Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheWitePony

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2003
Hey

I'll get right to the point, as I just realized this a few moments ago. I get paid on Thursday, which is a big deal for me cause now I can afford a 15" pb. And as much as I would have liked it, no G5 pb yesterday...oh well. However, the 15" are desperately due for an update, right?? I mean, first of all they aren't up with the latest tech like the 12 and 17, plus those price drops(which seemed oh so perfectly timed for a WWDC update). Not to mention they haven't had an update since November of last year. So, am I right to assume we are CERTAIN to see some kind of an update before the end of the year, if not MUCH sooner?

That being said, the most logical time for such an update would be MWNY, right? .....another month :( . I just hope I can restrain myself from doing something rash; I have been known to be sort of an impulsive buyer at times. I have never owned a Mac and I have longed for one ever since OSX was released.

I pray the updates come sooner, rather than later...

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I dunno man, I've been saying for months that people should wait because the 15"ers just *had* to be right around the corner. Problem is, I'm still left here saying that while apple makes a liar out of me. I'm stunned that there are no G5 powerbooks, not really because I expected G5s so much as I couldn't see any other explanation for not at least bringing the 15" up to speed with the others. The Tibooks are old now - very old. I simply can't understand why there wasn't a minor update months ago if there is no G5 overhaul coming (as now seems to be the case).

So I guess I have to say keep waiting, becuase there *have* to be updates coming. But of course, I was saying the same thing in april. :confused:

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
Well, I make it very simple. I will get a powerbook 15" as soon apple gets on the with the program, I'll buy it. If they want my money, and thousands of people like me who are not gonna buy overpriced gagbage Ti books, they better introduce G5 books asap. PERIOD.

P.S. Maybe at macwold thingy in july they will do something about it.

KBFinFan

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2003
Connecticut, USA
From the MacCentral article on the main page of this site, I get the feeling we'll see the new G4 Al Books soon.... but a G5 laptop is something I'd expect next year at the WWDC

-kb

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
My advice:

Don't wait forever. Take one for the team. If you give in now, you get a 1GHz processor, a 60GB Hard Drive, and Superdrive.

If you can wait, then you will be rewarded eventually, but not soon.

Perhaps come MWNY2003 there will be new Powerbooks. But if so, I strongly doubt it will carry the G5 processor. I say this because Apple has spent so much time in perfecting the G5 desktop machine that Apple should spend the time and effort to perfect the G5 portable.

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
Dude, I think most people would settle for G4 at this point. Just do the damn minor upgrades. Like bump the speed to 1.25Ghz G4. Put good DDR memory in. Fast firewire, airport ex, new casing. That's pretty much what I need. for $1999 I'd buy it.
After all, macs go down in price slower than Pcs, if they come up with G5 pbooks like by next year, I can sell it, chip in some money and get the new one if I need. But sorry, I dont hink 867 G4 with Sdram for 2K bucks cuts it this day.

Anyone with me?

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Originally posted by Rezet
Dude, I think most people would settle for G4 at this point. Just do the damn minor upgrades. Like bump the speed to 1.25Ghz G4. Put good DDR memory in. Fast firewire, airport ex, new casing. That's pretty much what I need. for $1999 I'd buy it.
After all, macs go down in price slower than Pcs, if they come up with G5 pbooks like by next year, I can sell it, chip in some money and get the new one if I need. But sorry, I dont hink 867 G4 with Sdram for 2K bucks cuts it this day.

Anyone with me?

How can they try to market a G4 PB after having the vastly faster 2 GHz towers? Clock for clock the G5s are suppose to be faster than the G4s too. $3000 for an outdated laptop? G5s compete with P4s... and they have high end P4 laptops... how does that make G4 laptops look?

G4 < G5
G5 = P4
G4 < P4
G4 Laptop < P4 Laptop

Screw powerbooks... and they call them a pro line. :mad:

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
Originally posted by ZildjianKX G4 < G5
G5 = P4
G4 < P4
G4 Laptop < P4 Laptop

Screw powerbooks... and they call them a pro line. :mad: [/B]

The series of four mathmatical comparisons of different processors quotes above are both true and false in three out of four circumstances.

G4 < G5 is the only true statement.

Re: G5 = P4

Incorrect. Specific Photoshop tests run faster than a P4, because the application is specifically designed to fit the needs of the architectural velocity engine engraved on the G5s. The P4 is faster at scrolling tests and certain specific gaming tests.

