Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aranince

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2007
California
Well, I'm 16 years old and wondering what I should do. My career is Web Programming and Design. Mainly programming till I get better at the design part. Now, for this summer, I want to get a job mainly so I can buy a MBP(unless something interesting is announced at WWDC), and for other essentials.

Now, I have done work in the web area. I've made a flash site for my Church Youth Group, and I've done small things for my dad's company. At this point, should I try and do some small freelance work here and there, or should I just get a normal job. I differences I see is, a normal job you get paid your payment every week and your guaranteed it unless I lose the Job. Freelance I would get more money, but the work is far between and might be hard to find stuff that I can handle. Any advice? should I just work on getting my portfolio bigger? I probably need to get more php/mysql related stuff instead of just html/css stuff on there. I know PHP/MySQL very well, just not much work to show for it.

SC68Cal

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2006
I work both sides of the fence. I work for a college doing many of the same things that you are experienced in, as well as providing freelance services.

My suggestion: you're young, find a job with someone so you can learn more of those skills that you indicated, as well as working odd jobs as a freelancer. You get the stability of a salary and the opportunity of a freelance.

About your resume:
It's a bit plain, but you've got the idea. My one thing is that I list my jobs from oldest to newest to give the reader an idea of my background, moving up in skills and responsibilities until the present.

http://www.seanmcollins.com/site/Home_files/iwebresume.pdf

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.