PDA

View Full Version : Stop iPod from moutning to desktop

wakerider017
May 11, 2007, 11:00 AM
I usually have my iPod plugged into my iMac so it can charge.

Every time the computer is turned on, or comes out of sleep the ipod icon is mounted on the desktop, and the actual iPod's backlight stays on.

I have to manually drag it to the eject button every time to get it un-mounted and turn the iPod's backlight off.

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/1518/picture2qt1.png

These are the settings I have for it in iTunes:

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/570/picture1az0.png

Mpulsive81
May 11, 2007, 03:55 PM
I think you'd have an issue if your computer *didn't* mount a peripheral when plugging it in. I'm not sure of a way to stop that. I understand your train of thought though. But lets say we could do this and disable usb items from mounting when plugged in...what would happen if you wanted to mount a usb card reader? Or what if you decided you *did* want it mounted an hour later...how would you be able to get it to mount? See my point?

Bunsen
May 11, 2007, 10:46 PM
I've been thinking about this also, as I like to have my iPod charging, but not necessarily mounted. I was thinking about building a "charge only" usb extension cable that would only connect the 2 power wires and leave the 2 data wires unconnected. Then I could charge without mounting. Or you could take it one step further, and put in a switch to connect the data lines; then it would simply be the flick of a switch to mount your iPod!

Tom B.
May 12, 2007, 10:24 AM
If you tick 'Open iTunes when this iPod is connected', your iPod will sync, then automatically eject itself. Mine does.

lozanoj83
May 13, 2007, 12:19 AM
Try to give it a good restore,
restore's always seem to solve my iPod problems
btw, its not a good idea to put up ur iPod serial #.... people could get it and use the warranty on it...

fliprich
Mar 12, 2008, 07:47 AM
I have the same issue as the original poster.

My iPod nano sits in a dock connected to my Mac Pro (for charging and syncing) and to my Denon Hi-Fi (for good quality playback whilst at my desk).

What I want to happen when I wake my Mac from sleep is this:

1) iPod to be connected for charging - the backlight can come on to indicate that it has found a power source
2) Nothing else - I want to be able to carry on listening to what's playing on the iPod, or if it's paused, to keep the position (I may be hundreds of tracks into a playlist)

What I actually get is the Mac picks up on the fact that there's an iPod, it doesn't launch iTunes - I assume because the iPod hasn't just been connected but was already known about. However, it connects to the iPod briefly and the sends the iPod back to it's main menu, reseting the playing position. One reason for having the iPod (dock) connected to a Hi-Fi is so I can play music regardless of the computer being on / sleeping / waking. I can accept that a full computer restart will re-mount the iPod, but I rarely restart my Mac.

I've recently switched from PC to Mac for my main work machine and can confirm that the Windows XP machine used to work happily with regards to the iPod issue above, so I know it can be done.

angemon89
Mar 12, 2008, 08:24 AM
I have the same problem with my iPod shuffle. It mounts to my desktop whenever I plug it in, and I cant unplug it without having to unmount it first. It sort of annoying. I just want to be able to plug it in to charge and unplug it whenever I want to use it.

This wasn't always the problem though, when I checked the "enable disk use" box in iTunes thats when it started happening. Since then I have unchecked the box and tried restoring the iPod but this minor annoyance still persists.