PDA

View Full Version : iChat AV 2.0

Schiffi
Jun 24, 2003, 07:39 PM
This new version of iChat is very useful. For instance the ablity to use groups (Preferences>General>Check "Use groups in Buddy lists"). Not only this but I there is also the ability to create "chat rooms" using Cmd+G. By light of these new occurances, I say we start a "macrumors" chat room for us to use instead of IRC. This is just a thought.

P.S. To see ppl's name in the chat room go to View>Show Names or View>Show Pictures and Names.

P.P.S. Oh yeah, there is also the little feature of audio and video conferencing that's new.

Ensign Paris
Jun 24, 2003, 08:08 PM
The chatroom feature has been there since v.1

And the chatroom MacRumors has been used fairly frequently in the last few months :D

Sorry to be mean :s :(

Ensign

dricci
Jun 25, 2003, 03:09 AM
I bet you didn't know this!

From my own post at my own forum (http://www.pctomac.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=309):

Have friends using ICQ? - iChat AV (in an undocumented, and probably unsupported feature) can communicate with Windows ICQ users using the latest betas of either ICQ or ICQ Lite (This will NOT work with the Mac verison of ICQ at this time.). Simply add the user's ICQ number as a friend or send an IM to it, and you'll be chatting with them (if their version of the ICQ software is supported). NOTE: Because of ICQ's security features, the ICQ user might appear as offline in your buddy list until they "Authorize" you as someone who is allowed to add them. There is no visual notification of when this happens in iChat like in the ICQ client. Let me restate this again: This does NOT work with the current ICQ for Mac OS X.

Moe
Jun 25, 2003, 01:16 PM
When I heard Steve say in the keynote that iChatAV would be Mac to Mac only, I could understand video not being compatible with Netmeeting, since it's connection is based on AOL IM and Netmeeting isn't (uses Internet Locator Service or MSN IM to find on-line users/buddies).

But I just couldn't believe that audio chats couldn't be done with PCs using AOL IM w/audio chat. Got the iChatAV beta, and YGBSM... it DOESN'T voice chat with AOL IM on the PC! Neither does AOL's Mac client!

Since I use that a LOT with my 84 year old dad who can't type, and since my wife won't give up Netmeeting video chats with the granddaughter across the country, it looks like we won't be "switching" any time soon.

Any PC user that saw Steve making a big deal out of AV chat probably got a big laugh. We've been doing this for years... and once upon a time there was CUSeeMe, initially developed on Macs.

Rower_CPU
Jun 25, 2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by Moe
Any PC user that saw Steve making a big deal out of AV chat probably got a big laugh. We've been doing this for years... and once upon a time there was CUSeeMe, initially developed on Macs.

Really? You've been doing AV conferencing with no setup, or entering of IP/phone numbers?

Moe
Jun 25, 2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Rower_CPU
Really? You've been doing AV conferencing with no setup, or entering of IP/phone numbers?

Yes.

Rower_CPU
Jun 25, 2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Moe
Yes.

Care to elaborate? I've never seen anything as simple as iChat AV.

Schiffi
Jun 25, 2003, 04:23 PM
I believe MSN messenger for the PC can do AV conferencing.

Moe
Jun 25, 2003, 06:31 PM
Care to elaborate? I've never seen anything as simple as iChat AV.

As mentioned, MSN IM can start a Netmeeting session with a buddy. Netmeeting can also log onto an ILS server, where all you need know is a buddy name. When a user starts Netmeeting, it transparently passes the current IP address to the server, and when you select them from the ILS menu, that IP is passed directly to your Netmeeting client. All very easy to do, at the click of a button.

Rower_CPU
Jun 25, 2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Moe
As mentioned, MSN IM can start a Netmeeting session with a buddy. Netmeeting can also log onto an ILS server, where all you need know is a buddy name. When a user starts Netmeeting, it transparently passes the current IP address to the server, and when you select them from the ILS menu, that IP is passed directly to your Netmeeting client. All very easy to do, at the click of a button.

Thanks for the info.

Moe
Jun 25, 2003, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the info.

You're welcome. It really hurts to see Apple fallen so far behind in this area.

