PDA

View Full Version : What's with the two big boxes inside the G5?

lem0nayde
Jun 24, 2003, 09:10 AM
Does anyone know what's up with those two big "G5" marked boxes on the inside of the new machines. Are those just two plastic/metal coverings to keep people from getting at the actual chip and motherboard behind them? Are they decoration? I'm going on the assumption that the G5 chips are quite a bit smaller than those boxes...am I wrong?

http://a832.g.akamai.net/7/832/51/92e623ad584760/www.apple.com/powermac/gallery/images/powermacG5open06232003.jpg

Joe

Laslo Panaflex
Jun 24, 2003, 09:23 AM
I that that they are a shrouds to control air flow, that or two massive heat sinks, or both.

evildead
Jun 24, 2003, 09:25 AM
the cover the heat sync and the CPU. They also act as air pathes for the fans... they guide cool air over the CPUs and hot air away from them

Have you even seen the inside of a Sun server or workstation? Most of the newer ones look much the G5 inside. The Sun Blade1000/2000/2500 have similar internals. At least with Sun, the 'boxes' make adding and swapping out CPU's very easy. You just use the provided torque wrench boot up with the command boot -r and your done.

patrick0brien
Jun 24, 2003, 11:09 AM
-Laslo

Yes, they are just a decorated top to the tuned-airflow heat sinks.

Our IT guy said something yesterday I found funny:

"Worlds most aerodynamic computer."

Have you guys noticed the clear fairing that you must remove after one removes the side panel to get at the innards? No other function than to provide the best collumated air though the zones - possible with some venturi effects as well.