Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wb8vnv

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2003
Ohio
I guess I should be grateful I waited the extra week to buy a new G4--as I had been leaning toward the 1.42 Dual Processor model (as the "high end" offering) vs. the 1.25 models, as the likely one to "stick around" or "be supported" when the next models came out. Imagine my surprise to find that the 1.42 Dual Processor model has virtually from the Apple site and Apple Store listings in just a week since I last pulled the product sheets. As it was, I was hoping to avoid buying another orphan (like my PowerMac 7200--the un-upgradable model between the 7100- and 7300-upgradable models). Now I have to decide whether to wait for a G5 and do without for a while longer, or take advantage of (potential) savings as the G4 1.25MHz machines are moved out.

Am I wrong about the 1.42 GHz Dual Processor G4's? Have they just been moved to another location on Apple's web site or Apple's store? The funny thing is, today while looking at the new G5 page (where most of the old G4 links from ancillary pages now point), the blurb <describing> the unit describes the 1.42 Dual Processor G4, not the G5! I wonder how long it will take for someone to catch/fix that...

Ted Morris
KSU SLIS/Columbus
tamorris@kent.edu

straphound

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2002
Ohio
1.42's are gone

The "new" 1.25's were quietly introduced yesterday along with the G5's. The stock on the dual 1.42's has been running low and from what many sites are saying, they are completely out of stock. As far as I can tell, the Apple store is only offering the 1.25's now. The dual 1.42's and the single 1 GHz's are discontinued. The interesting thing is that the current 1.25’s support booting into OS 9.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Basically all the Revision B PowerMacs are down to shelf/wharehouse stocks, they were EOLd.

The new machine being sold is the machine that was replace by the Rev B machine, and lived as the Legacy PowerMac hidden under the OS 9 boot gif.

It's a Rev A - NO FW800, NO Airport Extreme, NO new USB controller, etc.

Of course this'll make it harder for people to see which dual 1.25 you're buying.

If you want the Rev B - you'll need to look for FW800, Airport Extreme, and lose OS 9 bootablility in the process.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.