PDA

View Full Version : Which G4 is the better deal???

djtet
Jun 24, 2003, 07:29 PM
ok, sorry to post again, but i really would like some feedback (especially from current g4 powermac users)...

i'm upgrading from an old g3 ibook clamshell and need a new system for the basics, plus graphic/web work. no extensive video editing or music...just photoshop, illustrator, flash, etc.

the g5 is out of my price range, and i'm currently looking at the new single 1.25 g4 for $1299. however there is also the single 1 g4 for $1149 (at macmall). i would love to buy refurbished but can't seem to find any good deals. the cheaper the better but if something is only a couple hundred more, and much better specs, i might jump on it. i'd just like to keep it under $1500, thus my reasoning for not going with a g5 (IMO somewhat fair prices, but out of my range...for now!)

any feedback from you current g4 powermac users (1gz, dual 1.25, dual 867, etc.) is greatly appreciated!
thanks,
dan

daveg5
Jun 24, 2003, 08:02 PM
1.25 at 1299 is good but the dual would be much better for osx even though you dont need the power

Rezet
Jun 24, 2003, 08:20 PM
well, If you are talking about Powerbooks. They are garbage now. Probably like 20 times slower than $1999 G5 Pmacs.
So, dont waste money on those till they get upgraded.
If you are talking about Pmacs, Dual 1.25 is the best deal i can think of. plenty of power for quite some time.
But Id only go for DUAL only in ur case. I think single cpus will get old very quickly. Duals are just better values for +$120.

Sun Baked
Jun 24, 2003, 08:28 PM
Current Rev A single 1.25GHz MDD PowerMac $1299 - Plus Boots OS 9, Faster Processor/Bus, Radeon 9000

EOLd Rev B single 1.0 GHZ MDD PowerMac $1149 - Plus FW800, Airport Extreme

---

Need to see if the speed and graphics card is worth the loss of FW800 and Airport Extreme.

crazzyeddie
Jun 24, 2003, 08:38 PM
The graphics card is upgradeable, however, the Radeon 9000 is far superior to the GF4MX found in the machine with FW800 + airport extreme.

Are you going to be using wireless on the machine? It is a desktop after all. Also, FW800, i wouldn't count that worth much. FW400 is still plenty fast enough, and 800 is adaptable to 400, you will still be able to use all the new stuff.

King Cobra
Jun 24, 2003, 08:45 PM
If you plan to run OS 9 with a newer G4 desktop, make SURE that your machine can run and have instaled on it OS 9.

Your 867/1000/1250 (all 2x) are your fastest such models.

Dealtime (www.dealtime.com) has a quality price finder.

Also, IF you plan to get a used such model, don't try to use any experience you don't have with used purchases. If you have the experience, fine. If not, stay away from any iffy deals.

djtet
Jun 24, 2003, 08:55 PM
thanks for the replies...

i won't have a need for airport extreme or firewire 800...i don't plan on going wireless, and after i purchase a computer, i won't have any $$$ left over for any firewire peripherals!:D

i really would love the dual 1.25, but then the price starts pushing over $1600. and if that's the case then for not too much more ($1770) i would be able to buy a new g5 without the modem and without the superdrive (replace with a combo drive). i'll keep checking for deals with the dual 1.25 but might have to eventually fold and go for the single 1.25!!!

King Cobra
Jun 24, 2003, 09:22 PM
You could also buy an older dual 800MHz model Quicksilver, or perhaps an older dual 1GHz model, for cheap.

Don't forget that you will need to buy accessories, such as a monitor (unless you already have one), extra RAM (cheap and quality RAM here (www.18004memory.com)), etc.

medea
Jun 24, 2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Rezet
well, If you are talking about Powerbooks. They are garbage now. Probably like 20 times slower than $1999 G5 Pmacs.
So, dont waste money on those till they get upgraded.
If you are talking about Pmacs, Dual 1.25 is the best deal i can think of. plenty of power for quite some time.
But Id only go for DUAL only in ur case. I think single cpus will get old very quickly. Duals are just better values for +$120.
my god what is wrong with people? This guy is no power user and the current powerbooks are fine and plenty powerful, and everything right now points to the g4 staying in them for a bit. geez, a faster computer comes out and automatically everything that was ok yesterday is now "garbage...."

King Cobra
Jun 24, 2003, 10:02 PM
>a faster computer comes out and automatically everything that was ok yesterday is now "garbage...." (medea)

Mr. Down2earth, you get a point.

I'm still happy with my slower machines and even my 233MHz iMac G3 running OS 9. I use that for internet access and even that is plenty fast. Of course, OS 9 is faster than OS X in general, anyways.

I seem to be getting a bit off-topic. :)

djtet, it all comes down to what you feel comfortable using. Take into account every aspect. The newer G4 PowerMacs are louder than the dual 800MHz models I suggested by a few extra fans and a few extra pounds on the heat sink. But only you can tell for sure by finding out in person.

Do you like mirror doors? Do you like to fix your hair while on your computer? etc.

When all of your questions have been answered, you'll know which model machine to choose.

And that is the sermon.

Schiffi
Jun 25, 2003, 01:52 AM
Well, I do basically the same work you do, (minus web, and more emphasis on video). I'd go with the current 15"PB if I were you. You could go with the lowest settings if you want to, as they will work super fine with what you are doing, though if you expect to run Panther + more apps in a few years then go 1Ghz. The PC133 SDRAM isn't too limiting since no sys requirements yet specify anything faster. I would go with the 15" PB mainly because it is the last Mac to be able to boot into OS9. Since you work with Illustrator and Photoshop, I doubt you'll want to repurchase them anytime soon. My sys spec should be in my sig, but remember I also do video work so you won't need as expensive of a Book to do your work, but it won't hurt.

I doubt you'll want a Powermac since you're use to portablity.

djtet
Jun 25, 2003, 07:29 AM
i really appreciate all the input...i guess what i really am trying to say is that the fastest mac i've worked on is my g3 300 ibook. i don't know what anything faster than my ibook feels like. i want a computer that will last a good couple of years (at a decent price). i have a monitor that i can use for the time being and my software is all of the latest versions, so i only need the computer itself. Unfortunately, the closest place to me that sells apple products is over 3 1/2 hour drive! that's why i need all of your input!...and i appreciate it.

Originally posted by Schiffi
I doubt you'll want a Powermac since you're use to portablity.

actually, i would rather have a desktop. for now, i don't see a portability need for myself!

djtet
Jun 25, 2003, 09:39 AM
on macconnection.com they have a refurbished dual 1.25 (rev B) for $1499. i'm pretty sure that ground shipping is free, and that i wouldn't have to pay sales tax. of course i would have to spend another $80??? for a stick of 512MB of ram... does this sound like a good deal?

the only thing is that since it's a rev B is has 1mb of l3 cache instead of the 2mb of l3 cache that the rev A (which is being sold by apple) has. but will this even make a difference, based on what i'm using the system for?