Netmeeting allows AV chat users to collaborate using a shared whiteboard for notes and rough sketches, as well as share applications or even the entire desktop, at the simple click of the mouse.

It also allows a guest lecturer to teach a remote group from his office PC. And that's true even if the group is using something like a Polycom teleconferencing unit, since it's standards based.

I was hoping for a lot more out of iChat2.

Rower_CPU
Jun 25, 2003, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by Moe
I was hoping for a lot more out of iChat2.

I think iChat AV is just the start of Apple's work in this arena. Given the fact that they've only had a chat client for 10 months or so, they've come a long way.

If Apple sees the need, they will try to fill it. Make sure to submit a "enhancement request":
http://www.apple.com/feedback/ichat.html

Moe
Jun 25, 2003, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the link. I will use it!

alset
Jun 26, 2003, 09:32 PM
Anyone else buy an iSight?

Dan

Rower_CPU
Jun 26, 2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by alset

Dan

Yup. :D

NNO-Stephen
Jun 26, 2003, 11:55 PM

Dan

no. you can always send me one though :)

altivec 2003
Jun 27, 2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Moe

If i'm not mistaken, and i read this in the new york times, that Microsoft included audio and video chat in MSN just the same day as apple announced icat av. Also, according to David Pogue (who wrote the article) ichat's video quality is much better and the framerate is superior to that of msn. Of course i am not too much up to date on pc software and they might have had this functionality earlier as a plug in or something.

Moe
Jun 27, 2003, 04:47 PM
I'm not sure why they did this other than perhaps to compete more directly with Yahoo Instant Messenger which has had webcam capability for some time. I can't remember how far back it was that Microsoft hooked NetMeeting into their chat client, but PC users have been running NetMeeting AV chat for over 5 years. My son did it all through college with friends at other universities. I ran a White Pine Meeting Point server for multi-user CUSeeMe and NetMeeting chats a few years ago, 'til funding for that software dried up, and they could have group AV chats. Also ran an ILS server for the NetMeeting users. Sure, things are better now with VGA resolution and Firewire. We were using parallel printer port cameras back then, and later only USB1.

Codemonkey
Jun 27, 2003, 05:05 PM
And this isn't jsut some Machead's heresay, we upgraded all the PeeCee IM clients in the office, and it's an absolutly _rank_ application. The interface is arbitrary, messy and confusing, you have three choices of size for video: small, smaller and microscopic, and they've just _started_ to add features that iChat has had since the word go (backgrounds, for one).

Everyone needs to remember that it's taken M$ !SIX! *freaking* *versions* to get to where it is now, and iChat has managed to gain all it's ground *within* *two* versions. Nevermind an 84 year old grandparent who can't type, what about an 84 year old that can't strain to see the video? Or hear the crackly, low-fi audio?

By managing to keep the requirements so high, they'll succeed in providing the best possible user experience compared to the competition.

And for the record: NetMeating is for gay pr0n. Not family video chat.

Moe
Jun 27, 2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Codemonkey
And for the record: NetMeating is for gay pr0n. Not family video chat.

I'm straight, so I'll have to take your word about the gay stuff. None of my business if that's what you use it for.

We've used it for family stuff at home, and research collaboration at work, for years.

alset
Jun 27, 2003, 10:09 PM
I think iChat AV will be a great opportunity to "meet" other MacRumors members. I have become friends with a few users from this site, and only one lives in my area (thus, I only know what one person looks like).

This would have been a godsend when I was a teen.

Dan

wsteineker
Jun 28, 2003, 01:50 AM
This would have been a godsend when I was a teen.
Heh. Fair enough, then. ;)

synthetickittie
Jun 28, 2003, 11:35 AM
ichat as it is right now (and will even get better with this verison in beta) fixes all the bugs well besides for 2 little ones that I can definitly live with. I do love the video but this doesnt help me because NONE of my friends have macs so I cant use it. I'll still be using yahoo messanger untill aim for windows, if they ever do, gets this and will work with ichat users. Yahoo definitly has a lot less quality but less quality is better then higher quality that I cant use as of yet. Now I do know apple can't help this they just have to wait for windows programs to join them..

BigJayhawk
Jun 28, 2003, 04:15 PM
Most people are talking about the "V" in iChat AV but there is also the "A" for those of us who don't have the $150 yet.