Re: G4 < P4

Incorrect. Refer to the previous argument.

The only difference is more Photoshop tests make the statement true, and more gaming tests make the statement further true.

Re: G4 Laptop < P4 Laptop

Incorrect. Refer to the second previous argument, and refer to the G4 Laptop instead of G5.

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
There is no approximate key, so I used "=". The G4 laptops are still a joke compared to high end P4 laptops (especially for the price). I'm very dissapointed with apple at the present time.

oomega1

macrumors member
May 29, 2003
i am thinking if they do a minor update on the 15inch its really stupid. I rather they put their money into making a nice product then to just do minor updates. Although there was an article already an yahoo article saying there will be no g5 for a long time to come on the NEW POWERBOOKS, and that motorola is here to stay. But only ibm is able to take it to the next level tells me, hmm geez not much improvements for the new powerbook, the only thing they will add is the basics ? air extreme, al case, and fw800 a maybe? maybe a new graphics card?. i dont know. And more $$$$ And so all that to come and delay was sars? Just coming to conclusion that the speed enchancements are probably there and capable, i wouldn't buy one till then. But then i'm already upset when steve mentioned the 12 inch and the 17 inch then the pause. As if he was gonna mention the new 15inch pb or some type of road map. He knew exactly what we were waiting for and made everyone hold their breathe. bleh.

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
Well, Here is a deal.

Sony Notebook that is P4 2.66 Ghz is $1399.

Mac is G4 867 Mhz is $1999.

Do you think that G4 867 Mhz can beat 2.66 Ghz Sony at anything? Seriously! I mean I doubt that even photoshop is going to save 867Mhz G4.

Well forget the 867 Mhz. HOw about 1Ghz G4? for $2399. It's a $1000 more but do u think it can compete with Sony laptop?
Pro Line is a Joke, and I agree.

Well, I have a better question. How about if they mac G4 1.25Ghz. Do you think it will be able to compete with 2.66 PC?

Specs for Sony can be found here (If link works):

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&catoid=-8026&qp=0&bookmark=bookmark_4&oid=73942

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i'm also waiting for a PowerBook. desprately waiting.

i'm starting to doubt that G5 PB's will be here before the end of the year, but hey. it is Apple, and they do like to surprise.

but i'd be happy if the new 15" had the same features as the 17" and only a 1.2GHz G4.

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
Doubt G5 books will apear earlier than maybe a year away from now.
At this point it seems that if you need Desktop, Get G5 powermac, if you want Laptop, get PC. 2.6 P4 Sony is only $1400. Seems to me a like a good deal comparing to G4 pbooks.

I have to decide now. Whether I want G5 Pmac or Pc laptop.
I cant wait another year. I have work and I have college starting this september. And that the longest i can wait.

Paladin

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2002
Houston, TX
Uhh...maybe the G5s aren't ready for mobile use. Did they release the G4 Powerbooks with the G4 Power Macs? As of right now, I think the G5s would run too hot and drain the battery too quickly. When they're ready, they will be released. Just because you want one, it doesn't necessarily mean that Apple has the ability to make it happen. And why would they steal the thunder from the new towers? Be patient, notebooks always get the new processors after the desktops.

Wyrm

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2003
Toekeeyoe, Japan
Doubt G5 books will apear earlier than maybe a year away from now.
At this point it seems that if you need Desktop, Get G5 powermac, if you want Laptop, get PC. 2.6 P4 Sony is only $1400. Seems to me a like a good deal comparing to G4 pbooks.

I have to decide now. Whether I want G5 Pmac or Pc laptop.
I cant wait another year. I have work and I have college starting this september. And that the longest i can wait.

That's an odd comparison - and it mainly depends on what software you have or need. I don't see much of a comparison based on performance, since laptops aren't real performers in any sense of the word.

I'll tell you what I prefer and why:

OSX is a great OS, for me, but then I like UNIX.

The Powerbooks are "cooler", in my opinion and more of an engineer's laptop than a Wintel one. I find they are built better, and have more thought into their design. I've seen some strange Wintel laptops - enough for me to believe that the people designing the case and the innards, never meet.

