PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft 'desperate,' says patent complaint target OpenOffice.org

tomoisyourgod
May 15, 2007, 04:33 AM
"Incredible and amazing -- those are the words I have for this," Suarez-Potts, Openoffice.org

read the story...

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9019339&intsrc=hm_list

pilotError
May 15, 2007, 07:53 AM
Your witnessing the downfall of an empire...

Just one more public debacle they've gotten themselves into.

tomoisyourgod
May 15, 2007, 08:14 AM
Your witnessing the downfall of an empire...

Just one more public debacle they've gotten themselves into.

Good - I hope they crash and burn!:p

But because of their dominance in the PC market, us Mac users don't have to put up with viruses etc. due to small market share, that said - the world would probably be a better place without Microsoft.

Lyle
May 15, 2007, 11:39 AM
Was it really necessary to start a new thread to discuss the story that you posted about yesterday (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=304394)?

Muncher
May 16, 2007, 06:30 PM
I personally hope they don't completely disappear; both Apple (Jobs) and Microsoft (Gates) are pieces of computing history by now! Besides, what would happen if Apple became the only major commercial OS availiable? It might be split up into a bunch of little slices :) .

But it wouldn't come down to that. At the very least, Microsoft would downsize and continue selling Office, if nothing else.

zap2
May 16, 2007, 06:40 PM
I personally hope they don't completely disappear; both Apple (Jobs) and Microsoft (Gates) are pieces of computing history by now! Besides, what would happen if Apple became the only major commercial OS availiable? It might be split up into a bunch of little slices :) .

Well one

1) Apple hasn't be willing to sell OS X...or any Mac OS since Jobs came back, maybe this would change is MS went away, but as MS goes away, Linux will grow. OS X will also..but Linux will over take OS X IMO, because it can run on so many for computers. Also it will be a LONG time before MS is gone all the way

JNB
May 16, 2007, 07:06 PM
To: Steve Ballmer

Subject: Patent Claims

Steve,

Option 1. Rather than make vague threats, publish which specific patents you claim are being violated, and see how it plays out in the real world.

Option 2. You & the rest of the executive team cash in some stock, and retire to a remote island where you can all monkey dance to your heart's delight.

We're fairly well tired of Microsoft's nonsense anymore. Develop or die, please. In simpler terms, put up or shut up, you pompous blowhard.

zap2
May 16, 2007, 07:43 PM
I'm really happy that people aren't taking this sitting down. And not just users, but CEO. Sun, OpenOffice all are kick arse, no beating around the bush. Even Novell said they think MS is wrong.

Hopefully IBM, Dell, HP, Google(even if its just to support Linux) and even Apple will speak up.(possibly some have, and I missed it!) MS is big, but they can't overpower Google, Apple, IBM, Dell, HP, Sun and OpenOffice.

And if it even becomes a patents fight, IBM and Apple should be able to stop MS, because I'd bet each company has something that the other uses.

Hell, maybe MS will end up losing market share!

synth3tik
May 16, 2007, 07:53 PM
"The latest draft of the GPLv3 attempts to tear down the bridge between proprietary and open-source technology that Microsoft has worked to build with the industry and customers."

they worked to hard to build a software suite that is out dated and expensive? ..and for the customers, is that what all their study groups have shown, that people would rather pay for proprietary windows software that isn't even backwards compatible?

displaced
May 17, 2007, 05:24 AM
Companies that start bashing the patent drum, especially against other established players, can't help but make me laugh...

If patent law was applied strictly and uniformly across the entire industry (perhaps run by nuclear-fuelled, super-powered patent examiners from the planet Patentron who never overlook a detail) the whole thing would come crashing down in a tangle of lawsuits and bankruptcies.

It's the nature of the software industry, like all sciences, to develop and extend the work of others, both practical and theory. As the inscription around the edge of a 2 coin states, standing on the shoulders of giants.

Father Jack
May 17, 2007, 05:45 AM
Was it really necessary to start a new thread to discuss the story that you posted about yesterday (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=304394)?
I think that such good news is worth posting twice :)

Yeah Microsoft crash and burn :cool:

FJ