PDA

View Full Version : New iBook look anytime soon?

itmdramaguy
Jun 25, 2003, 08:53 AM
Does anyone have a guess on when the iBook will finally get a new look and new processor. I have been waiting over a year for them to upgrade the iBooks look because it has been a very long time since the iBooks look was changed. Do you think that the next update to the iBook will be a complete revamp like the iMac?

caveman_uk
Jun 25, 2003, 09:06 AM
I really like the ibook look. It fits with the all-white consumer hardware theme. My only complaints are that the case should be harder to scratch and that the screen should brighter. Obviously an altivec enabled processor would be nice but that ain't happening until the powerbooks ditch the G4.

If you remember this ibook style was a replacement for the larger 'toilet seat' models. If anything the imac caught up with the ibook look...

Kwyjibo
Jun 25, 2003, 10:04 AM
the product is mid-cycle and probably won't see and update till midfall. They already slightly changed the look too from crystal white and silver to opaque white and white, I knowthat does seem like a big deal but if you sit them next to each other it might make a sifference to you too.

itmdramaguy
Jun 25, 2003, 10:24 AM
I like the iBook look but don't want to buy one soon if there are going to be new ones with a faster processor in it. I am afraid that it won't have the power that I am used to. I have a iMac G4 700Mhz. How does a G3 compare to a G4?

MacBoyX
Jun 25, 2003, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by itmdramaguy
I like the iBook look but don't want to buy one soon if there are going to be new ones with a faster processor in it. I am afraid that it won't have the power that I am used to. I have a iMac G4 700Mhz. How does a G3 compare to a G4?

I own a 700MHz iMac G4 and a 12" 900mhz iBook G3. The speed is nearly identical for 90% of what I do. The only thing that is a TINY bit faster is ripping songs in iTunes (9x on the iMac, 8x on the iBook).

The iBook rocks, it is a great portable. I highly recommend it. I hate to say it but the G4 700 is not that fast compared to the G3 900. Also, my G3 900 is easliy as fast as my 667 PowerBook was.

MacBoyX

Please note...640 MB of RAM in the iBook, 768 in the iMac!

tjwett
Jun 25, 2003, 03:07 PM
The current iBook is probably one of the best machines Apple has ever produced. My girlfriend has the 900mhz with the white plastic palm rests and it kicks so much ass. I'm actually a bit mad at myself for not getting it instead of my 12" PowerBook. So far, it's given me a lot of trouble and it was $600 more. The 900mhz iBook is so great. I can't say it enough.

iShater
Jun 25, 2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by tjwett
The current iBook is probably one of the best machines Apple has ever produced. My girlfriend has the 900mhz with the white plastic palm rests and it kicks so much ass. I'm actually a bit mad at myself for not getting it instead of my 12" PowerBook. So far, it's given me a lot of trouble and it was $600 more. The 900mhz iBook is so great. I can't say it enough.

I agree 100%. My iBook is the 800Mhz model, and this baby flies with max RAM. I work on a 1.4GHz P4 at work, and I can't wait to get home and use the iBook. A beautifully designed machine with a lot of power.

Only slowdown is rendering effects in iMovie, which I don't do often, and a G4 (or G5 :D ) would be better for that now.

I am actually planning to get an external keyboard to compliment the mouse and will be hooking the iBook to my 17" monitor as my main workstation now.