 50 years after the death of the composer, which is why you can perform Beethoven in public without paying any royalties to anyone; its public domain.

BUT, the recordings will forever remain the property of the owners of the masters (in the case of The Beatles, this is EMI).

So, while you will eventually be able to use the songs however you'd like, EMI will always own the rights to the recordings made by the Beatles.