I installed it immediately and my 3 1/2 year old son gets a kick out of talking to Grandpa (TiBook to TiBook) on the computer instead of on the phone.

iChat AV dowloads plus $0 and now there's a new toy. Thanks Apple!

spacemanspiff
Jun 28, 2003, 05:07 PM
Getting through to ICQ doesnīt seem to work. How exactly do you add the ICQ contact? I only have the choice of adding a .mac account or an AIM account. Maybe itīs because Iīm using a German version?

HasanDaddy
Jun 29, 2003, 01:12 AM
iSight ROCKS

I grabbed one and bought one for the GF as a bday gift

its REALLY cool

also --- for those of you only using audio, the iSight microphone is VERY GOOD (much better than the built in computer one)

I HIGHLY recommend iSight to everyone --- well worth it!

peterjhill
Jun 29, 2003, 01:46 AM
I just got my iSight a few days ago. The video quality is nice. I have not had a chance to try it out much, as I have been in the Hospital with my wife for the birth of our new (and first) son, Carter.

I am kind of bummed that you can't use the isight in imovie as a dv source.

HasanDaddy
Jun 29, 2003, 02:00 AM
Peter - are you sure that you can't?

Rower_CPU
Jun 29, 2003, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by HasanDaddy
Peter - are you sure that you can't?

Yes, it doesn't work with iMovie or FCP3 (haven't tested/heard about FCP4).

buffsldr
Jun 29, 2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by peterjhill
I just got my iSight a few days ago. The video quality is nice. I have not had a chance to try it out much, as I have been in the Hospital with my wife for the birth of our new (and first) son, Carter.

I am kind of bummed that you can't use the isight in imovie as a dv source.

Congrats on upgrading to Family 3.0 I hope the upgrade is smooth for all of you. Do you have others in your family or friends that are mac users with whom you can chat? I think that is a big problem for a lot of people. If i had anyone in my family or circle of friends that were mac users, i would get iSight.

ouketii
Jun 29, 2003, 12:03 PM
i hope isight will eventually be compatable with windows, its a cool little camera. maybe, like with ipod, 3rd parties will make software for it to work. heres hoping

stuckwithme247
Jun 29, 2003, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by ouketii
i hope isight will eventually be compatable with windows, its a cool little camera. maybe, like with ipod, 3rd parties will make software for it to work. heres hoping

it's funny how much windows sucks. iSight isn't even really special, just a firewire video device, which should work without a need of drivers or updates (like on os x) :)

DakotaGuy
Jul 2, 2003, 07:28 PM

Dan

Hell no. All my friends have PC's for the most part and have to use Yahoo Messenger or MSN and that cam only works with iChat AV. You can buy cams that will work with all different kinds of software. I liked the looks of the iSight and then the more I read the only supported software is iChat. I can use the Firewire iBot with Yahoo Messenger which I have tons and tons of buddies on my list. Maybe I am wrong about this, but this is how I read it. The cam will not work with anything but iChat and not very many I do video with even have a computer that will run iChat. I use iChat as an AOL/AIM client, but that is about the only way I can use it.

jbomber
Jul 3, 2003, 02:16 AM
i like iChatAV. it's better than the original version in EVERY way. definitely the best thing to come out the WWDC announcements. Nobody has any complaints about it.

chibianh
Jul 3, 2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Abercrombieboy
I liked the looks of the iSight and then the more I read the only supported software is iChat.

You read wrong, sir. iSight works with a number of different software, including yahoo messenger.

bcsimac
Jul 9, 2003, 01:30 PM
iChat AV looks cool and sounds cool, but I can't use any of the features. I have an old iMac rev B which is only a 233....as far as I can tell the V part only works with G3's that are 600 mhz or higher and have an iSight camera....can't use a regular dv camera as Apple has already stated in knowledge base that DV cameras aren't supported on any G3 mac. The audio might work....but I would have to get an external mic to find out....plus $29.99 is high for a guy like me....I will stick with the free IM clients thank you.

trevor7578
Aug 31, 2003, 09:32 AM
Try this out:

http://www.ecamm.com/mac/ichatusbcam/

Problem solved!