If my experience is any testament, then in 1, maybe 2 years that Sony is going to feel slow, or die althogether (not Sony's fault really - only if you run Windows), (Sony will probably stop supporting it too), you'll be lucky to get sleep to work (a P4 laptop doesn't go very fast when it has crashed), and god-forbid if your configuration gets messed up. Keep those recovery disks handy! I got a Sony 505 after my Mac... I still use my Mac, and the Sony is a bookend.

I still use a Pismo (Powerbook 2000), and dang, it ain't fast, but it works really well - with every OS upgrade it works faster (unlike Windows stuff) - I also use Windows, and although it's getting better, I find I still need to re-install every couple of month to clear out the garbage. I've never re-installed (just upgraded) since 10.0 on my Mac. Why haven't I upgraded the laptop? Well, I've never HAD to - and that is the PowerBook for you.

On Windows, I always find I need to fiddle with something to get it to work right. If you like doing that, great, then a Wintel box is for you.

If you use Linux on the other hand, it's a toss up, but then I find OS X has more eye-candy. It's the simple things in life, like being able to do what you want to do, that make life better.

You have to decide for yourself if the price difference is worth it. I think it is.

-Wyrm

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
Well, to me it seems like you are just a PC basher.
Looks are good, but i dont have to sit there all day and look at how cool icon looks and admire Pbook's stylish design. I have stuff to do.
I don't really know what upgrades you are talking about, I'm currently on PC and have been on pc for over 10 years now. And although I had problems with pretty much all of then :( I still don't consider this a current Pbook offer - a good value. I was looking to switch to apple mainly because i thought G5 will be faster and we use macs in school more often. I agree that Pc isnt that great of a machine, but cmon, do u really think its worth to pay over a thousand more for a slower computer just so that a computer looks cool and perhaps crashes little less?
I do admire OS X and that is a big part of why i want to switch, but apple isn't making switching easy. If I was driving BMW 7x and lived in a "crib", maybe I didn't care that much. But College is expensive and car payments bite too. Im not complaining about money problem, and hapend it to be upgraded, i wouldnt complain about money at all. But at this point, I think your argument is weak.

PB180

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2002
PC Bashers? Well...

Hey Rezet, this is a *Mac* fan/rumor site... most of us frequent the boards because we believe that our Macs are superior to the PCs we could have bought!

Sure, the PM G5 is out now, and it kicks ass. But the PowerBook line was sweet last week, and they are still nice machines now. Plus, as a student, you can get some great deals on new Macs. (esp. check out the 12" PB...) Plus, a new mac will last forever... I used my trusty PowerBook 180 as an everyday computer until I upgraded to an iBook last year. (my desktops were on a more regular upgrade schedule!). That trusty PowerBook still works, but it now belongs to my younger sister.

That said, I'm dying for a new 15", and I'd be happy if they just changed the case, added Airport Extreme, BT, and a faster G4... I just want it soon!

Wyrm

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2003
Toekeeyoe, Japan
Well, to me it seems like you are just a PC basher.
Looks are good, but i dont have to sit there all day and look at how cool icon looks and admire Pbook's stylish design. I have stuff to do.
I don't really know what upgrades you are talking about, I'm currently on PC and have been on pc for over 10 years now. And although I had problems with pretty much all of then :( I still don't consider this a current Pbook offer - a good value. I was looking to switch to apple mainly because i thought G5 will be faster and we use macs in school more often. I agree that Pc isnt that great of a machine, but cmon, do u really think its worth to pay over a thousand more for a slower computer just so that a computer looks cool and perhaps crashes little less?
I do admire OS X and that is a big part of why i want to switch, but apple isn't making switching easy. If I was driving BMW 7x and lived in a "crib", maybe I didn't care that much. But College is expensive and car payments bite too. Im not complaining about money problem, and hapend it to be upgraded, i wouldnt complain about money at all. But at this point, I think your argument is weak.

Ha ha ha. PC Basher? No. Wintel Basher, sure why not? I've used both - and I currently like the Mac better.

Re: Good value.
That's why I tried to make my post "in my opinion". For me, I'd rather have stability than speed. UNIX than Win32, OSX over Windows, I like less frustration. $1000? To me IT IS worth it: better built, stable, less frustration, some cool candy and style that lasts much longer than a Wintel box. To me, these are worth more than pure speed. For you, well, you need to choose what is best for you.

Buying a computer is like flushing money down the toilet anyways - but I've found I can flush money down slower with my Mac than a Wintel (usually a big chunky-corny-dump all at once). Is this worth $1000 more upfront? In my opinion, yes.

