Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
I want to make a video that has the option to play two different ways.

So in the menu you would have the option to play normal, or extended versions of the video.

The "extended" version would reference clips from elsewhere on the DVD and intergrate these clips into the feature throughout.

Is this possible with DSP? I want to do this so that I can save space on the DVD. Although I know that it won't be seamless as the DVD will have to seek for those extra clips.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Hi 'Demon,

I think so - if i understand you correctly, your 'normal' play would be the extended version minus some clips?

Regardless, I would create chapters for various sections of your footage and then make 'stories' based on which chapters you want to make your 'normal' play and your 'extended' play.

You might also be able to use scripting, but i found that a large part of what scripting can do, stories can achieve the same result.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Keebler

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
This can also be done using scripts. Have one of the two play options set a register from 0 to 1, and then at the end of the chapter before an "extended" part, have it jump over to a script that checks if the register is set to 1 or 0, and then either resume playing or jump over the chapter that is the extended part.

But to be honest, I believe "stories" are more appropriate than using a script, but I like scripts, so that's the way I prefer to do things. ;)

My point is simply that there are multiple ways you can do it. Good luck!

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
Id argue scripts, and a simple variable would get this done easily, quickly, and cleanly.

Create your movie, complete with the extra stuff, in the timeline, one single layer/angle.

Wherever there needs to be a jump over the extra stuff, because they chose the normal edition, youd have a marker (chapter or other, doesnt matter).

This marker will have a script attached to it.

your script will look for a variable.

this variable is set when the user selects Extended or Normal.

if the script sees the variable set by Extended, the movie continues as normal.

if the script see the variable set by Normal, it skips to the next marker.

very cursory explanation, but honestly, if you want to do this right, you gotta know a little bit.

ppc_michael

Apr 26, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
This can also be done using scripts. Have one of the two play options set a register from 0 to 1, and then at the end of the chapter before an "extended" part, have it jump over to a script that checks if the register is set to 1 or 0, and then either resume playing or jump over the chapter that is the extended part.

Id argue scripts, and a simple variable would get this done easily, quickly, and cleanly.

Create your movie, complete with the extra stuff, in the timeline, one single layer/angle. Wherever there needs to be a jump over the extra stuff, because they chose the normal edition, youd have a marker (chapter or other, doesnt matter). This marker will have a script attached to it. your script will look for a variable. this variable is set when the user selects Extended or Normal. if the script sees the variable set by Extended, the movie continues as normal. if the script see the variable set by Normal, it skips to the next marker.

very cursory explanation, but honestly, if you want to do this right, you gotta know a little bit.

:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.