Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LVzardoz

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2003
Las Vegas
Originally posted by gbojim
From what I've been told - the problem with using the 970 in a notebook is not heat. The issue is the 970 does not have the same low power modes as the Motorola G4 that allow the chip to run in various energy saving states.

As a result, battery life would be horrible with a 970 in a notebook.

It seems a lot of folks at Macrumors are upset that an Apple VP says a G5 PowerBook is not likely in the near future. The common explanation is too much heat, blah, blah.

So why not "Think Different" and bring out a "DeskNote" 970 machine? When is the last time MOST people who own notebooks actually used them without being plugged in?

Frankly, I love portability but I rarely need to be that far away from an AC outlet. Without battery concerns, the weight would go down, heat would be lower, and power concerns could obviously be minimized.

For those times away from AC, you could even provide an optional powerful EXTERNAL cabled battery source. An external battery would not be restricted by the size/shape necessary for inclusion in the DeskNote chassis and could therefore be both more efficient and less costly. You might even make an external mouse, trackball, or keyboard unit do double duty as a temporary rechargeable battery source.

astray

macrumors member
May 9, 2003
uk
While i think this is the best idea yet, i don't think it will happen as it would make apples already extensive range of machines even more confusing. What would be the difference between the iMac concept and a desknote, both are small form factor machines with lots of features. It would end up being the iMac Pro.

LVzardoz

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2003
Las Vegas
I think the iMac appeals to a different group of buyers. I can't see tucking an iMac into an attache case for a business meeting in another city but I could see that with a DeskNote. I don't see the iMac really appealing to business users or more traditional PC users. A DeskNote would be a better fit.

I think Apple should try to expand its userbase by presenting solutions to fit different consumer groups. The DeskNote concept could satisfy the "power user" who also wants room-to-room or city-to-city portability but who doesn't necessarily spend a lot of time using a notebook where AC power is not available. I am that sort of consumer.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Re: G5 PB Alternative: G5 DeskNote

Originally posted by LVzardoz
So why not "Think Different" and bring out a "DeskNote" 970 machine? When is the last time MOST people who own notebooks actually used them without being plugged in?
Who would want the battery built into their notebook computer?

Those who need to use them on airplanes. Those who need to look somehting up when not near an electrical outlet.

You can wander into an Apple store and use their wireless network, but I don't believe they let you plug into electricity normally.

New York City has free wireless access points (hotspots) in several public parks, but no electrical outlets.

What about pepole who use wireless access in Starbucks? There is no electrical outlets for them.

Students who want notebooks for taking notes in classes won't have access to electrical power.

Not everyone sees the same needs, which is why many different models of things are made. The 15" Powerbook best fits my needs for a laptop. Something that used an external battery would not. It would also be more difficult to carry around.

LVzardoz

macrumors member
Original poster
May 24, 2003
Las Vegas
Bear,

Sure, there are plenty of "unplugged" uses. There are plenty of users who clearly "need" a notebook. But none of this negates the fact that there are also consumers who want portability but would prefer more CPU horsepower rather than more battery power.

I want a very portable Mac for music production. This does NOT mean I need batteries since AC power is readily available in any environment I will use a computer.

A Desktop Mac does NOT fit my needs and a Notebook Mac has less CPU horsepower than necessary for CPU-intensive applications. A DeskNote would likely meet both requirements. I would guess there are others who have similar needs.

WannabeSQ

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2002
You need something like an xserve and an LCD display with a custom case. That way you get dual 1.33ghz g4s, no battery. Probably not feasable, but I see where you are coming from. I don't think apple will make something like this any time soon. But you say a desktop is not practical for you to bring? Not knowing what exactly you do, or use the computer for, I would think that you could rackmount a computer and put it with the synths/audio gear or whatever you have. Just a guess.

bennetsaysargh

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2003
New York
i think it would be awesome. apple i think needs something like this to bring them up a little bit. it would also use the same port for an external battery as it does for AC. sure it means one more thing to carry, but i think it i would be great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.