PDA

View Full Version : Wanting a new iPod

Gorion
May 13, 2007, 11:51 PM
I currently have a Color iPod.
I will be going on vacation this summer, and I'm looking to get a new iPod by July.

Does anyone know/think that a new iPod will be released by July?

myjellyass
May 14, 2007, 06:30 AM
I would be very surprised if Apple did release a new iPod (I'm relating only to full size iPod here by the way); they have already delayed Leopard due to the movement of developers over to the iPhone. They already have a lot on their plate. They will undoubtedly be releasing a full video ipod at some point (which will most likely be the next release; it has been a while that these rumors have been circulating, and I'm not too sure where they can take the current one), similar to the iPhone but without the phone or internet functions at some stage, but if they release it too close to the iPhone, then they may fear that this will draw from the iPhone sales as one of the major functions of the iPhone is the iPod function.

So in summary, probably not, however I don't have any information that nobody else has; this is purely speculation. Hope this helps.

kuebby
May 14, 2007, 04:35 PM
Impossible to say, iPod updates always seem to be coming, the rumors have been going around long enough. :mad:

Dagless
May 15, 2007, 12:02 PM
I just bought myself an iPod 80gb, should be here tomorrow. Figured they won't be updating for a few more months and I can't really fault the 80gb model (the battery life sounds intense!). There will always be a new model out and you will always feel bad for it. Good thing is, iPods hold their value very well (I sold my Mini for 40 less than what I originally paid 2.5 years ago!) so you can always upgrade without spending too much.

Gorion
May 15, 2007, 05:36 PM
Yeah.. I'm thinking of getting an 80GB. The battery life seems like it'll be much better, and you get at least twice the amount of space.

w_parietti22
May 16, 2007, 09:53 PM
im in the same position. My parents said I could order an 80gb iPod as my birthday gift but im not sure if i should wait or just order the 5.5g

juanster
May 16, 2007, 09:59 PM
yeah even though i know they ready for an update, i don't think there will be an update anytime soon, because it will take some some thunder off the iphone coming in june.....

warfa
May 17, 2007, 07:29 PM
I'll wait till august, if nothing comes by then or close to that date, i'll get the 80GB model!:cool:

bluesman87
May 17, 2007, 10:19 PM
i have a feeling they might introduce something side by side with the iphone in june. Something tells me that steve is going to go 'oh and one more thing'
i cant believe they would introduce a touchscreen ipod in a device that is not solely an ipod. The multitouch is a huge advancement and i dont think apple would have the iphone simply sitting next to the VERY outdated larger ipods. I dont think the worry of the iphone being upstaged by the ipod is valid, as they are completely different devices marketing to not wholly the same consumers. i have like 600 bucks put away for an iphone or a new ipod. Whichever one i like better!:)

mrkramer
May 17, 2007, 10:24 PM
i have like 600 bucks put away for an iphone or a new ipod. Whichever one i like better!:)

That is why they will not release a full screen iPod with the iPhone or within a few months of it. It is a better business decision to make the people pay more for getting the technology earlier, otherwise which would you buy, a $300 iPod, or the $600 iPhone?

SkyBell
May 17, 2007, 10:49 PM
That is why they will not release a full screen iPod with the iPhone or within a few months of it. It is a better business decision to make the people pay more for getting the technology earlier, otherwise which would you buy, a $300 iPod, or the $600 iPhone?

Reminds me of these kids talking in Math today:
#1: Dude, I want that iPhone so bad! I'm switching back to Cingular to get it!
#2: Yeah, isn't that the phone with like that really nice touchscreen?
#1: Yeah it has like a special micro chip thingy so if you're texting and you mess up, it won't put the letter you messed up on! That thing is so mine!
Me: You know, that thing costs $600, right?
Silence
#1 Shut up, you don't know anything about it!
Me: Why don't you just wait for a touchscreen iPod?
#1: because there's no such thing! Besides, we're talking about the iPhone, not the iPod!
Me: yeah, the iPhone is a phone and an iPod.
#2 Yeah right, you liar. iPod and iPhone are two different companies, they wouldn't combine products.
Me: Spell iPod on this peice of paper.

He writes something down and hands it back to me. Low and behold, it says I-Pod.:rolleyes:

bluesman87
May 17, 2007, 11:08 PM

*owned*

Evangelion
May 18, 2007, 05:15 AM

If they want/need a phone, they would buy the $600 iPhone. Duh! iPod is not a phone.

And, even if iPod would sell for less, Apple might still make loads of cash on it. If Apple took the camera and cell-phone off the iPhone, they would be saving quite a bit of cash right there. They could sell the touchscreen iPod for 349 and 449, and they would make a hefty profit on each unit sold. But it still wouldn't be an alternative to the iPhone since it's not a phone. And iPhone is not really an alternative to the full-sized iPod due to it's small storage-capacity.

Just because iPhone is more expensive does not mean that Apple would me making more profit selling iPhones than they would get by selling iPods. Besides: iPhone is still about 6 months away from Europe, are we to wait that long for new iPods? And here's the thing: The iPhone makes the iPod look.... old. If Apple came with multitouch-iPod, I would buy it, no questions asked. If they came with yet another clickwheel-iPod, I would be hesitant to buy it. Instead, I would just look at the iPhone and think "I'll wait until they release a multitouch-iPod".

No, iPhone is not an option. I currently have 6GB iPod Mini, and I want more storage-space. A lot more. so iPhone does not cut it. And I already have company-issued cell-phone, so I have no need for cell-phone.

zap2
May 18, 2007, 05:43 AM
Soon, I hope, but Apple has alot to do. Finish OS X 10.5, get the iPhone out, and updates the iMac, Mac Mini and MacBook Pro. The iPod should get an update, but I'd bet we have to wait to atless September, maybe longer!

Evangelion
May 18, 2007, 05:46 AM
Everyone who speculates about the release-date of new iPod should click here (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Full_size_iPod)