In a year, both the PowerBook and the Wintel are going to be slow, and outdated - which one ages better? Everyone I know that has a Mac has been pretty satisfied, there is always something new to discover that makes life better, and fun, even when they know it is slower than a cheaper Wintel. People I know who buy Wintels ALWAYS refer to it as a "PIECE OF ****" (excuse me) after a while (pretty much without exception).. sometimes they use more colorful words, you do the TCO math. ;)

If you need pure speed, well, then you should be looking at a desktop. Portability vs speed is always a trade-off. I use my PBook for taking it with me, I don't use it for heavy calculations - so in this case I can use it as long as it works. So far so good.

-Wyrm

Rezet

macrumors 6502a
Well, Wyrm, i agree with many things you say.
Computers, cars ... they arent good investments at all. And I DO realize macs age slower. That's one of the PRO points in my opinion. You right at that if i buy a pc, in a 2 yars it will be worth around 400 bucks. While Pbook may still be worth over a thousand. Having to look at ebay at how much 500 Mhz ti still costs, I must admit that you are right.

Well, maybe you are right on this.

OK can u answer a few questions then?
How much is 1ghz 15" pbook is lower than 2.6Ghz P4 laptop overall, would you say? In percents.
Also Do you think SDRAM slows down 15" alot comparing to DDR?
WHich one would you say is FASTER 12" Pbook or 1Ghz 15"? And why? And Do you think even though 12" uses DDR and 15" SDRAM, it affects performance at all?
And just to know how fast 15" is, for myself, since i never worked with macs for real, If I launched Unreal Tournament on it which is G4 733 req speed, do u think it would go smoothly? would 12" perform better/worse?
And last, do you think it's a good choice to buy 15" now?

beefcake

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2003
Baltimore
I really want to get a PB, I'll admit that. However, it gets harder and harder to justify it every day. I know it will age slower, but it's difficult to get over the fact that it is slower and more expensive. I really want someone to convince me it's the right purchase to make.

Schiffi

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2003
Missouri
I bought a 1Ghz 15" PowerBook. I also got 1024Mb of RAM. Believe me it is fast.

What? you saying a PC can open a photoshop document 3secs faster! I guess I put my money it the wrong place, eh?

Personally, I am a patient man. Even though my computer is not the fastest, I do have the pleasure of conecting to networks w/o having to know any settings, having few crashes (none to make my sys unresponsive), using the best browser ever, iLife, and no Microsoft Windows! Now don't get me wrong Windows is good for somethings, namely an abundance of games. However, these "toys" do not let me choose my computer choice. I am a little let down w/o Airport Extreme, since I will be left out of g networks. I just hope my college will use b in the libraries. Now I can deal with apps opening a few seconds slower than many cheaper PC substiutes, but I consider my Mac of higher quality than these PCs. I'm hoping to make my powerbook last through college, so as long as I won't break it, I'll be set.

I didn't get applecare because the price is really high, and I've never needed a warrenty before. Except when someone broke my non-apple MP3 player a few years ago...

ZildjianKX

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2003
Well, Here is a deal.

Sony Notebook that is P4 2.66 Ghz is $1399.

Mac is G4 867 Mhz is $1999.

Do you think that G4 867 Mhz can beat 2.66 Ghz Sony at anything? Seriously! I mean I doubt that even photoshop is going to save 867Mhz G4.

Well forget the 867 Mhz. HOw about 1Ghz G4? for $2399. It's a $1000 more but do u think it can compete with Sony laptop?
Pro Line is a Joke, and I agree.

Well, I have a better question. How about if they mac G4 1.25Ghz. Do you think it will be able to compete with 2.66 PC?

Specs for Sony can be found here (If link works):

http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&catoid=-8026&qp=0&bookmark=bookmark_4&oid=73942

I really agree with you.

I had all my money set to buy the latest and greatest PB that Apple was going to reveal... but I feel there is no point now. I felt that boosting the powerbooks to a G5 would give enough of a speed boost to justify the handsome purchase. Since that's not going to happen now, I guess I'll spend my money elsewhere.

Edit- Anyone feel frustrated that they think Apple might be trying to screw them over by saying no G5 PBs just so you'll go out and buy one, then 3 months later a G5 PB comes out?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.