PDA

View Full Version : Advice regarding swollen battery

Joe K
May 18, 2007, 02:38 PM
Hi, the battery of my MBP 17" CD is getting swollen, I took it to the Apple certified service center here in Guatemala and they are gonna give me a new one, the thing is it's gonna take a couple of weeks until the new one is here.

Because the battery is swollen the button of my track pad doesn't work, it gets jammed like I'm clicking, the battery pushes it from the bottom, taking out the battery solves the problem.

I'm working on a short film in FCP right now and I need to keep using my laptop but the apple site advices to not work with the laptop without its battery because it lowers the procesor speed.

What should I do? should I keep working for the next couple of weeks with the battery? does that can damage the button of the track pad? or should I keep working plugged to the wall and w/o the battery?

Thanks for your advice

jdechko
May 18, 2007, 02:58 PM
It's definitely not safe to work with the damaged battery in place. I suggest you remove the battery, plug the computer in and continue working. The least of your problems will be the "slower speeds" if there is any discernible difference at all. Leaving it in means a potential for fires (and lets face it, if your MBP caught on fire, you'd have bigger problems) and possibly permanent damage to your laptop (the trackpad button for instance).

We have a saying here "Better safe than sorry." Just take the battery out and wait for a replacement.

If you absolutely have to have a battery, just buy a new one.

NYmacAttack
May 18, 2007, 03:04 PM
I would never work with a bulging battery. No increase in speed is worth the chance of a big problem.

Joe K
May 18, 2007, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the advise, I'm gonna keep working without the battery, now my only concern is dust in the battery comparment.

Thanks again