PDA

View Full Version : how long til G5 iMacs?

mike czech
Jun 25, 2003, 02:34 PM
I am trying to justify spending $3G to move into the "fast lane" with a G5 and flat panel display... I am now on a well worn iMac DV G3 400, and while it still works, it's really hindering some of my audio editing work. I don't need PCI or FW800, just a fast processor and a reliable OS.

How long did it take the G4 to make it into the iMac line? I just want to know if I should exercise some patience and wait for the consumer line to get G5'ed before I spend too much. Then again, since the base G5 is only $200 more than the 17 inch iMac, it's really only the monitor cost that would be the difference...

Decisions, decisions...

MacBoyX
Jun 25, 2003, 02:49 PM
OMG! It's not even in the PowerMac Yet.

There will not be a G5 iMac ANYTIME SOON. I would be expecting at least a year or more.

There will be no G5 PB's this year no iMacs, no G4 iBooks either

Just because Apple changed a chip doesn't mean it's overhauling it's complete line up. OOOH MAN how long was it before the G4 got into the iMac? Quite a while!

If you want a G5 go out and buy one. Don't wait. Besides, you're doing a good thing by investing in your company!

MacBoyX

edesignuk
Jun 25, 2003, 03:01 PM
If all your doing is audio work, save some money, and get an "old" DP1.25GHz or 1.42GHz G4, either would easily fit your needs and save you some cash (I would think).

cubist
Jun 25, 2003, 03:02 PM
Well, you can't "go out and buy" the G5 PowerMac yet.

I would think that the LCD iMac, as a "prosumer" machine, would be getting the G5 somewhat sooner than MacBoyX predicts. However, it probably won't be in the next three months. I wouldn't expect it before MWSF.

If you're doing audio editing, I think you'll be wanting those PCI slots sooner than you think... and you'll be wanting big hard drives too. You've certainly gotten your money's worth out of your iMac DV. When you're ready to move up, make it a move that's worthwhile.

tjwett
Jun 25, 2003, 03:15 PM
To the original poster; I do music production and some post work and I suggest you pick yourself up a dual G4 PowerMac and spend all that extra money on storage, RAM, and some awesome plugins. Unless you are scoring the next Star Wars soundtrack I don't think there is anything you could throw at a late model dualie that it won't handle. Most likely the software you are using right now is optimized for the G4 anyway. I don't think you NEED the G5. The G5 is for pulling tree stumps out of the ground.