PDA

View Full Version : IPod Issue. How can I get my data?

iPowers
May 11, 2007, 01:10 PM
I have a white ipod that can only watch music, it isn't that modern and it has 20 GB, and here is the story

I got an ipod from my dad that is sort of old, but I used it and for 3 months now, it worked fine. Yesturday, it froze and when I reset it, it showed a folder with an exclamation point. That error told me to visit the apple website, and they told me to charge it, which I did and it still doesn't work. So they suggestion to restart, restore, reinstall, reset, retry.

Restarting my computer and reinstalling itunes was pointless for me.

The reset option didn't work and t he only option is to restore it, but the issue would eventually haunt the ipod again.

When I connect it into my computer, it says it is corrupted. When I leave it off for a while, it works like normal, but freezes a bit, and skips 95% of my songs.

I use it as a backup drive to save my data on and I need to access it.

Is there a way I can get to the files to save them on my computer, get it to work without having to restore it, or having to get a program that can fix it or be able toa ccess it even though it won't show in finder.

If you help me, I will give you a best answer big time and do not say to restore the ipod, which I will not do unless I can access my stuff.

The stuff is still in there, it isn't gone, and I want to have a chance to get it before it is too late.

mad jew
May 11, 2007, 08:16 PM
Okay, no guaranties, but I think this is your best option. Cool the iPod right down and leave it for twenty four hours, untouched. I use a small ice bucket with some plastic around the iPod to make sure it doesn't get wet. Now, plug it into the computer and use Disk Utility to mount it. Close iTunes before it opens and starts syncing because this'll just put more strain on the iPod. Once it's mounted on your Desktop, try dragging across your files. Don't do it in large batches because it probably won't work and you'll have to start from the top. Take your files back, bit by bit. If the iPod is formatted for Windows and you have a PC handy, use that instead. PCs seem to put less strain on the iPod too, and they're less picky about the dodgy connection. Good luck and post back if you have any more questions. :)

iPowers
May 11, 2007, 08:47 PM
From Yahoo answers, this site, and apple discussions, I have been hearing a lot of interesting ideas.

I love your idea, but there are 2 problems.

1. I have a Mac

2. All my data is still in it, it is just my ipod is having PMS and it won't let me access it or have it show correctly.

As for the cold thing, that is an interesting idea, and I will try that.

panoz7
May 11, 2007, 09:05 PM
2. All my data is still in it, it is just my ipod is having PMS and it won't let me access it or have it show correctly.

It's not the iPod, it's the hard drive in the iPod that's messed up. Your symptoms describe a failing hard drive.

Mad Jew's suggestions is probably your best hope. The fact that it works for a little bit after being off for a while is promising... hard drive platters tend to expand when they heat up and become unreadable. Freezing it for a while might cool them down for just long enough to get the data off.

By the way... and I know this isn't your concern right now, but a backup isn't a backup if it's in only one location. I'm amazed at how many people buy backup drives, move the files too them, delete the originals, and then panic when the "backup" drive fails.

iPowers
May 12, 2007, 11:04 AM
That's the problem. I want to keep it on. I may as well just restore if if I want the data to just go away. The music is not th emajor deal, but the deal is the stuff in the ipod that I put into it using finder (aka using it as a flash drive, which is about 18 GB, and I can't afford to lose it)

panoz7
May 12, 2007, 03:43 PM
That's the problem. I want to keep it on. I may as well just restore if if I want the data to just go away. The music is not th emajor deal, but the deal is the stuff in the ipod that I put into it using finder (aka using it as a flash drive, which is about 18 GB, and I can't afford to lose it)

I got that. Your data (whether it's music, pictures, documents, whatever) isn't safe on that drive. Restoring the iPod is a temporary fix. It's not the iPod that's broken but the harddrive that's in it.

Follow madjew's instructions to get the data off of it. Put it on DVD's if you don't have room for it on your computer... but don't continue using the iPod as a backup drive. You can order a new harddrive for it (they're not inexpensive, but it's cheaper then a whole new iPod) and install it yourself.

spork183
May 12, 2007, 03:52 PM
couple things- first, the cold thing is often a winner if heat causes the issue with the drive (and 90% of the time it does (the 90% was pulled from an obscure source titled, "off the top of my head...")), so mad jew is right, as usual. However, if your computer is portable, stick the pod in the fridge overnight, then pull up a chair and leave the pod in the fridge while you try to reason with your errant files. The extra cold won't hurt, and could help. My only question would be what effect it would have on the battery to be charged while cold.

There is also the tahitian belly dance data recovery method, but it is largely ineffective, though interesting to watch.

mad jew
May 12, 2007, 07:15 PM
That's a good point about the fridge and the Tahitians, but maybe put it in a plastic protective sleeve or something to ensure it doesn't get too much condensation inside it. Try to have as little air in the sleeve as possible.

iPowers
May 12, 2007, 08:01 PM
didn't you gusy say doing that will delete your files? Because it actually worked.

I will try it tonight, and as for gettign the stuff back, the only hope is using this program I found called tunetech, which can help it work

mad jew
May 12, 2007, 09:34 PM
Restoring it will delete the files. Cooling it down shouldn't affect them though.

iPowers
May 27, 2007, 03:30 PM
would there be a way to get the files back if I restore it?

mad jew
May 28, 2007, 07:23 AM
In theory, yes. You could take it to a data recovery place and they might be able to get it all back for you. However, it's not incredibly likely and will be expensive. :o

iPowers
Jun 9, 2007, 07:45 AM
This sort of a side note, but the water idea works. I decided to restore it to the beginning, and it sort of worked. So i got the songs, then it frooze and I had to reset it, then that error happened again, and I stuck it in a cold vnt and it works. The idea totally works even though I didn't use water. Thanks for the idea.

I don't think I can get my data back, plus the brand I have is really freaken old.

EDit: I just decovered now that all the songs scip for no reason. How can I fix this. I am on vacation so I can't access a computer with itunes.