PDA

View Full Version : iPod Virus??

Porifera
May 14, 2007, 05:15 PM
Hi

Two months ago I got my very first iPod Video (30G) and I just love it. I have around 1400 songs on it, many pictures, video podcasts, few episodes of "Heroes" and "Prison Break" and I usually keep 4 to 6 movies wich I rotate once a month.

Four days ago, after having my iPod connected to my PC (just hate it!!), whet I wanted to eject it, the computer wouldn't let me. I closed iTunes and every app I was running but still... couln't eject.
Suddenly, the computer just restarted so I unplugged it really fast so this wouldn't happen again.
Before the restart, I noticed 2 folders I had not seen before in the "Coni's iPod" folder: DATA(dataConi) and DataConi... or something like that. When I opened either one of them, it would show me the "My Documents" folder...:confused: pretty weird I thought, but I was too scared to erase it in case they were iPod folders that I just didn't notice before, so I just took them out of the iPod and left them on my Desktop.

Today, as I was studying in the computers lab in the University I go to, I plugged in my iPod and I got this message:

Name :F:\Data CONI CAMPOSANO.exe
Detected as:W32/Rontokbro.gen@MM

In the past 2 days I've had to restart my iPod more frequently than ever because the screen freezes...

I don't care about my pc.. I just don't want my iPod ruined.
What should I do???

PS: sorry for my poor english.. I speak spanish:)

polishmacuser
May 14, 2007, 05:46 PM
well i can tell you that a short majority of ipods have been sold with a virus on them so you might have gotten it from that, but really i think the problem is that once the ipod is formatted for windows and plus its a storage device any virus can just go either your computer or your ipod. I recommend running a virus check on it. And see if that helps.

Cindynjgirl79
May 14, 2007, 05:47 PM
do a scan 1st off, did u just install vista?

Mr.Texor
May 14, 2007, 05:55 PM
Today, as I was studying in the computers lab in the University I go to, I plugged in my iPod and I got this message

ipods also act as drives. So that when you connect them to a computer, you can put files on them.

the problem with this, is that once in a while, you could connect the ipod to an infected computer. your ipod could then be infected. Usually, this kind of infections are done by allowing the virus to write to the master boot record (MBR).

I'm not sure if this is what happened to your ipod and/or if it's even possible. But it does seem like it's possible. I would back up all your data and restore the ipod.

Then, I would check your computer to be sure that it's not infected and if it's infected to clean it.

Si, necesitas ayuda en espaņol, mandame un Private Message :)

Porifera
May 14, 2007, 07:22 PM
Thanks for all the help.

No, I haven't installed vista... I can't, I only have a 10G HD!!! It's a really old computer.. my boyfriend put it together for only US$200, and that's including the display!! So I don't have any Anti-Virus either, but it looks like I'm gonna have to install one and I'm definitly doing a backup of all my iPod and computer's data.

My question is if the iPod got the virus, will it go away if I restore it??

well i can tell you that a short majority of ipods have been sold with a virus on them
If my iPod came with that virus, is it possible to change it??

iHerzeleid
May 14, 2007, 07:29 PM
A restore would wipe everything from the iPod including the virus.

In any case if you don't have an Anti-Virus on your computer, you should at least install AVG (http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/lng/us/tpl/v5)