PDA

View Full Version : iSight ---> new LCD Displays

pinks
Jun 25, 2003, 07:35 AM
This may very well have been mentioned before without my noticing...

...but the firewire connection on the iSight might suggest that new LCD Displays will be coming out in the near future which feature FW connections on the back of the display. (the Cinema displays currently feature 2 USB sockets). This would make sense to allow people to have the camera plugged into the display and not the tower, which for many people, is tucked away somewhere inubtrusive.

Apple may very well take this opportunity of a redesign to make more fundamental changes to the Cinema display range!?

Pure speculation, of course, but food for thought.

What do you think?

- Al

Mr. Anderson
Jun 25, 2003, 07:52 AM
That would be quite cool and make a lot of sense. I was actually expecting new displays to show up at WWDC to go along with the new G5.

I wonder how long it will be before we see them - and what about all those rumors talking about it.

I do think that the whole range will go to the wide format and who knows, maybe we'll see something bigger than the 23" - which would be nuts. :D

D

benixau
Jun 25, 2003, 08:06 AM
feasable and logical. would seem likely - just one thing -> does the current ADC connector have the pins for it?

MetallicPenguin
Jun 25, 2003, 08:15 AM
Oh yeah, that pin thing could be a problem, but they could redesign them, no? Either way it is a very good idea.

evildead
Jun 25, 2003, 08:45 AM
the old displays dont match the new G5.... they have to do something about it. the iSight matches the G5... it would only make sence that they make a matching display

pinks
Jun 25, 2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by benixau
feasable and logical. would seem likely - just one thing -> does the current ADC connector have the pins for it?

good question, does anyone know whether ADC can carry firewire connections?

Rower_CPU
Jun 25, 2003, 01:31 PM
The questions this brings up, of course, is if the current ADC connection doesn't have the pins/throughput to support it, then Apple will have to come up with another proprietary monitor interface. I know that lots of people wouldn't be happy with that.

blogo
Jun 25, 2003, 01:58 PM
Maybe they are just waiting for some new technology to get the displays even better and cheaper.

Rower_CPU
Jun 25, 2003, 02:00 PM
Actually, I'd like to see the BT antenna built into the screen, along with a BT mouse and keyboard...Apple going wireless would be great.

Mr. Anderson
Jun 25, 2003, 02:01 PM
Ok, leave the current connector and run a firewire cable to the monitor. Sure, its not as eligant, but it works. And if you machine is under the desk to have a firewire port on the monitor would be fantastic.

D

Mehmet
Jun 25, 2003, 03:17 PM
heres the pinout;
http://www.ati.com/support/connectors/pinouts/pinoutsforadc.html

anyway, maybe apple can release modified firmware for the video cards, and for the newer cinema displays that have firewire, they use the USB lines, and for the old ones the firmware detects it being old, and uses the USB lines as USB..

even though USB and firewire are totally different, one can dream no? :D