PDA

View Full Version : Lord of the Rings MMORPG

winchest
May 14, 2007, 10:08 AM
I know some people on here play WoW, but I was wondering if anyone had picked up the new LOTR MMORPG. I am enjoying the same so far using bootcamp.

SilentPanda
May 14, 2007, 10:27 AM
I play on Arkenstone. I'm playing at a much slower pace than I played WoW... about 1 hour every other day. In WoW it was 4+ hours a day easy. I'm rather enjoying it though especially knowing the end is so far away.

winchest
May 14, 2007, 10:54 AM
I am also playing much more slowly. I play on Valya (sp?). I played WoW very little but I was overly obsessed with FFXI so I thought I would take it easy in LOTR. I am not convinced it is as good of a game as FFXI, but it is still early on so I will reserve judgement.

iSee
May 14, 2007, 12:24 PM
I just installed it last night on my MBP and played a little. I can't remember my server now!

It looks very nice. It is great to play in the LOTR universe. I haven't played enough to judge it, yet. The opening quest was awesome!

winchest
May 14, 2007, 05:30 PM
I wish my MB could actually do the graphics justice, but I pretty much have to run at the lowest graphical settings for good gameplay.

atari1356
May 16, 2007, 03:34 PM
This game seems to be getting some good reviews... how much does it cost per month? (their FAQ doesn't say)

winchest
May 16, 2007, 03:53 PM
It is 15 dollars per month.

SpankyPenzaanz
May 17, 2007, 09:22 AM
I am paying $10 I am on Firefoot and if you like to join the kinship let me know

and this game runs sweet on a 2footer with maxed out everything on the settings

winchest
May 17, 2007, 10:03 AM
I believe the 10 dollars was special pricing for doing the pre-order and being a "founder," but I could be mistaken.

SilentPanda
May 17, 2007, 10:09 AM
If you had pre-ordered the game, you got a pre-order code to put in your account. Pricing is different for those that pre-ordered (also called Founders).

If you are a Founder you can pay $9.99 a month or $199 to be taken care of for the lifetime of the game. If a Founder cancels their subscription (why you'd cancel your lifetime I have no clue) and then starts again later they would have to pay the $14.99 a month even if they had paid the lifetime.

So basically you'll pay $14.99 a month. You can get slightly reduced rates by getting 3 month, 6 month, and 1 year subscriptions in bulk I believe though.

Stevez0r
May 18, 2007, 09:02 AM
You guys have to be playing via bootcamp. Are you using the Mighty Mouse or a regular USB mouse? If your using the Mighty Mouse how is it?

winchest
May 18, 2007, 09:40 AM
I am using the wireless mighty mouse in bootcamp and have had no problems with it.

SpankyPenzaanz
May 18, 2007, 09:48 AM
RazerPro mouse for me and I have love it for everything - better than anything that logitech puts out and cheaper

yellow
May 18, 2007, 10:20 AM
As soon as broadband is available where I live, I will be hooking up to this SOB. <waits on edge of seat>

sb58
May 18, 2007, 10:48 AM
is there a demo? :D

amtctt
May 18, 2007, 11:25 AM
is there a demo? :D

i believe they just had a weekend where it was free and i don't believe there is a demo currently.

SilentPanda
May 18, 2007, 12:25 PM
i believe they just had a weekend where it was free and i don't believe there is a demo currently.

It was free for approximately the whole month before it went live in an open beta.

tristonyeo
Jun 7, 2007, 12:16 PM
hi everyone, i hav been a hardcore mac user for more than 10 yrs and has been out of touch with PC coz i am using mac purely for my work (photography) ... but am now tempted to get a 20inch imac both for work and of course LOTR online ...

just needed some confirmation that the game will not really lag if running from Bootcamp ...

thanks

winchest
Jun 7, 2007, 12:46 PM
At lower settings it does not lag on my MB. I cannot run the highest graphical settings though. Even when I am in towns, things run quite well. I am gettnig a MBP shortly so I can let you know how it does with the dedicated graphics card (128mb VRAM). I want the 256, but cannot justify it for one game. I have 2GB ram in 2 ghz MB.

tristonyeo
Jun 7, 2007, 03:17 PM
hmmm tat is good to know .. i am currently using a mbp 2.33ghz with 3gb ram and the 256 video card ... but this is my workhorse .. so i am not risking it to run both pc & mac on it ..

but am willing to try it on an imac coz it will be my half work/ half play machine ... good to know tat bootcamp works for u guys ... phew ...

djinn
Jul 8, 2007, 08:40 PM
So the 2.33ghz, 2gig RAM runs this game with what kind of settings in bootcamp?

yellow
Jul 9, 2007, 11:06 AM
I play on Arkenstone.

I too play on arkenstone.

My 2.33 w/2GB plays it nicely at ~medium settings.

roydead
May 14, 2009, 06:13 AM
Hi, would I be asking too much to expect LOTRO to run on my mac mini duo core 1.8 with 2gb RAM?
Thanks

Also I see there is a 10 day free trial for this game now so i'll give that a go if you think it will run at all!

davwin
May 18, 2009, 06:25 AM
I play LOTRO (Silverlode) on my uMB 2.0/4GB DDR3 RAM with no problems and it still looks surprisingly good. I play at 1280x800 in DX9 mode, no AA, 4X AF and most settings at High; draw distance, frill and a few others set to Medium. I am very happy with the framerate and at how well this one still looks despite the few trade-offs.